Auto-Generated Keywords and Captions

gregsphotosgregsphotos Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited July 28, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I've noticed that some photos I upload automatically have keywords added. I've done a little research and it appears that they get created from ITPC fields and possibly even the file name itself when the photo is uploaded.

Can anyone tell me which IPTC and/or EXIF fields are used to auto-generate the keywords? Also, are there IPTC or EXIF fields that can be used to auto-generate the photo's caption?

And finally, how about recommending some tools (PC platform) to use for editing the ITPC and/or EXIF fields prior to upload? (a batch mode feature would be great). Thanks!!!

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    I've noticed that some photos I upload automatically have keywords added. I've done a little research and it appears that they get created from ITPC fields and possibly even the file name itself when the photo is uploaded.
    Filenames if they have meaningful info will be used as keywords: http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags

Can anyone tell me which IPTC and/or EXIF fields are used to auto-generate the keywords? Also, are there IPTC or EXIF fields that can be used to auto-generate the photo's caption?
    IPTC keyword field - keywords
    IPTC description - caption

And finally, how about recommending some tools (PC platform) to use for editing the ITPC and/or EXIF fields prior to upload? (a batch mode feature would be great). Thanks!!!
    I use Adobe Bridge.
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    I have a detailed post on this subject here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=322569&postcount=6

Good luck.
  • gregsphotosgregsphotos Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Thanks for the info!!! That was exactly what I was looking for.

Andy, when you use Adobe Bridge, do you simply select multiple photos and then edit the file info to apply the same keywords or description to a group of photos, or is there an easier way?

pat.kane, It seems PixVue (mentioned in your other post) is no longer available. Do you know where I can still download a copy?
    edited February 8, 2007
    Greg, I sent you a PM.

That's a shame that PixVue isn't available any longer.

Here's another one. I've not used it myself though -- Microsoft Photo Info
  • DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    On a related note, if you hide the caption and keywords with CSS, do the search engines still pick them up ?

Andrew
  • DianneDianne Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    pat.kane wrote:
    Greg, I sent you a PM.

That's a shame that PixVue isn't available any longer.

Here's another one. I've not used it myself though -- Microsoft Photo Info

Pixvue is apparently still available at this free site:
    http://www.photo-freeware.net/pixvue.php
    edited March 20, 2007
    Though listed on the site, if you follow the link you'll find that it unsuccessfully tries to download the setup file from the PixVue server. Nice try though.
  • DianneDianne Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    pat.kane wrote:
    Though listed on the site, if you follow the link you'll find that it unsuccessfully tries to download the setup file from the PixVue server. Nice try though.

My apologies -- I didn't follow the link, obviously. Too bad - it was a handy app.
  • SivaAnnaSivaAnna Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Keyword and Description not getting updated in SM
    Hello,

I updated the keywords and description fields of IPTC tags using Adobe Stock Photos.

I verified that details are available in another program - iTag.

I upload the photo to SM - no keywords or description shows up - Link

I download the photo and confirmed that picture contains the expected keywords and description - see the attachment.

I renamed the file with a meaningful name and uploaded again - this time the keywords shows up picked up from the file name - Link

I searched various threads but could not get any conclusive answers

Any help would be appreciated.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    SivaAnna wrote:
    Hello,

I updated the keywords and description fields of IPTC tags using Adobe Stock Photos.

I verified that details are available in another program - iTag.

I upload the photo to SM - no keywords or description shows up - Link

I download the photo and confirmed that picture contains the expected keywords and description - see the attachment.

I renamed the file with a meaningful name and uploaded again - this time the keywords shows up picked up from the file name - Link

I searched various threads but could not get any conclusive answers

Any help would be appreciated.
    I don't know, weird - I downloaded your photo, added a few more iptc kewords via Bridge and they uploaded fine. Will keep checking.