Camera & Lens Combo Question

NeptuneNeptune Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
edited February 10, 2007 in Cameras
I have the 20d with the 100-400mm L and would like to combine the Canon 1d Mrk II N with the 300mm f/2.8 L....

But my real question is if I have this combo and I want to put the 2x teleconverter on it, will I lose the AF totally or wil I still have AF in the center? I know you lose AF in most caes but these are two high caliber pieces of equipment!

I found the MrII N for $2200 on line and didnt want to commit without weighing out my options.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 3, 2007
    The 300f2.8 IS becomes a virtual f5.6 with a 2x TC.

The IDMkll will AF easily with an f5.6 lens, and even an f8 lens will AF with the 1DMkll.

A 20D WILL NOT AF at f8, but certainly will at f5.6 Mine will even AF at f6.3 in goodlight.

I use a 300f2.8 IS L with a 2X frequently with a 20D, it is light, and easily handholdable, altho I prefer using a small ground pod with it - it gives results like this
    116897032-M.jpg

More can be seen here

Check the EXIF data becasue not all were done with that combo - but if it was a 20D and 600mm it certainly was and there are several shots in that gallery captured that way. I will be using it next week in Viera again also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • NeptuneNeptune Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    The 300f2.8 IS becomes a virtual f5.6 with a 2x TC.

The IDMkll will AF easily with an f5.6 lens, and even an f8 lens will AF with the 1DMkll.

A 20D WILL NOT AF at f8, but certainly will at f5.6 Mine will even AF at f6.3 in goodlight.

I use a 300f2.8 IS L with a 2X frequently with a 20D, it is light, and easily handholdable, altho I prefer using a small ground pod with it - it gives results like this
    116897032-M.jpg

More can be seen here

Check the EXIF data becasue not all were done with that combo - but if it was a 20D and 600mm it certainly was and there are several shots in that gallery captured that way. I will be using it next week in Viera again also.

That is a really sweet shot!

The reason is that I do a lot of surf photography and I dont want to spend the $ for a 600mm when for the same price I can get a MrkII N and 300mm f/2.8 and with the 2x it gives me the focal length without lugging around 10+ extra pounds.

I am just trying to have the gear without a lot of unneeded gear!

Thanks for the advice!
  • lyric poetlyric poet Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 3, 2007
    Cameras > Camera & Lens Combo Question
    I' ve found some tests in the net. It were comparisons between the canon 2x extender and the Kenko 2x extender. The quality of both was the same (Super quality). But there was mentioned, that the Kenko extender does work with Canon cameras even when the lens has a smaler aperture then 5,6 and the canon extenders wouldn't.
    My tip: Try to compare Canon to Kenko.

Hope, I could help you and Kind regards from lyric poet.
    Neptune wrote:
    I have the 20d with the 100-400mm L and would like to combine the Canon 1d Mrk II N with the 300mm f/2.8 L....

But my real question is if I have this combo and I want to put the 2x teleconverter on it, will I lose the AF totally or wil I still have AF in the center? I know you lose AF in most caes but these are two high caliber pieces of equipment!

I found the MrII N for $2200 on line and didnt want to commit without weighing out my options.

Thanks for any advice
    edited February 3, 2007
    Thanks Lyric Poet!

I was also wondering if I would be able to use the 2x with the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS, even though I would lose the AF capability, would I lose any image quality despite having to MF the lens. Solution until I can get $$$

It is all about money as most of us know ...:cry but I am always looking to improve my gear!

I saw in another thread about waiting til March for the new release of Canon's Pro line which will bring the price of the MrkII N down.

Just looking for feed back before then....

Thanks for the comments!
    edited February 3, 2007
    Cameras > Camera & Lens Combo Question
    Hello Neptune,

http://www.traumflieger.de/desktop/telekonverter/konvertertest2.php
    - may be this tests can give you a clou. Traumflieger tested also 2x extenders. Its a test written in German. But the test-fotos will show you many things without reading the discription.

good luck - lyric poet

Neptune wrote:
    Thanks Lyric Poet!

I was also wondering if I would be able to use the 2x with the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS, even though I would lose the AF capability, would I lose any image quality despite having to MF the lens. Solution until I can get $$$

It is all about money as most of us know ...:cry but I am always looking to improve my gear!

I saw in another thread about waiting til March for the new release of Canon's Pro line which will bring the price of the MrkII N down.

Thanks for the comments!
    edited February 3, 2007
    this review has been made very good and compares even 1,4x to 2x and dito to zooms. http://www.traumflieger.de/objektivtest/telekonverter/telekonverter_check.php
    Neptune wrote:
    Thanks Lyric Poet!

Thanks for the comments!
    edited February 3, 2007
    lyric poet wrote:
    this review has been made very good and compares even 1,4x to 2x and dito to zooms. http://www.traumflieger.de/objektivtest/telekonverter/telekonverter_check.php

lyric poet...thanks but I have one question for you.......

What does it say at the bottom about the 100-400mm?

It looks like you lose quality no matter what kind of extender you choose.

That sucks! wonder why that is? headscratch.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 3, 2007
    The use of TCs with GOOD prime lenses works pretty well. Canon 300f2.8 IS L, Canon 500f4 IS L, OR 600MMF4 IS L

But the use of TCs with zooms does not work near as nicely.

I own and use the Canon 100-400, and used properly, it will provide fine shots. But it is not as sharp at 400mm as a good, first rate prime like the Canon 400f2.8 IS L, and a 2X TC just magnifies those defects in the zoom.

It would be nice if we could find a free lunch, but you know how that is:D

For surf shots, be sure to include funds for a GOOD tripod also. It will improve your optics significantly.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited February 4, 2007
    Thanks for all you help!

I have to keep saving for the goods I guess !
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    The use of TCs with GOOD prime lenses works pretty well. Canon 300f2.8 IS L, Canon 500f4 IS L, OR 600MMF4 IS L

But the use of TCs with zooms does not work near as nicely.

I own and use the Canon 100-400, and used properly, it will provide fine shots. But it is not as sharp at 400mm as a good, first rate prime like the Canon 400f2.8 IS L, and a 2X TC just magnifies those defects in the zoom.

It would be nice if we could find a free lunch, but you know how that is:D

For surf shots, be sure to include funds for a GOOD tripod also. It will improve your optics significantly.

15524779-Ti.gif While you will be able to AF, with a zoom + 2x converter it just isn't worht the effort IMHO. I used a 70-200/2.8IS + 2x TC on my 20D and while the AF worked just fine--even in low light, the resulting images were disappointing to the point that I passed on using the converter the next day. From examples I've seen posted, in good light with primes it's a different story.
    edited February 8, 2007
    Thanks for the comments!

I still have to rob the piggy back for the setup I want but it's all good!
  • AlpineManAlpineMan Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif While you will be able to AF, with a zoom + 2x converter it just isn't worht the effort IMHO. I used a 70-200/2.8IS + 2x TC on my 20D and while the AF worked just fine--even in low light, the resulting images were disappointing to the point that I passed on using the converter the next day. From examples I've seen posted, in good light with primes it's a different story.

That's because Canon's 1.4x and 2x TC's are really geared to be used with Canon's super telephoto lenses...although I do get marginal results with my Canon zooms...but nothing like using these TC's with the supers.
    Chino Hills, CA

Canon: 7D, BG-E7, 50/1.2, 85/1.2 II, 16-35 II, 24-70, 24-105 IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 100-400 IS, (2) 580EX II, MR-14EX, 1.4X II & 2X TC
    Other: Sigma 150/2.8 Macro, Kenko Tubes