Options

Flashpix?

xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
edited February 4, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
:huhCan anyone help me understand the Flashpix format and how it is used? I've heard of it for years, but don't see it in use often. Seems to me that storing a photo in several resolutions at the same time would be very popular? The app I've been using lately (Picture Window Pro 4) lets me save in Flashpix format, but I'm not clear on why I might want to.
X www.thepicturetaker.ca

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited February 4, 2007
    headscratch.gif I've never heard of a flashpix format.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    headscratch.gif I've never heard of a flashpix format.
    It's been around a while. Wikipedia has details. And I've seen it listed here in threads dealing with RAW format in Nikon cameras. (Beats me?) It was introduced several years ago to a bit of fan-fare. Thing is, I never could figure out the why-for? Thought someone here would have an angle.
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    Flashpix was invented in the 90s (I think) but never really became a standard. It has some nice ideas, but it is essentially obsolete at this time. It may have been intended as a way to help reduce download times back in the dialup days, by not downloading more of a picture than necessary.

You will notice that the major players who originally backed the format (Canon, Fujifim, etc) no longer produce any cameras that save to that format.