Options

Panoramic aspect ratio

mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
edited January 17, 2005 in Technique
I'm about to stitch together three shots into one wide panoramic. My question is, is there an accepted aspect ratio for panoramics? For example, am I more likely to find an off-the-shelf frame if I stick to a certain ratio?
Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
A former sports shooter
Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Comments

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'm about to stitch together three shots into one wide panoramic. My question is, is there an accepted aspect ratio for panoramics? For example, am I more likely to find an off-the-shelf frame if I stick to a certain ratio?

I see a lot of 4x10 frames out there. Not sure about the larger sizes?

Dave
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited January 17, 2005
    I copied down the answers from another forum when this same question came up. The concensus from several people was that stock frames were available in 4 x 12", 6 x 18" & 12 x 36". All 1:3. As to where to get them, that I didn't write down. Hope that helps.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    Crop it so you have the best possible photo, then build a frame around it.

I have just started to look into matting and framing photgraphs, and from this brief forey into the subject, I don't think the frame will be much of a problem. It's the matting that will get you. If the photo is an odd size (likely from what you posted) your only choice will be get a custom mat cut specifically for the photo, or buy a mat cutter and learn how to use it.

The frame sides can be purchased seperately at almost any length. So you can build a custom size frame from stock pieces.

Here are two links for you to look at.

Sam

Museum Quality Archival Mats, Frames & Mounting Supplies. - IconUSA
    Frame Destination Home

Picture Frames, Mat Board, Framing Supplies, Prints and Posters - American Fra