Multi-word gallery keywords

W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
edited February 5, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I have multi-word keywords (in the required format, bounded by double quotation marks - for example, "New Zealand", North America", etc) set up for individual photos, that are working well.

However multi-word keywords that I try to set up for galleries don't 'stick'. When I add them to the keywords panel in the 'customise gallery' function and later return to this function, they've gone!

Is this a bug, a feature, or am I doing something wrong? :scratch

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 4, 2007
    Ross,

Can you link me to a sample gallery ?

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Ross,
    Can you link me to a sample gallery ?
    Thanks,
    David
    David

I can't give you an example because as soon as I've assigned a multi-word keyword to a gallery, it's gone again!

Are you suggesting it should work?
    edited February 4, 2007
    Ok - here's an example I've just tried.

This gallery has three keywords - sports, cycling, and wellington.

I went to 'customise gallery', added "trust house" as a further keyword, saved the changes, and was returned to the gallery. When I immediately selected 'customise gallery' again, only sports, cycling, and wellington were there!

It's weird!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    I have multi-word keywords (in the required format, bounded by double quotation marks - for example, "New Zealand", North America", etc) set up for individual photos, that are working well.

However multi-word keywords that I try to set up for galleries don't 'stick'. When I add them to the keywords panel in the 'customise gallery' function and later return to this function, they've gone!

Is this a bug, a feature, or am I doing something wrong? headscratch.gif
    Are you talking about gallery keywords Ross? Just put in the words, they don't work the same way there for some reason. No quotes.
    edited February 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Are you talking about gallery keywords Ross? Just put in the words, they don't work the same way there for some reason. No quotes.
    1. Yes thumb.gif

2. Really - so I can't use a phrase? Seems to me that makes the keywording rather clumsy, particularly for a searcher.

Thanks

Oh - Prince is on stage! mwink.gif
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    2. Really - so I can't use a phrase? Seems to me that makes the keywording rather clumsy, particularly for a searcher.
    I don't know how much of a real difference it would make on searching to lack keyword phrases on galleries. If you add "trust" and "house" as two separate keywords, searchers will find your gallery if they search for "trust house" which is probably all you were trying to accomplish anyway. Yes, they might find some other forms of trust and house, but the results with both in them should rank near the top of the results list anyway. Try it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited February 5, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Try it.
    Thanks for your input. I understand what you're saying, but the justification for providing multi-word keyword capability for individual photos must apply to gallery keywording, surely? ne_nau.gif

I didn't start this thread to argue the SmugMug design philosophy, just to find my way past what I thought was a misunderstanding on my part. I suspect what I've stumbled over is a functional inconsistency that might well be just an accident of the development history.

My bet is that if they had the opportunity (or, perhaps, the encouragement), they would bring the keyword capability for galleries into line with that for photos in a moment.

I would like to request that this be done. It's not a new feature I'm suggesting, just that this anomoly be corrected. thumb.gif
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    Thanks for your input. I understand what you're saying, but the justification for providing multi-word keyword capability for individual photos must apply to gallery keywording, surely? ne_nau.gif

I didn't start this thread to argue the SmugMug design philosophy, just to find my way past what I thought was a misunderstanding on my part. I suspect what I've stumbled over is a functional inconsistency that might well be just an accident of the development history.

My bet is that if they had the opportunity (or, perhaps, the encouragement), they would bring the keyword capability for galleries into line with that for photos in a moment.

I would like to request that this be done. It's not a new feature I'm suggesting, just that this anomoly be corrected. thumb.gif

I agree with your sentiment. I was just suggesting a work-around that might also solve your problem.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited February 5, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I agree with your sentiment. I was just suggesting a work-around that might also solve your problem.
    Thanks again.