keywords - how do they work

jstrattonjstratton Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited February 6, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Ok, I looked over the other thread about keywording and I think that discussion is way over my head . . . maybe I'm looking at the wrong threads - I've been looking at the help section of smugmug too.

In looking over the posts about how search engines work I see that keywords are important. Understood, I see that keywords can be entered on individual galleries or on individual photos. On my control panel I see "top 100 photo keywords", and they are words used in our uploaded file names. I haven't entered any keywords when customizing galleries - if I want to use keywords, will I need to go into each and every gallery and enter keywords?

Could someone tell me if there is a way to edit this top 100 list, and how I can get the most benefit out of the keyword feature? What I'd really like to see is a place to enter a few phrases and words that when entered on the search engine would take a person to our homepage - I'd rather not have people being taken directly to a gallery.

Learning with help, Aurelia
J+A Stratton

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    Photo keywords, gallery titles, and descriptions will be indexed by the major search engines, if the photos are in public galleries. Add / modify your keywords by using edit keywords (bulk) in photo tools.

Gallery keywords help in searching from SmugMug. they are entered at the gallery customization screen.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags

Does this help?
  • jstrattonjstratton Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Photo keywords, gallery titles, and descriptions will be indexed by the major search engines, if the photos are in public galleries. Add / modify your keywords by using edit keywords (bulk) in photo tools.

Gallery keywords help in searching from SmugMug. they are entered at the gallery customization screen.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags

Does this help?

Ok, yes, I see where they are coming from now and how to remove them . . . . you all must have an endless supply of patience!
    J+A Stratton