Photomerge in CS3

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited February 4, 2007 in Technique
Marc (Muench, that is:-) recently mentioned much improved pano stitching capabilities of the Photomerge (PM) CS3.
The one of CS2 never worked for me, but after Marc's post I decided to give CS3 a try.

First of all, I must confirm: PM has been MUCH improved over the previous version. The whole advanced aligning/blending seems to be a great feature of the CS3 thing.

I made it to stitch 2 horizontal shots - no problem

I gave it 6 horizontal shots - a tad longer, but the same seamless result.

The only problen I had with it thus far was that if I start PM from Bridge and give PS a RAW file, CS3 would happily ignore all my sidercar file settings and open the files in a default mode - without even going through the ACR. :-(
Weird, since it does not do this on a regular Open...

Anyway, finally I gave it 22 vertical shots, 8mp each, handheld, minimun intersection. Total image end up being about 85Mp.

Well, CS3 died :cry :dunno :deal Oh, rather, it died trying...
First, it immediately "ate" all the free RAM I had (and I had about 1.7Gb out of 2Gb total), pegged the CPU and stayed in this position... After 30 min I had to kill it. :rolleyes They shoot horses, don't they? (and if you got that, you're old, too:-)

I still wanted that pano, so I resorted to my trusty copy of Panorama Factory. 10 minutes later it was done, most of the time only 300Mb was used, only at the end it get up to a full gig, which it immediately released upon completion.

Funny - CS3 could not even save that file later on, at least in Optimized progressive mode (at quality 8). I had to use Basic. :huh

Bottom line: Photomerge has been greatly improved, but in its current state (yes, I know it's only a beta) it's not ready for some large stitching.

HTH
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    Thanks for the info Nik
    I was curious about PS3 and the pana capabilities....now I know. I'm looking into Panarama Factory as invevitably come spring and summer many more will be on my hard drive....especially going to Colorado again this summer. Do you use Mac or Winders?
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    I was curious about PS3 and the pana capabilities....now I know. I'm looking into Panarama Factory as invevitably come spring and summer many more will be on my hard drive....especially going to Colorado again this summer. Do you use Mac or Winders?
    I'm no pana expert. I did most of mine with film cameras (back in the days of ancient Rome, it seems) but I have fooled with it. I found the stitching tool that comes with Canon cameras to be very useful. Works great! Second, try Picture Window Pro 4 from Digital Light & Color. (www.dl-c.com/). I've been on about it here a few times and no one seems familiar with it. But I bought in tentatively about a month ago and find what I've used to be very impressive, so I'd love a critique of the stitching tool. (The site provides a 30 day trial.)
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    Hi Swartzy,
    Swartzy wrote:

You're welcome! Glad you found it useful!
    Given the direction CS3 going - once again, it's only a beta deal.gif - I'd wait on purchasing 3d party s/w, even such a great one ans PF. It's fairly possible that the release will not be suffering from the said problems, in which case you would not have to purchase a separate tool and introduce another application into your workflow.

Finally: you gotta be kidding:-)
    Mac? Moi? I'd rather go to MacDonald's mwink.gif
    Seriously - I'm a Windows fella:-)
    And considering the time I spent learning its internals and given its spread in the business world (I'm a professional developer) I think I'll stick with it, at least for a next while :-) :D
  • SerratorSerrator Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    Nikolai,

Thanks for the info...you got me interested in trying it myself. Here is a two pic merge from an outing yesterday. I think CS3 did a fantastic job stitching as you pointed out from your tests as well. Now to do a much larger test...

379567049_bb3070abf5_b.jpg
    My Photo Playground:
    www.flickr.com/photos/serrator
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    Serrator,
    Serrator wrote:
    Nikolai,
    Thanks for the info...you got me interested in trying it myself. Here is a two pic merge from an outing yesterday. I think CS3 did a fantastic job stitching as you pointed out from your tests as well. Now to do a much larger test...

You're quite welcome!

Great shot, luvit!iloveyou.gifthumb.gif

Yeah, a few pics seem to be OK. It's just those darn 100Mb+ panos that make it chock yet. I am fairly positive they will improve it by release time. deal.gif