Options

Is there a self fulfillment option?

RandoRando Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
edited February 16, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
There's a few things I'd like to sell that smugmug/ezprints just doesn't offer (like folded cards, 5x5 trifold cards, gallery wraps). Is there a way to add products for self fulfillment?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    Rando wrote:
    There's a few things I'd like to sell that smugmug/ezprints just doesn't offer (like folded cards, 5x5 trifold cards, gallery wraps). Is there a way to add products for self fulfillment?
    Hi Rando, thanks for posting. No, I'm sorry, we don't have a self-fulfillment option. I wish I had a better answer for you.
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Rando, thanks for posting. No, I'm sorry, we don't have a self-fulfillment option. I wish I had a better answer for you.
    I had an idea along these lines. I have some 10x36 panoramas I'm selling "off-smug" using a caption to request that people email me if they're interested. Since I only sell in my neighborhood, I was thinking to make a 4x6 image and set the price at $40 (or whatever), then if someone ordered that, I'd see the order, and I'd get the panorama printed myself, and give it to them.
    I just decided to stick to the "email me" method...
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2007
    Nimai wrote:
    I had an idea along these lines. I have some 10x36 panoramas I'm selling "off-smug" using a caption to request that people email me if they're interested. Since I only sell in my neighborhood, I was thinking to make a 4x6 image and set the price at $40 (or whatever), then if someone ordered that, I'd see the order, and I'd get the panorama printed myself, and give it to them.
    I just decided to stick to the "email me" method...
    Don't forget, it's easy to add google checkout or paypal:

http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gallery/830860

http://muenchphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/2370073
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    "Don't forget"? Haha- If I'd have only known! Once again, I've failed to keep up with the deluge of cool smgmug features. :D
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Andy --does smugmug/EZP offer ANY size of panorama? I thought at one time I saw a 10x20 but when I looked again recently, there isn't anything with a similar ratio. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If not, some sort of panorama option should be available from a 'full service' printer.ne_nau.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    Full service doen't mean...........
    urbanaries wrote:
    If not, some sort of panorama option should be available from a 'full service' printer.ne_nau.gif

Remember FULL SERVICE doesn't mean UNLIMITED COMPLETE line of products .:Dwings.gif

Sorry just couldn't reisist...but I have known of quite a number of "FULL SERVICE" labs that don't offer sweatshirts, tee shirts, coffee mugs,.... etc as well as panorama's or the complete line of digital sized prints, they are sticking to the sizes that ahve been the standard for the last 50 yrs or longer....... for a lot of them it is not a matter of just changing that lens cassette or the paper cassette in that Noritsu Printer but it means a small investment of near $100K+ and for panos or speciality sizes of prints they must figure out how many they will do in any given month to make it profitable....of course they could keep the cost of the printer down a bit by purchasing an inkjetthat will easily produce them and cut the extra white edges off to make it the exact size...but again will it be profitable enough....Probably why we don't all own a 24" or 48" roll paper printer ourselves.mwink.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Remember FULL SERVICE doesn't mean UNLIMITED COMPLETE line of products .:Dwings.gif

Sorry just couldn't reisist...but I have known of quite a number of "FULL SERVICE" labs that don't offer sweatshirts, tee shirts, coffee mugs,.... etc as well as panorama's or the complete line of digital sized prints, they are sticking to the sizes that ahve been the standard for the last 50 yrs or longer....... for a lot of them it is not a matter of just changing that lens cassette or the paper cassette in that Noritsu Printer but it means a small investment of near $100K+ and for panos or speciality sizes of prints they must figure out how many they will do in any given month to make it profitable....of course they could keep the cost of the printer down a bit by purchasing an inkjetthat will easily produce them and cut the extra white edges off to make it the exact size...but again will it be profitable enough....Probably why we don't all own a 24" or 48" roll paper printer ourselves.mwink.gif

Fair enough, certainly I can appreciate the balance between choice and profitablilty. It does seem odd that EZ offers eight variances on very similar sizes, and given the close alternatives, a crop would suffice. (8 x 10.6? headscratch.gif )

8x10
    8x10.6
    8.5x11
    8x12
    9x12
    10x10
    10x15
    11x14

Yet not one remotely close option in a pano ratio, which I would imagine a lot of folks would use for landscapes, as well as montages. Just surprised me, that's all. I know someone prints them, just have to find another vendor, just like I have to find another vendor for photo books, canvas prints, custom cards...etc etc.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    RandoRando Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    I've been very happy with www.whcc.com for the products smugmug doesn't have (like pano's, 5x5 tri-fold card, gallery wraps). I really wish smugmug would switch to whcc, at least for the pro accounts. To be able to add custom products to self fullfill would be great.

My friend really likes www.mpix.com
  • Options
    missamo80missamo80 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Andy,

Do you have any walkthrough on how to add google/paypal to the pages? Or is it as simple as pasting some HTML into the description of an image?

Neil
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2007
    I haven't tried this myself, but I had found this thread in a search:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52460&highlight=google+checkout
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2007
    Nimai wrote:
    I haven't tried this myself, but I had found this thread in a search:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52460&highlight=google+checkout
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    missamo80missamo80 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Yep, that did the trick. Very cool!

Neil
  • Options
    Photodawg1Photodawg1 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    I join the ranks of the self fulfillers. I also think it should be transparent to the customer. I know it's a business and you guys need to make your money too, but it would be an added service to your loyal paying customers. I will be adding paypay...soon and also looking at other places to see if this is an option. Would be nice to be able to sell my DVD/CD's and other odd things I sell, and Services in one place. Even if I didn't sell one thing through Smuggy it is still infinitely valuable as a exquisite gallery and ease of uploading and manipulating with minimal brainpower.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    Photodawg1 wrote:
    I join the ranks of the self fulfillers.

Great! And adding your own paypal or google checkout, is a cinch - at most a 5-minute proposition.

Holler if you need any help at all :D
  • Options
    Photodawg1Photodawg1 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Great! And adding your own paypal or google checkout, is a cinch - at most a 5-minute proposition.

Holler if you need any help at all :D

Thanks Andy! I will be doing that soon.