50mm-f/1.4
    10-17mm fish-eye
    18-55mm kit lens
    Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 4, 2007
    Nice shots! Looks a bit chilly though.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
  • magicpicmagicpic Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    thx

Randy I love your soccer shots...You use AIServo, do you focus on the ball or do you follow one player?..did you get my note today...my photos were really good..but my neighbor was not really moving that much...I will be shooting a high school soccer within the next couple of weeks and would like for them to be sharp...thanks...janis
    (2) Canon 20d, (1) canon 30d, 70-200is 2.8, tamron 17-50,canon 50mm 1.4
    http://www.photographybywidget.com
    edited February 6, 2007
    magicpic wrote:
    Randy I love your soccer shots...You use AIServo, do you focus on the ball or do you follow one player?..did you get my note today...my photos were really good..but my neighbor was not really moving that much...I will be shooting a high school soccer within the next couple of weeks and would like for them to be sharp...thanks...janis

thx Janis !

i shoot for the eyes and yes I use AIservo or AF-C in Nikon terminology..I usually use 1 sensor, the center one or the one above it if i am zooming a long way or the one on the right if i shoot in portrait mode....

it's very easy to get caught up in the action and shoot torsos, it happens to me alot so make a mental note to aim for someones eyes, usually the player w/ the ball...also try not to shoot backs, wait for them to turn and face you.....for headers start a burst of shots before u think u need to so u can capture a 'crush ball'...this took me a long time to get used to also.....be patient w/ yourself, all of this takes time and practice...try to understand why a shot didn't work out so u know for next time and try new options

I tend to recompose often to make sure the AF system gets it right...by recompose i mean repeatedly push the shutter button down 1/2 way to cause a refocs point...remember the cam is trying to stay in focus w/ the shutter buton 1/2 down and it can af on the wrong thing (like something in the background)
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007

Those are great Randy clap.gifclap.gif love the expressions on the boys faces.
    You've capture some great action shots in this lot thumb.gif ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited February 6, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Those are great Randy clap.gifclap.gif love the expressions on the boys faces.
    You've capture some great action shots in this lot thumb.gif ... Skippy

thx Skippy !