Options

Comic...too much not enough?

thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
edited February 5, 2007 in People
I wanted to try the 'drawn' effect, but as I'm not suppose to be messing around with photos because I'm at the mid-term part of my school year, I just stuck to mixing filters and got this effect.
I really enjoy it- but maybe its not enough into the drawn effect and still looks too much like a picture. I like the idea of it being like a 'penned' comic a more dark, sophisticated look as opposed to the straight out comic with the really defined lines and bring colors.
If anyone has any ideas for doing a really good job of this I'd like to hear them because I can try them on our school 'reading week'.
Tell me what you think anyway- a mix of 'fresco' and 'poster edge' filter on the computer.
Or just C&C's I'll take any of it.
Thanks,
Ashley
Green is the way to be!
ashleyharding.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    I like the effect, very neat.

Were you thinking of something along the lines of this vectorization tutorial?

http://www.melissaclifton.com/tutorial-vector.html
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    interesting effect Ashely. However, I'm not sure the black stippling effect works on the face... (it's fine in the rest of the pic). On the face, there is no difference from what looks like 5:00 shadow and the black stipples on the cheeks, nose and forehead so it kinda looks likes he's on his way to getting a really fuzzy facene_nau.gif

now get back to studying (says the prof mwink.gif )

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    Not sure about this pic...headscratch.gif The dots all over his face makes him look like he has a 5 o'clock shadow everywhere. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    Not sure about this pic...headscratch.gif The dots all over his face makes him look like he has a 5 o'clock shadow everywhere. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    I really like this pic but I have to agree with the others on the black dots all over the face.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    In regards to the 5 O clock shadow on the nose - try this:

A) Modify the image up to the point that your about to stipple it.

B) Create a copy of the layer.

C) Stipple the copy LAYER not the original background layer.

D) Choose the erase tool, and a nice fuzzy brush - erase the stipple from the places it doesn't belong, like his nose and forehead. Take it all from his face if you want - whatever suits you it's YOUR image.

Fiddle around with where the stipple looks good and were it is distracting.

Overall, I like the effort - You might find that you've burned out your creativity on this image and need to try your new idea out on another to get the flavor your looking for, that's what happens to me from time to time.

Regardless, I like where you are going with this, you can still tell there is a photo under there, but the effect adds enough additional intrest that it is not a distraction, but is an enhancing effect. That is the line your trying to walk up to. :D I particularly like the fact that the conversions haven't effected the sharpness in his eyes. thumb.gif
    --Kres
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    nice try, but as others have stated, he appears to have stubble all over his face.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2007
    Thanks for all your replies. I was so elated with the nice outline of his face I wasn't looking at what the dots made his face look like- or didn't think it was overly bad...opps.
    I've been trying some of the suggestions you've come up with but I'm not completely satisfied with the results. During my reading week I'll try it again though.
    Actually, with this picture the filters I used made his eyes sharper than they were in the original. One reason I was playing with this picture in the first place was because I liked it but it was a tad too oof on the eyes.
    Thank again for all you comments.
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2007
    One of my tries, what the heck, tell me what you think...
    Green is the way to be!
  • Options
    OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    Much better!