Domain name help...

superdiversuperdiver Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited February 6, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I was thinking of getting a godaddy.com name and make it my smugmug name. I have a pro account, but and webpage designer"challanged". Or is there a simpler/better .com domain place to use?

If I got a godaddy name how would I go about making it my smugmug name. Alot of people ask me aout my site and the name I chose for smugmug was, well, lets say short sighted in that its not simple enough for the average person to remember.

What happens with all the people who already are used to the name I have? How does that work?

Comments

• BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 5, 2007
    superdiver wrote:
    I was thinking of getting a godaddy.com name and make it my smugmug name. I have a pro account, but and webpage designer"challanged". Or is there a simpler/better .com domain place to use?

If I got a godaddy name how would I go about making it my smugmug name. Alot of people ask me aout my site and the name I chose for smugmug was, well, lets say short sighted in that its not simple enough for the average person to remember.

What happens with all the people who already are used to the name I have? How does that work?

Hi :)

GoDaddy is a fine place to purchase a domain. We have specific instructions for setting up your CNAME to SmugMug with GoDaddy. Easy to do :)

You don't need to worry about your SmugMug site name. People will still be able to either use that or your new domain name. Both will take you to your site. You can also change your SmugMug nickname any time, as long as the name is available.

Here's our help page on custom hostnames:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts

Holler if you have any further questions.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • superdiversuperdiver Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    So the annual fee is actually what they tell you, no hidden fees no suprises?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    superdiver wrote:
    We don't represent godaddy- but that's my experience with them thumb.gif
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    superdiver wrote:

Usually yes. But make sure that you are only registering a domain name, and not purchasing web hosting as well. You don't need any added features - just purchase (register) the domain name. It doesn't matter whether or not you do it at GoDaddy or somewhere else - go where ever you find the best deal, but as Barb pointed out, they do have a helpful tutorial on how to set up your site using GoDaddy.
    edited February 6, 2007
    Thanks all, I think I will go to godaddy or Joker tonight and register ONLY...dont think I want any other features...
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 6, 2007
    I'm fond of DomainDiscover, myself; read the terms of service for GoDaddy very carefully if you decide to go there, especially if you're a pro.

Having your website disappear because they don't like your choice of photographic subjects is probably not in your business plan.
    edited February 6, 2007
    imageinc wrote:
    I'm fond of DomainDiscover, myself; read the terms of service for GoDaddy very carefully if you decide to go there, especially if you're a pro.

Having your website disappear because they don't like your choice of photographic subjects is probably not in your business plan.

I only shoot non offensive stuff, no nudity what so ever, nothing even close, except for swim team meets....Laughing.gif

Mostly I shoot sports and some local landscapes...
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 6, 2007
    superdiver wrote:
    I only shoot non offensive stuff, no nudity what so ever, nothing even close, except for swim team meets....Laughing.gif

Sure.

But the point of that little anecdote is: GoDaddy clearly has poor judgement as to what constitutes grounds to deactivate a domain.

So it may not much *matter* whether *you* think it's a problem or not.