Slacking on the Beach Alaskan Style

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited February 5, 2007 in Sports
Okay, so our beaches are a little different from the white sandy kind. We headed out and rigged up a line after a bit of climbing on Saturday, taking full advantage of some warm weather lately. Here's a few shots from the day.

Kelsey walks the line, camera in hand. On the left you can see Mt. Foraker, Mt. Hunter, and Mt. McKinley (Denali) some 250 miles away.
beach02.jpg

Kelsey drops a knee.
beach03.jpg

Richard taking steps, with Mt. Susitna behind him.
beach04.jpg

A minor explosion launching Kelsey. He landed this backflip just fine. :thumb This beach is just off the end of the runway at Anchorage International Airport, so we were treated to watching the planes take off just overhead, and you can see a couple in the distance here.
beach05.jpg

Kelsey tries to climb our anchor as the sun sets.
beach07.jpg
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• Sean PuffettSean Puffett Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 5, 2007
    Love the first shot for the scale of the image!

I find it amazing that your camera can resolve the mountains if they're that far away. The view with your eyes must be amazing!

Isn't it great to live in a place with air so clean you can see that far. I moved from the UK to Sweden to experience that. Never knew you could see the Milky Way with the naked eye until I came here... Still haven't been out to take a shot of it yet though!

Regards,
    Sean
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 5, 2007
    My, my. Looks like a positively smashing day at the beach thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    Isn't it great to live in a place with air so clean you can see that far. I moved from the UK to Sweden to experience that. Never knew you could see the Milky Way with the naked eye until I came here... Still haven't been out to take a shot of it yet though!

Regards,
    Sean

Yeah I definitely love how so much of Alaska is untouched. I love it here. Strangely enough though, I've found that the night sky in Alaska is remarkably more dull than in some other places I've been. I can see the major constelations like the dippers, and Orion, and such, and the brighter stars, but plenty of other areas blow Alaska away in that regard. I'm really not sure why, but it's certainly not any sort of air polution caused by MAN.

The northern light shows we get every winter are incredible though. thumb.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com