how fast will your intel mac boot

jayjay Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited February 11, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
ive seen some take quite awhile but i recently aquired a mini and in approximately 6 seconds im up and running
jm photography

Comments

• rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    yeah, mine takes no time at all. it's quite amazing. in about 16 seconds, I can be up and running and listening to a song in iTunes and checking my email...how do they do it! what are windows users thinking?!?!?!?

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    jay wrote:
    ive seen some take quite awhile but i recently aquired a mini and in approximately 6 seconds im up and running
    Boot?

My Mac Pro is rarely off.

But when I do boot it, it's pretty darn fast thumb.gif
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Boot?

My Mac Pro is rarely off.

But when I do boot it, it's pretty darn fast thumb.gif

this is very true, mine is almost always on sleep. but I have shut it down....um....twice? I think...to hear the little chime...:) it was SPEEDY!

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    The Macbook takes about 20-25 seconds.

One caveat: I haven't added many programs to it. My XP box used to boot almost instantly, until I started adding programs, many of which were added to the start list, which slowed the start process dramatically.

I don't yet know if the same will happen to the Mac.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    It depends on what you mean by "start."

There is the first stage of startup where the kernel extensions get loaded up to the login screen. Then there is the second stage of startup, where the user-specific login items that load between the login screen and the desktop, which you control in the Login Items in your Accounts preferences pane. If you have more of either, you will lengthen your system-to-login time or login-to-desktop time. If you use auto login, it goes straight from the first to the second stage.

But Apple also cuts down the startup time through caching. You will probably notice a longer startup time after installing a fresh system or system update. This is I think because the startup caches have not been built or they need to be rebuilt. My PowerBook can take up to 2-5 minutes to reach the desktop after a system update, but in normal daily use when the caches are in place, it's about 35 seconds to the desktop (My Mac Pro does 16 seconds). Well, for the 3 or 4 times I actually bother to restart over the course of a month, anyway!

If you want to skip loading extra stuff at either stage, hold down the Shift key at the appropriate time, and startup is way faster. I think that's the Mac's "Safe Mode."