Options

viovio.com - this seems like a GREAT place!!

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited February 4, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
well, for a future trip to europe I was looking for a great place to get a book printed that would allow me to make a really big book. and viovio.com offers an AMAZING price for a GREAT book!!!! check out these prices!

Orientation Landscape
Dimensons 14"x11" / 35x28 cm / 1008x792 pts
Paper 100lb Gloss
Binding Wire-O Spiral Binding, True Lay-Flat
Cost *Introductory Price*
$5.99 Base Price + $.40 Per Page

Normal Price
$7.49 Base Price + $.50 Per Page
Bulk pricing is available

of course, it's spial bound, but there's a review from the dpreview.com forums, and it says that he didn't think he'd like the sprial binding but it wasn't as bad as he thought it'd be! what great news!

here are some quotes!

from the dpreview.com forum:

anyway, just wanted to post some general comments on the photo book that i received from viovio.com

* placed the order on the 4th and got the book (14 inches x 11 inches) on the 12th. although i'd love to have the book on the next day, 8 days for me is not a problem.

* my preference was for a large, landscape oriented photo book. viovio is kinda lame in that the two largest sizes are 9 x 7 (perfect binding) and 14 x 11 (sprial binding). i don't like spiral binding but that's the only kind of binding you can get if you want something larger than 9 x 7. i think greg said that they'd be offering more options in the future and i hope he's right.

* even tho i don't prefer sprial binding, it's not as bad as i thought it'd be.

* the most important issue for me is the quality of the paper and images. my humble opinion is that it's good. keep in mind that i ordered the 14 x 11 so i don't know how the 9 x 7 looks with the perfect binding but the portfolio photo book i ordered looks pretty good.

* i wish the cover page were thicker but that's not a deal killer for me.

* the photos looked better in this portfolio book than the images from the book i ordered from mypublisher. i don't know anything about printers so i'll leave it to people like greg to speculate. someone suggested that my colors were off cuz i didn't calibrate my monitor but since the pictures look better in the book from viovio, i'm inclined to believe that my monitor is not the key factor.

* for the price i paid, i'd say that viovio's pricing is excellent. i paid more at mypublisher and shutterfly, though it's not an exact comparison cuz i ordered leather covers from the other places.

* i'm too lazy to go to their websites now to find the terms used but the covers from shutterfly and mypublisher are just okay. i ordered what i thought would be the "nicest" cover and that involves that little see through window that allows the viewer to see the picture on the inside page. i personally am not a big fan of that format. with viovio, you can design your own cover and if you've got photoshop, you can make a pretty good looking cover.

* it's possible that the people at viovio don't like me cuz i posted a critical comment regarding their poor interface design but i think the final product is pretty good.

* i'd like to order another book but choose the smaller 9 x 7 format. i dread the thought of such a small book when you've got pictures that just beg for SPACE but there's no other choice if you want perfect binding. image a landscape oriented picture of a horizon but printed on a 9 x 7 page! ugh. such a contrast between concept and execution! if they offered perfect binding on their 14 x 11 portfolio books, i think it'd be great.

* i like the size of the pages in their portfolio books. nice and BIG!

* although i'd like to try the 9 x 7 book next, i'd also like to give apollo and iluma, etc. a try....

well, those are my initial thoughts. i hope others who have experiences with other photo book sites will give us all a review...

from another source:

Hey everyone,

Vio Vio is an excellent place to get stunning quality of your photos printed in various sizes of books - one of which is a portfolio size, so you can get a professional touch if you ever need to display your work. I just ordered a photobook from them for myself and was extremely impressed with the product. What's really cool too is that you can customize how you want your pages to look by uploading your own .pdf file! There's a lot of stuff to do on the site, too, not just upload your photos. You can have your own blog, and they have a travel section too, where you can share information on places you've been and read what others have to say. It's quite awesome. I've been having a lot of fun with this site so far!

well, just wanted to share with y'all!!!!

- RE

EDIT: here's a link to pictures of the actual "portfolio books" - they look imporessive! - http://www.viovio.com/photos/gallery/135/4921
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4