Lightroom - Anybody understand batch processing??

billhughlettbillhughlett Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited February 8, 2007 in Finishing School
Hi friends -

New to Lightroom....just punted Aperture because it doesn't read LAB...and can anyone tell me how in the world in the Library or Develop module one selects multiple images to make white balance or exposure adjustments to all at the same time. My previous expereince is with ACR which is about as intuitive and easy as it comes. In LR, I select multiple images in either module but can only make the adjustments one image at a time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Best -

Bill

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    Bill,
    My frank opinion: forget about LR, it's a cool toy.deal.gif
    Stick with the CS line, and you shall inherit both Earth and Heaven:-) mwink.gif

MHO/HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    ...and can anyone tell me how in the world in the Library or Develop module one selects multiple images to make white balance or exposure adjustments to all at the same time.
    Select one of the images, make the required changes to it, hit 'G' to bring up the gallery, select the other images to be changed and select 'sync' in the bottom RH corner.

Your adjustments (or as many of them as you wish, user-selectable) will then be applied to all the other images.

I think you can also set up a preset somehow, and apply that, but it's not a function I've had a need for. thumb.gif
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    My frank opinion: forget about LR, it's a cool toy.
    I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly, having used it since last March. It depends a lot on your workflow, and the extent of further post-production you typically need to do.

Between the present 4.1 beta expiring on 28 February and the 30 day trial period for v1.0 available from 19 February, it's possible for anyone to evaluate it at no cost until 19 March or beyond and make up their own mind. The design paradigm is focused just on the needs of photographers, not on designers and graphics manipulation more generally, as is the basis for CS.

It's just a matter of horses for courses. My guess is LR will be hugely popular, and may even influence the CS UI over time.
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    I don't know, I think I may pick it up as all this is just a hobby for me. I really liked how the sidebars would auto hide so you could use almost the entire screen to view. Sure the pros will keep with CS2/CS3, but I think they did a good thing with Lightroom by bringing more of the masses into the fold.

Both programs have their places, now maybe with the new influx of money they'll cut the prices of CS2/CS3 so the budding hobbist can get more serious with editing.

After all, I don't believe very many are as fortunate as I was when my friend gave me her Windows copy of CS2 when she went Mac.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    Webster,
    I have been playing with LR since its windows beta became availalbe.
    After spending rather large amount of time playing, using and reading about it I decided that Bridge + ACR + PS (especially in CS3 version) is what I need.

I agree that its UI and some other approaches are rather nice and probably will be influential design-wise.

I'm sure there are tons of people who would love it. I'm just not one of them. ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 8, 2007
    Between the present 4.1 beta expiring on 28 February and the 30 day trial period for v1.0 available from 19 February, it's possible for anyone to evaluate it at no cost until 19 March or beyond and make up their own mind. The design paradigm is focused just on the needs of photographers, not on designers and graphics manipulation more generally, as is the basis for CS.

I'm glad you pointed this out. I had Andy (I think), among others, recommend it to me as a replacement for Picasa, and looking at the quickie preview in this months PPi, it does indeed look a lot like Picasa Pro.

Has anyone on dGrin done a full review of it that I've missed, in as much as how it interacts with Smug?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    imageinc wrote:

Has anyone on dGrin done a full review of it that I've missed, in as much as how it interacts with Smug?
    I don't recommend it as a replacement for anything, though it is more featured than Picasa, that's for sure.

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/Reviews%20You%20Can%20Use
    There is no plugin to LR yet AFAIK.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=50974
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47106
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    I have been using Lightroom daily since Beta 3 (when it became available for the PC) and I have already pre-ordered the release version. Just for reference, the other photo processing tools I use are Photoshop CS2 and DxO Optics 4.1

Here is what I like about Lightroom:

1. It is fast at what it does. No other tool I have used is faster for RAW processing and basic sweetening (cropping, curves) when you need to process large shoots.

2. It gets rid of most of the hard drive clutter. When using Lightroom, I only have to keep the RAW files. I batch generate JPEGs from Lightroom, upload them to a SmugMug gallery and then delete them. There is no reason to keep JPEG around because they are so quick and easy to regenerate when I need them.

In many weeks, I'll process 100s of photos in Lightroom. Rarely will I process more than about 10 a week in DxO Optics or CS2.