Issue with email invitations

Comments

• mkress65mkress65 Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Sent an email share to your hotmail - and the same email was sent to 3 other hotmail accounts, all received it just fine.... Please verify.

I received 0 (zero) pictures, only your note indicating that you sent one.

I am using Windows Live Mail (beta).
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    mkress65 wrote:
    I received 0 (zero) pictures, only your note indicating that you sent one.

I am using Windows Live Mail (beta).
    Hm. Try the regular product maybe, not the beta?
  • WirelessWireless Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    The windows live beta interface and the classic interface still use the same spam filters and inbound mail servers. Switching between the two won't make a difference.

When you say you've received 0 pictures, does this mean you haven't received an email at all, or you've received an email with no pictures attached?
    edited February 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hm. Try the regular product maybe, not the beta?

It will only allow me to do that if I give up my storage space (which is in use and it will delete my files) and I am not going to download all my files just to test this.

For now, I will assume that the share function does not work w/ AOL, Comcast, or Hotmail for the people to whom I send pictures, so I will do it the old fashioned way w/ a cut and paste.

Its an interesting feature. Hopefully eventually it will work with all the mail readers/ services.

Sincerely,
    edited February 8, 2007
    mkress65 wrote:
    It will only allow me to do that if I give up my storage space (which is in use and it will delete my files) and I am not going to download all my files just to test this.

For now, I will assume that the share function does not work w/ (snip...) Hotmail

This is incorrect. It works fine with Hotmail. We have zero other reports of not showing up at hotmail. We have lots and lots of test data to show that it does work. Mail servers and processing are the same for classic Hotmail and Windows live according to our engineers. Try changing your email address in your control panel to something else, and send again to hotmail. Beyond that, perhaps there's some setting on your hotmail that is blocking it ne_nau.gif
    edited February 8, 2007
    Wireless wrote:
    The windows live beta interface and the classic interface still use the same spam filters and inbound mail servers. Switching between the two won't make a difference.

When you say you've received 0 pictures, does this mean you haven't received an email at all, or you've received an email with no pictures attached?

I have not received the email at all. I have received other emails, including one from the SmugMug help desk, but the share emails do not appear in my hotmail inbox or spam filter.
    edited February 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    This is incorrect. It works fine with Hotmail. We have zero other reports of not showing up at hotmail. We have lots and lots of test data to show that it does work. Mail servers and processing are the same for classic Hotmail and Windows live according to our engineers. Try changing your email address in your control panel to something else, and send again to hotmail. Beyond that, perhaps there's some setting on your hotmail that is blocking it ne_nau.gif

Did your tests include tests with anyone on Hotmail beta?
    edited February 8, 2007
    mkress65 wrote:
    Did your tests include tests with anyone on Hotmail beta?
    AFAIK, no. We wouldn't test with Beta stuff, normally.
    edited February 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    AFAIK, no. We wouldn't test with Beta stuff, normally.

If they tested w/ GMail, then they tested w/ Beta. Same is true for Yahoo. Although the classic Yahoo email interface is still around I'm sure, I've been using beta for over a year. Most of my friends are on one of those ultra extended betas. Its not like these have just recently become betas -- they've been in this state for an extended time. I have seen no indication that GMail is come out of beta any time soon.
    edited February 8, 2007
    mkress65 wrote:
    If they tested w/ GMail, then they tested w/ Beta. Same is true for Yahoo. Although the classic Yahoo email interface is still around I'm sure, I've been using beta for over a year. Most of my friends are on one of those ultra extended betas. Its not like these have just recently become betas -- they've been in this state for an extended time. I have seen no indication that GMail is come out of beta any time soon.
    I really have no more to say on this, I'm sorry. Standby, I will go to my Windows and update to Windows Live Beta myself.
  • PhotoPsychPhotoPsych Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I really have no more to say on this, I'm sorry. Standby, I will go to my Windows and update to Windows Live Beta myself.

Andy,
    You have been supremely patient and we all know you are doing your best regarding this issue. I just attempted to send a "share" from Firefox to my AOL account, and same jibberish appeared. Guess this appealing feature is something that will eventually achieve some form of resolution. Thanks again for your efforts.
    Karl
    Karl-tepfer.smugmug.com
    edited February 8, 2007
    SmugMug Share Email and Hotmail, Windows Live Beta
    mkress65 wrote:
    For now, I will assume that the share function does not work w/ Hotmail

This is an incorrect assumption. I do not know why your Hotmail, Windows Live Beta isn't working, but we've used the function plenty with Hotmail and I just validated, Windows Live Beta Hotmail. Here is a screenshot:

128434305-L.jpg

Perhaps it's something to do with your sending-from account, or perhaps there's a setting, I don't know. I didn't do anything, just installed or clicked for live beta, and boom, there it was....
    edited February 8, 2007
    PhotoPsych wrote:
    Andy,
    You have been supremely patient and we all know you are doing your best regarding this issue. I just attempted to send a "share" from Firefox to my AOL account, and same jibberish appeared. Guess this appealing feature is something that will eventually achieve some form of resolution. Thanks again for your efforts.
    Karl
    Karl-tepfer.smugmug.com
    wave.gif Hiya Karl, thanks for posting. Well, unfortunately, we're having troubles with AOL. If it can be done, we'll get it done. But AOL is so darn proprietary and they do things different than the rest of the world.

We spent a lot of time on it tonight - we'll hammer away more on the AOL stuff tomorrow, too. I'll report back here when we have something to say, one way or another. Thanks for your patience, we really appreciate it.
    edited February 8, 2007
    Thank you for validating. Was the test image you sent me from my account or yours? If not from mine, then its probably not a problem with the send from account, correct?
    edited February 8, 2007
    mkress65 wrote:
    Thank you for validating. Was the test image you sent me from my account or yours? If not from mine, then its probably not a problem with the send from account, correct?
    That's my image from my account.
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    imageinc wrote:
    I'm speechless.

Disclaimer: Warning: Wow. WOW. Please read this calmly and understand it is coming from a blunt, rude, but well intentioned person. Oh and I know I may have spelling mistakes, I'm not a god (just a man who thinks he is one), and I'm tired.

You’re speechless? I find that hard to believe.... After reading your posts in this thread, I did some further investigation and read all of your posts. That leads me to think you are never really speechless, as you seem to have stuff to say all the time that isn't needed. You sir are a help vampire of the worst kind. You are arrogant, demanding, and you argue with people when they answer your questions. If you keep acting that way no one will help you, no one wants to waste their time answering questions for someone who refuses to believe the answer. Don't know what a help vampire is? Well dude its you, and your kind is explained here. The staff and members here love helping people or they wouldn't be doing it. But just reading your comments to them drains me, and im sure it drains them of any desire to help you or anyone else after awhile for that matter. You have a lot of great ideas, a lot of great information, and a lot of helpful thoughts that I have noticed but if you don't check the attitude and stop demanding attention like your a 3 year old no one is going to want to help you. Take my advice chill out, and slow down. You will find that it will get you much faster responses, and problems will get solved easier.... Just chill out. Don't expect things to happen in seconds, researching and writing good responses takes time.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
    edited February 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    That's my image from my account.

OK. Then I won't focus on my send-from account and see if there are settings and won't trouble you with this one anymore.
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    AOL - we're working on that. But greenpea, you said your Mom could see your email fine in AOL's email client- do you know which version she has? ear.gif

I'll have to get back to you on the AOL verison Andy. She IS using the client (not the web based).

Also, I should mention I use Hotmail Live Beta...no problems.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
    edited February 9, 2007
    mkress65 wrote:
    OK. Then I won't focus on my send-from account and see if there are settings and won't trouble you with this one anymore.
    Among many things I do here, helping Customers get their problems fixed is one them... That is certainly not "trouble."

Let us know if we can help.
    edited February 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    We spent a lot of time on it tonight - we'll hammer away more on the AOL stuff tomorrow, too. I'll report back here when we have something to say, one way or another. Thanks for your patience, we really appreciate it.
    We've fixed it internally, and I hope that the fix can get to the live site really soon. Thanks everyone for your patience on this one. AOL is, as you can imagine, not the easiest email client to work with, but Superhero GreenJimmy got it done!
  • NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Andy--what about the Comcast issue, is that fixed as well? Most of my family uses Comcast, so I have a real interest in this being fixed.

Thanks!

p.s. I did send a note to Comcast as well.
    edited February 9, 2007
    NikonGirl wrote:

p.s. I did send a note to Comcast as well.

Good thumb.gif

Comcast customers could also go on their forums and ask "what up?"
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 9, 2007
    You sir are a help vampire of the worst kind.

Not according to your itemized list, there, dragon.

I haven't done *any* of those things.

You are arrogant, demanding, and you argue with people when they answer your questions.
    I argue with people when they handwave me, don't answer my questions, and blow me off.

And I note that we don't know what was "fixed" here, yet.
    If you keep acting that way no one will help you, no one wants to waste their time answering questions for someone who refuses to believe the answer.
    In the thread we're currently in, I was trying to help the other people. That doesn't sound really indicative of someone being a help vampire.

That Andy isn't equipped to deal with the idea that Tier 3 support may well come from outside the building, really isn't my problem.
    You have a lot of great ideas, a lot of great information, and a lot of helpful thoughts that I have noticed
    Well, thanks. The comments from devbobo and Nikolai on this thread here suggest you're not alone in thinking that.
    but if you don't check the attitude and stop demanding attention like your a 3 year old no one is going to want to help you.
    Go look at those messages again.

In chronological order.

I believe you'll find I acquired my attitude while here; I didn't bring it in the door.
    Take my advice chill out, and slow down. You will find that it will get you much faster responses, and problems will get solved easier.... Just chill out. Don't expect things to happen in seconds, researching and writing good responses takes time.

Oddly, my writeup on how to deal with technical support makes exactly that point.

Expecting things to happen in seconds is not a problem I have.

Expecting Tier 1 tech support to know when to escalate, on the other hand, is. It's no surprise; almost no one's Tier 1 can do it properly. But that doesn't make the handwaves any more pleasant.

I've gotten enough of them in this my first month being a (let's say it again) paying customer that I stopped being polite about pointing them out; that's all.

"I don't know, but I'll find out" and "We know it could be done that way, but we've got a different plan" are two sentences I don't here as often as I'd like to. Oh, and "I'm sorry; that feature will remain reserved for higher-level accounts".

Just like that, clean and clear-cut.

I've taken those lumps; I've done direct end-user technical support for at least 10 years now, Tier 1, 2, and 3. I know it's not easy. I know that doing it in what is the often more-relaxed environment of a forum makes it, paxadoxically, harder, because people are less inclined to hear you say "no". But I don't get paid to deal with any of those things.

And I don't pay SmugMug to win arguments with me -- a sentiment I've heard one way or another several places now.

It's not easy being at the pointy end of the stick.

But that's why they get the bug bucks.

I'm certainly done with trying to be helpful to other people, here, though, if I have to swim upstream to do it; I'm not a salmon.

And as for "playing games". No, Andy. I was trying to be polite, and not slap you around in public. All anyone else needed to read was "I'm speechless." That's the second time someone's in charge here has taken a private posting public without permission, though. Gee. What's happening with our 'private' galleries?

Another reason I'm done with dgrin.

HTH. HAND.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    imageinc wrote:
    ...I'm done with dgrin.
    Don't tease. clap.gifclapclap.gifclap
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited February 9, 2007
    imageinc wrote:

Not according to your itemized list, there, dragon.

I haven't done *any* of those things.

I argue with people when they handwave me, don't answer my questions, and blow me off.

And I note that we don't know what was "fixed" here, yet.

In the thread we're currently in, I was trying to help the other people. That doesn't sound really indicative of someone being a help vampire.

That Andy isn't equipped to deal with the idea that Tier 3 support may well come from outside the building, really isn't my problem.

Well, thanks. The comments from devbobo and Nikolai on this thread here suggest you're not alone in thinking that.

Go look at those messages again.

In chronological order.

I believe you'll find I acquired my attitude while here; I didn't bring it in the door.

Oddly, my writeup on how to deal with technical support makes exactly that point.

Expecting things to happen in seconds is not a problem I have.

Expecting Tier 1 tech support to know when to escalate, on the other hand, is. It's no surprise; almost no one's Tier 1 can do it properly. But that doesn't make the handwaves any more pleasant.

I've gotten enough of them in this my first month being a (let's say it again) paying customer that I stopped being polite about pointing them out; that's all.

"I don't know, but I'll find out" and "We know it could be done that way, but we've got a different plan" are two sentences I don't here as often as I'd like to. Oh, and "I'm sorry; that feature will remain reserved for higher-level accounts".

Just like that, clean and clear-cut.

I've taken those lumps; I've done direct end-user technical support for at least 10 years now, Tier 1, 2, and 3. I know it's not easy. I know that doing it in what is the often more-relaxed environment of a forum makes it, paxadoxically, harder, because people are less inclined to hear you say "no". But I don't get paid to deal with any of those things.

And I don't pay SmugMug to win arguments with me -- a sentiment I've heard one way or another several places now.

It's not easy being at the pointy end of the stick.

But that's why they get the bug bucks.

I'm certainly done with trying to be helpful to other people, here, though, if I have to swim upstream to do it; I'm not a salmon.

And as for "playing games". No, Andy. I was trying to be polite, and not slap you around in public. All anyone else needed to read was "I'm speechless." That's the second time someone's in charge here has taken a private posting public without permission, though. Gee. What's happening with our 'private' galleries?

Another reason I'm done with dgrin.

HTH. HAND.

I meant what I said yesterday.
    Andy wrote:
    We won't be bullied by anyone - and that includes a paying customer. Continue, and I'll ask you to take your Dgrin and SmugMug account elsewhere.
    edited February 9, 2007
    ATTN COMCAST users...

I need to know something, thanks:

I this Comcast Webmail? Or mail via Comcast in a mail client (like Outlook, or Outlook express, etc...)?

Please verify, thanks.
    edited February 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    ATTN COMCAST users...

I need to know something, thanks:

I this Comcast Webmail? Or mail via Comcast in a mail client (like Outlook, or Outlook express, etc...)?

Please verify, thanks.

Comcast webmail. If I access it via Outlook 2003 it works fine.
  • NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    I concur with Matt. The problem only seems to be with Comcast webmail. Using Comcast in Outlook works fine.
    edited February 9, 2007
    mkress65 wrote:
    Comcast webmail. If I access it via Outlook 2003 it works fine.
    Can you email me Matt, andy@ my direct email, give me your comcast email addy - i want to try a test

thanks!
    edited February 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Can you email me Matt, andy@ my direct email, give me your comcast email addy - i want to try a test

thanks!

Done.