Options

My Lovely Bride

TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
edited February 4, 2007 in People
My wife went to have some "glamour shots" done today. The girls at work had a party and everyone got done up and photographed. I was out on a motorcycle ride.

When she got home and I saw her, I had to take a few shots. Her look is very different than this glamourized version.

In any case, I busted out my lighting equipment for the first time. That consists of one 430EX flash, a silver umbrella and a silver reflector. I shot on manual with an 85mm f/1.8 relying on the camera's meter. I did minor Photoshopping to the best of my limited abilities.

I know the makeup is horrendous, but given that this is my first try with umbrellas/reflectors and only one flash, I'm curious to hear any opinions, pro or con.

Thanks.

127368729-L.jpg

127368764-L.jpg

127368777-L.jpg
"Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site

Comments

• Options
    Jon HarrisJon Harris Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    Hey there... I like the poses and the pictures look good. You have a beautiful wife.

I'm fairly new to the whole indoor lighting thing and it seems like you did a pretty good job. Care to explain your set up as I have the same flash? What ISO were these as well?

~Jon
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2007
    I had the 430 EX bounced into an umbrella on a light stand with the flash head reversed. The flash was connected to the camera with a Canon off-camera cord. It was about 10-12 feet from her, pointed slightly down. The reflector was suspended from a boom on another light stand. It was less than one foot from her face--just outside the frame. I had a table lamp on behind her. Shot is at ISO 200.

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    Very warm lighting. Your wife is a good sport on posing...also very pretty woman. Good job.thumb.gif
  • Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    I do not have any experience with indoor lighting but I think you did a great job with the pics. Of course you had a great subject to work with. By the way saw the comment that you were out riding your motorcycle. What do you ride?

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2007
    Thanks everyone for the compliments. I'll pass them along to Iz. BTW, the poses were all hers; very little coaching from me. She's a natural.

Shane: I ride a BMW 1150RT. I'm slaving away trying to save for a 1200GS. Which is why I haven't been able to by the 70-200 f/2.8 IS L I see in your sig line, or an Alien Bee lighting setup.

Decisions, decisions. . . .

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    Definitely tough decisionsheadscratch.gif Pretty bad when you have two expensive hobbies. My husband rides a Triumph Rocket 3. Pass along the compliments to your wife because she sure is a natural at posing.

BMWs are really cool bikesthumb.gif

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8