Professional quality prints at home?

KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited February 4, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Hi all,

I typically order my prints from Shutterfly for my albums and exhibiting/donations. I was talking with a friend who swears he can't tell the difference with his printer at home. I have a photo printer, Epson Stylus Photo RX500. I can see a big difference in the quality of the photos, feels different and when you put them in an album they stick to the plastic that holds them in. Is there any way to get a photo printer that will print high quality photos without breaking the bank?

Kristina

Comments

• 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    I too am interested in the replies to this question?
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited February 4, 2007
    Me three. ear.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    Scott Kelby, in his book DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY, recommends these from Epson: For Printing Lab Quailty at:upto 8 X 10 - Epson Stylus R800
    , 13 X 19" - Epson Stylus R2400, 16 X 20 - Epson Stylus Pro 4800....these are the 3 he says he owns and uses...why 3 different printers?, he does not explain but I figure it is to keep wear and tear down {also he can afford it}.
    He states that all the PROS he knows ALL USE Epson.....he reasons (paraphrased) are they are easy to use and have fantastic 24hr customer service.....He also recommends the use of Epson Papers or Red River papers....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    I am now very happy with my R1800, though I didn't start out that way. It took a LOT of tinkering around to get the results I have now.

Now that I have the 1800, and I see the results it can provide, I am looking at the 3800! :o The reason is the TINY ink tanks that the R1800 has, it will cost a fortune to keep printing at home.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:
    Hi all,

I typically order my prints from Shutterfly for my albums and exhibiting/donations. I was talking with a friend who swears he can't tell the difference with his printer at home. I have a photo printer, Epson Stylus Photo RX500. I can see a big difference in the quality of the photos, feels different and when you put them in an album they stick to the plastic that holds them in. Is there any way to get a photo printer that will print high quality photos without breaking the bank?

Kristina

I'm curious why you would order from Shutterfly when you have a smugmug account?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm curious why you would order from Shutterfly when you have a smugmug account?

Only because I always have since before I had smugmug. Also, I tend to order prints with little time to spare so I am fearful of the mnot looking quite right. I tend to be one of those 'if it aint broke dont fix it, at least until you know it will work still" lol No offense to smugmug printing at all! I am just a creature of habit