Options

Custom PC specs for CS2

jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
edited February 13, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I am going to get a custom PC dedicated to running CS2 (CS3 eventually) for photography - no vector work.
I have looked at this site and archived Fred Miranda threads. Also talked to Adobe.

I am considering a MacBook Pro. But let's take that off the table for now :thumb. No need for all the Macheads to try and convert me. :bow

But I have some specific questions on a configuration. I plan on getting:
64 bit processor (either AMD or Intel)
4 GB RAM
Win XP Pro
Dual DVI video card, preferrably w/ independent color profiles
2 hard drives - one for OS & PS, other for scratch & data

I own a 400GB external Seagate for archive & backup already

My main question is on drive configuration - is 10K rpm really that much better than 7200, or overkill? On both drives, or just one? I'm thinking a 80GB 10K for my main would be good with a 160GB 7200 for data/scratch.

Any suggestions on the video card? No gaming expected on this box.

My price point is about $1500 (or less). I have monitors already. Just dying w/ my 100GB partitioned single 5400 rpm HD on a P4 2 Ghz & 512 MB RAM (no joke - bought it when XP came out) :cry :cry

Comments & feedback welcome (Nikolai, I know you are out there)!
"Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
-Fleetwood Mac

Comments

• Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    IMHO, you don't need the noise or heat of the 10k rpm drives. Go with Seagate SATA drives - 80 GB for the OS/Apps, and 250 GB for the data. I just got them and they are essentially silent (and fast and cheap).
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I am considering a MacBook Pro. But let's take that off the table for now thumb.gif. No need for all the Macheads to try and convert me. bowdown.gif

Ah, you're no fun!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,205 moderator
    edited February 4, 2007
    Agree about not needing 10K rpm drives. Big drives, yes. Only video editing or gaming should one consider the speedy spinners.

Graphics card: good to middle level quality/features is more than adequate. That it could offer dual display output would be a big plus to handle dual monitor support, which is becoming quite popular these days. You can safely save some $$ by not going deluxe.

RAM: Go the biggest you can. I have 2GB and with XP, PS, Bridge and various other running processes, I seem to be routinely at 800MB with 1BG left for layered images (not enough!). Your 4GB sounds good, although Windows currently caps running capacity at 3GB.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    I wouldn't bother with the 10k drives either. Otherwise, looks good. I'd go with a dual-core chip, makes a difference. That and as much drive space as you can stuff in the case. You should easily be a ble to put together a very nice system for that budget--I did. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:

My price point is about $1500 (or less). I have monitors already. Just dying w/ my 100GB partitioned single 5400 rpm HD on a P4 2 Ghz & 512 MB RAM (no joke - bought it when XP came out) :cry :cry

If I had this - I sure as heck wouldn't be spending 1500 on a new computer. I'd max out the RAM, buy a PCI SATA controller - two big SATA drives - and the Vista ultimate upgrade.

Then I'd take the other $800 and buy some new glass. I'm sure I'll get railed for suggesting this though.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    Yep, sure will.

I had a PC bought at the same time (received it from Dell exactly one week before XP's official release--with XP loaded). I had a similar budget and went to newegg for a DIY machine. It's well worth the upgrade (Athlon X2 4200+, 2GB RAM, over 1TB of drives on SATA II RAID controllers--some RAID 0+1, some JBOD, PCIx dual-DVI video card, no more hourglass). Still on XP, I won't be messing with Vista for quite a while--XP works and works well, why change for some eye candy, new bugs, missing drivers, and all-new DRM issues?
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    Yep, sure will.

Heh, I thought I'd get railed for the other part - didn't think about the Vista. Even without the Vista upgrade, I stand by my suggestion.

And regarding your list, I'm not starting a Vista defense thread, but at least give this a read to clear a few things up:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-6156413.html?tag=sc
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    If I had this - I sure as heck wouldn't be spending 1500 on a new computer. I'd max out the RAM, buy a PCI SATA controller - two big SATA drives - and the Vista ultimate upgrade.

Then I'd take the other $800 and buy some new glass. I'm sure I'll get railed for suggesting this though.

The problem is the board won't take any more RAM. I had to dig up an AGP card w/ VGA/DVI monitor (nVidia) to go dual monitor a while back. By the time I get new board, RAM, update old DVDx1 burner ( rolleyes1.gif ), etc. I might as well get a new PC (& processor).

BTW - the old one isn't going to waste, my son will use it to play games on cartoonnetwork.com
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    The problem is the board won't take any more RAM. I had to dig up an AGP card w/ VGA/DVI monitor (nVidia) to go dual monitor a while back. By the time I get new board, RAM, update old DVDx1 burner ( rolleyes1.gif ), etc. I might as well get a new PC (& processor).
    Bleh - that stinks.
    BTW - the old one isn't going to waste, my son will use it to play games on cartoonnetwork.com

That's good news! wings.gif
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Heh. You see, I knew what the limitations were! mwink.gif Really a machine old enough to be an early-adopter XP box is out of date enough to have lived it's useful life as a front-line box and really is time to update everything. I know I had upgraded my old box as far as it would go, a whole new machine was indeed the only way to go. In my case the old box will get loaded with Ubuntu or SuSe and replace the *really* old 300MHz HP box running as a web server.

BTW, interesting link on Vista. I'm by no means a Vista or MS hater, nor am I a defender. I have seen enough individual instances of problems reported already to make me wait a while--mainly driver problems (well, that and I just popped for a new copy of XP a few months ago. rolleyes1.gif ). I do think it's a better idea to wait a while as there are obviously issues still to iron out and *I* certainly don't want to spend my time on the PC being the final level of beta tester.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    *I* certainly don't want to spend my time on the PC being the final level of beta tester.

As a beta tester, you've hit a nerve here - but I'll let it go because I like you. mwink.gif Suffice it to say I think we did a darn good job. Smugmug had problems the day of the new release here. Does that mean that the beta testers here did a bad job? (But really, I know you didn't mean any offense. :D )

One of the neat things about Vista and the new(ish) MS Update system is that it anticipates problems and has the system in place to fix them very quickly.

3rd party drivers - you're exactly right, and this is the main reason for anyone to wait on Vista. If your hardware maker hasn't come out with support yet, what good is upgrading?
  • Options
    DaddioDaddio Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    Advice for a new DIYer
    Pardon the semi-hijack here, but could someone please point me to a good resource to help me plan out the necessary components to build my own killer PC for photoshop, lightroom, etc.? I'm not a complete idiot, but I don't have the time to research the details on every component.

Ideally I'm looking for a site/blog/forum that provides an up to date (updated constantly) configuration with links to the best prices. That's a lot to ask I know, but I figure something like this probably exists already somewhere.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Alan
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    Daddio wrote:

Ideally I'm looking for a site/blog/forum that provides an up to date (updated constantly) configuration with links to the best prices. That's a lot to ask I know, but I figure something like this probably exists already somewhere.-Alan

Alan,

Some places like this do exist, but it's usually where you get the worst advice because most of the people on those sites want to waste money on components you don't need and overclock excessively to endanger the components you have.

I'll say something short here - and if you're at all interesting in hearing more info, or getting information on sites with good prices on parts, send me a PM.

You need to decide if you want an ATX or BTX case - google these, look at the benefits (BTX quieter/cooler, but costs more) and make a choice.

AMD or Intel is the next choice. Then you have to choose which processor line. Core 2 Duo, P4HT, 64 bit?

Then a quality motherboard that fits your processor choice and has the onboard options you're looking for (surround sound?, onboard video?, etc.). That will determine (mostly) what kind/speed of RAM you need.

After that it's as simple as choosing a pretty case (ATX or BTX) to hold it all, a powerful power supply, optical drives, hard drives, memory card reader.

Buy your OS and you're ready to go!

(Man, now I've got the itch to build one again!)
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    Daddio wrote:
    Pardon the semi-hijack here, but could someone please point me to a good resource to help me plan out the necessary components to build my own killer PC for photoshop, lightroom, etc.? I'm not a complete idiot, but I don't have the time to research the details on every component.

Ideally I'm looking for a site/blog/forum that provides an up to date (updated constantly) configuration with links to the best prices. That's a lot to ask I know, but I figure something like this probably exists already somewhere.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Alan

Well, based upon this thread, Adobe's support site, other posts I've made and my local Techies, what I am looking at is Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 processor, ASUS (or similar MB), 2 7200rpm drives (preferably 16MB cache but 8MB is OK), 4G RAM (yeah XP only sees 3, but Vista can do 4), nVidia 7600 video card, 48x CDRW/DVD, & XP Home or Vista Home Premium.

The first drive is for OS & PS, the other for scratch & data. Of course you can do RAID 0 for the scratch and a separate drive for the data (4 drives then). The configuration outlined in the first para. costs about $1200 -$1400 depending upon drive size. Didn't matter if I did Dell E520 or XPS410, HP, Powerspec, or built myself, all were in that range.Some vendors like the ATI x1300 instead of nVidia.

Hope that helps. I'm sure others can jump in and config faster, cheaper or Mac based solutions (strike that - others WILL jump inrolleyes1.gif ) but this seemed to fit my needs at a decent price point.
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    DaddioDaddio Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    Thanks for the response guys. Guess I've just got to dig in and do some basic homework here. You've both given me a good baseline though. That price point $1200-1400 is about where I'd like to stay if possible.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    As a beta tester, you've hit a nerve here - but I'll let it go because I like you. mwink.gif Suffice it to say I think we did a darn good job. Smugmug had problems the day of the new release here. Does that mean that the beta testers here did a bad job? (But really, I know you didn't mean any offense. :D )

One of the neat things about Vista and the new(ish) MS Update system is that it anticipates problems and has the system in place to fix them very quickly.

3rd party drivers - you're exactly right, and this is the main reason for anyone to wait on Vista. If your hardware maker hasn't come out with support yet, what good is upgrading?

rolleyes1.gif No offense intended. I wear those shoes too--I write custom code for in-house use at work. No matter how much I debug & beta-test, something ALWAYS gets through. Considering how much more complex Vista is from my own simple stuff, I am certain some stuff is going to sneak through, and I personally don't really want to be the user who finds it.

Judging from the improvement I saw moving from 98SE to XP (yep, skipped the ME mess) I expect Vista will be a worthwhile improvement down the road. It's just the long, troubled (from what I've read) development gives me pause right now.
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Well, based upon this thread, Adobe's support site, other posts I've made and my local Techies, what I am looking at is Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 processor, ASUS (or similar MB), 2 7200rpm drives (preferably 16MB cache but 8MB is OK), 4G RAM (yeah XP only sees 3, but Vista can do 4), nVidia 7600 video card, 48x CDRW/DVD, & XP Home or Vista Home Premium.
    Almost exactly what I did. Used a Gigabyte DS3 mobo, 2 GB Corsair RAM, 7600GT video w/ dual DVI, Antec Solo, Seasonic S12-430, 8x DVD DL burner, and XP Pro. Haven't even overclocked it yet, but it's so nice. Highly recommended.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72