Ohhhh Snap, Bmx Photos At New Park !!!

illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
edited February 7, 2007 in Sports
These were taken at the first public allowed BMX park in AZ, theres over 15 skatepark and only this one allows BMX, isn't that weird ????????

JohnnyStevensInvertRS.jpg

JohnnyStevensLookbackRS.jpg

JohnnyStevensTuckNoHanderRS.jpg

JohnnyStevensAlleyoopLookbackRS.jpg
~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 4, 2007
    That second one is very cool. Stretched so far out. My only comment
    would be to dial back the flash just a tad.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited February 5, 2007
    These were taken at the first public allowed BMX park in AZ, theres over 15 skatepark and only this one allows BMX, isn't that weird ????????

Yes, it is, especially since Arizona is home to the ABA (different kind of BMX'ing though). Question... why no helmets or safety pads? Does nobody use them anymore?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Yes, it is, especially since Arizona is home to the ABA (different kind of BMX'ing though). Question... why no helmets or safety pads? Does nobody use them anymore?

Some people still wear helmets but they're not required in this skatepark.

edited February 5, 2007
    Some people still wear helmets but they're not required in this skatepark.

Required at many of the parks here. What I don't like to see are the manufacturer brochures and ads for street and freestyle in mags where safety equipment aren't shown on the riders. That's just bad.

Oh, and I'm lagging on mentioning that your shots above are inspiring (photographically speaking) - ...I'm certainly never going to ride a bike this way. Eeek!
    My Smugmug
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 5, 2007
    Your buddy is good, and you're a good shot (you know it too :D)

But the old man and one time race promoter and cycling team president will echo what David said: if you want a brochure or magazine shot, do the right thing and get a helmet on!

I know you're young and invincible, and it's just not cool. I'm guilty of it too. But let me tell you, when your friend goes down right next to you on a training ride in what is a basic little nothing of a crash and then you have to hold him as he goes into convulsions, well, that's just not cool. damhik.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited February 5, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    (advice...)... get a helmet on!
    I know you're young and invincible, and it's just not cool. I'm guilty of it too. But let me tell you, when your friend goes down right next to you on a training ride in what is a basic little nothing of a crash and then you have to hold him as he goes into convulsions, well, that's just not cool. damhik.

Happened to you, too? One of ours was permanently paralyzed after a helmetless fall on an inspired race-training stretch (1970's, B4 helmets hit the main stream). And there were other, less tragic happenings in our other club since then. Many many others. Helmets. nod.gif They're for everybody.
    My Smugmug
    edited February 6, 2007
    Actually in the BMX street/freestyle world most cover shots are not even with a helmet on. It's hard to explain but its part of bmx, having the choice of wearing a a helmet and not is one freedom that BMX riders get that many athletes dont, BMX is a sport where unless you do it, you will never know the feeling of being free on your bike. It is very dangerous not to tho, one wrong turn or colliding with another rider can cause major damage to the cranium. Thankfully, I haven't experienced it yet, but you dgrinners are making me think of starting to wear my helmet.

edited February 6, 2007
    I can totally understand the participant's choice of safety gear or not. That's fine with me. I too am guilty for not wearing a helmet on a quick test ride, or a 5 block trip to the mailbox or something. Every ride otherwise, the Giro Atmos is on my head, along with the safety sunglasses to protect from bugs and road debris.

Sanctioned events (and club rides) are another thing altogether (which obviously doesn't cover the pics you were taking here). The rider/helmet mandate goes beyond mere insurance liability. More of a responsibility line in the sand. In Amateur racing, and most pro events; road, track, cyclocross, mtb, etc., that line says helmets are a must.

Now, just so you understand the world I come from, I am a life-long cycling industry veteran, having been in the retail end now going on 36 years. I couldn't count on a 640x480 pixel array how many times letters to the editor of trade or consumer publications are sent in by industry people complaining about ads that were run sans helmets on the models. Same goes for product catalogs, in-store flyers... everything merchandising really. This is an industry position that some companies seem to ignore from time to time. And that's now hard-programmed into my brain to notice if I see otherwise. So, no real ding on ya personally. Just the way I think.
    My Smugmug
    edited February 6, 2007
    Actually in the BMX street/freestyle world most cover shots are not even with a helmet on.
    I know, that's the part I'm trying to convince you, as a responsible shooter, to do something about!

To add to David's experience: I managed and a competitive collegiate cycling team for 4 years. Anytime you are wearing a sponsor's name, and especially the school's name, whether riding in a race, or just on a training ride, helmet's were mandatory. You know for a fact helmet's can be cool - slap some stickers on 'em, whatever, but help make them another part of scene for younger riders entering the sport.

Soap box passed.

Then again, I guess it's natural selection at work, right? The riders that aren't good enough end up dead? Wait a minute... A ha! I think I've found a way to get around the doping problem in cycling! Ban helmets!!! Without helmets, only the naturally strongest riders will survive! And encourage lots of shoving in the peloton!
    lol3.gif
    Erik

edited February 6, 2007
    It's funny because alot of times angry BMX moms will send in letters to the BMX magazine, one in particular, RideBMX, and would always complain about how the riders aren't wearing helmets. It's the riders choice and I think the parents should educate their kids more then anything on wearing proper safety equipment.

I mean accidents happen, you don't see people driving around in cars with helmets on. The last time I got hit in my head while riding my bike was like 3 or 4 years ago, so it doesn't happen very often, some people get into car accidents every year so they should definitely be wearing helmets, can you imagine that, people wearing helmets while driving, hahahaharolleyes1.gif .

edited February 6, 2007
    can you imagine that, people wearing helmets while driving, hahahaharolleyes1.gif .
    I know! Wouldn't that be crazy?...

mschu.jpg

jgordon.helmet.193.jpg

montoya_helmet_close_global_180x144.jpg

the point: riding bmx the way you do is more akin to driving a racing car than it is to driving your 17 airbag equipped SUV to the corner store. you're pushing the limits of what can be done on a bicycle.

we can't convince you. like I said before, crack your own skull on your own time. But if you really appreciate and respect your sport, when presenting it in a professional manner, it's a different story.

Why do you think there is only one park in your area where you can ride your bikes? It's called good publicity, my young friend. You may see that as "giving in to the man" now, but it's not. Honoring your sport can come in ways other than pulling the biggest trick. You'll learn though, in good time. nod.gif
    Erik

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    I mean accidents happen, you don't see people driving around in cars with helmets on.

No, but there are mandatory seatbelt laws and all new cars have airbags. When my wife was an infant her mom put blankets in a box and sat it untethered on the seat next to her as she drove. Just because it used to be done, doesn't make it right.

And I could be mistaken, but I thought the X-Games itself requires helmets? I don't think anyone is complaining that helmets are uncool there.
  • galaxycowpokegalaxycowpoke Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    Nice flash work!
    edited February 6, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I know! Wouldn't that be crazy?...

mschu.jpg

jgordon.helmet.193.jpg

montoya_helmet_close_global_180x144.jpg

the point: riding bmx the way you do is more akin to driving a racing car than it is to driving your 17 airbag equipped SUV to the corner store. you're pushing the limits of what can be done on a bicycle.

we can't convince you. like I said before, crack your own skull on your own time. But if you really appreciate and respect your sport, when presenting it in a professional manner, it's a different story.

Why do you think there is only one park in your area where you can ride your bikes? It's called good publicity, my young friend. You may see that as "giving in to the man" now, but it's not. Honoring your sport can come in ways other than pulling the biggest trick. You'll learn though, in good time. nod.gif

When I said driving around in cars I didn't mean professional cars, jeeze rolleyes1.gif . If I ever do fall on my head, I will make sure to acknowledge you first haha and tell you how right you were. I might be looking into a helmet soon though, just for the park though.

edited February 7, 2007
    When I said driving around in cars I didn't mean professional cars, jeeze.
    that's too bad, cuz I consider what you and your friends pull-off to be about as "pro" thumb.gif
    If I ever do fall on my head, I will make sure to acknowledge you first haha and tell you how right you were.
    Great, just don't use my real name, eh? I don't want to be hunted down like a dog by your parents! lol3.gif
    Erik

edited February 7, 2007
    Fellas,

Could we direct this back towards the photography part please?
    edited February 7, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Could we direct this back towards the photography part please?
    I was actually trying - how sports/equipment/athletes are portrayed in photos I think is a valid point of discussion here.
    Erik

edited February 7, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I was actually trying - how sports/equipment/athletes are portrayed in photos I think is a valid point of discussion here.

And you've all made your points. No need to beat a dead horse. You disagree.
    Let's leave it at that.
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    I wanted to jump on the safty band wagon when these were first posted. As a event photog. i remember the stuf i use to do 20+ years ago and back then there was no point and shoot camers other than polariod. now with utube and the likes everyone is a reporter for the evening news. When i attent a event and take photos I only look at the angle that might sell photos to the particapants of the event and not try to be a reporter of what would have been but what was. If you are one to comment on what could have been, you are just a Monday morning quarterback. my JOB as a photog. of an event that requires risk is to make the partisapants look good and sell photos and let thier down falls end up on the digital cutting room floor. If i only focused on thier down falls ( crashes) what would sell? headscratch.gif

now for Marko, i love were your photography is taking you and think you are progressing as i have, so don't stop shooting. Rodwings.gif
    xtnomad :wink