Challenge 30: Remembering Dad

hqsbudhqsbud Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited January 20, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
My first submission for a challenge, but you don't have to be gentle.

14403976-O.jpg

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    Outstanding !! thumb.gif You gave a photograph set life.
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    hqsbud wrote:
    My first submission for a challenge, but you don't have to be gentle.
    Gentle?! Simply beautiful! thumb.gif

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    I really like it - worthy of a frame.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    That is wonderful: both for the challenge and for you to frame and "remember".

It was wonderfully done. A good man is the message I get, and well loved. It really is challenge "worthy"!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    wave.gif Hi hg, welcome to dgrin!

Great idea. The sepia's a good look. A couple of thoughts: the composition of the items in each frame is almost identical; and the pics are interchangeable.

To keep it fresh, you might want to try different compositions of the objects in each of the three shots. As to the second point, it's a matter of taste, but there's no guiding concept to the triptych - right now there are three almost random shots, their order doesn't matter. Might it be stronger if you used the composition of each shot to help tell a story? Perhaps there could be a progression from the first to the last image, or perhaps the center image could dominate, with support from the two side images?

Just something to think about. Nice work and a fine tribute. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    wxwax wrote:

Great idea. The sepia's a good look. A couple of thoughts: the composition of the items in each frame is almost identical; and the pics are interchangeable.

To keep it fresh, you might want to try different compositions of the objects in each of the three shots. As to the second point, it's a matter of taste, but there's no guiding concept to the triptych - right now there are three almost random shots, their order doesn't matter. Might it be stronger if you used the composition of each shot to help tell a story? Perhaps there could be a progression from the first to the last image, or perhaps the center image could dominate, with support from the two side images?

fine critique, sid. i agree completely.

i'll add: try different perspectives, too ... in other words, not just "from above"

clap.gif
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    I thought it progressed by your father's age and interests as he got older.
    If that is so, I guess you might want to make it more obvious.

Plus the other changes..............Andy and Sid know more than I do on presentation.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 18, 2005
    wxwax wrote:

A slight change to the composition might make it better but I found
    that while each was similar, each takes us to a different period in time.

I'd like to hear what the radio, watch, drink and glasses symbolize. I have
    an idea they are clues to the times in the pictures.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • hqsbudhqsbud Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    Thank You!
    This is really great feedback! It is supposed to be a time progression from left to right, but there are large gaps in the photo record, so the effect isn't as strong as I'd hoped. I like the idea of a center photo with supporting ones on the side which might help that problem, and I'm starting to form ideas of different perspectives in my head, maybe with a very shallow DoF.

The wine glass is supposed to be a "here's to you" prop, so it should be a shot glass, but I don't own one. The glasses are a left-over idea from my attempt at Challenge 29 which didn't work out: after looking at the photos, I would take off my glasses to reflect. It could also represent the reading glasses he usually wore since I was a kid. The watch is mine but it looks like my dad's watch he nearly always wore. The bible is because he was devoted to helping his church, and because his church handled his funeral wonderfully. The radio really was his. He almost always had a transistor radio in his pocket with an earphone since I was a kid, and I bought him this radio a few months before he died.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 18, 2005
    Something else that these images also say is "The more things change, the more they stay
    the same". At least to me.

I don't know that I'd change too much.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • JennyJenny Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    This is beautiful!clap.gif I really don't know what I would critique on other then what has already been said. I just wanted to say that I love the composition.
  • BrettBrett Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2005
    Simply beautiful. Not much I can say about this that would be "negative" or constructive criticism.
    Challenge 26 Winner "In Your House" :deal
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2005
    This is a nice piece of work. After reading your explanations of some of the objects, I might try to find an old radio, for the picture. The new one seems to draw my attention. Maybe altering the radio somehow in post processing to give it an aged looked.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me