Anyone heard of this issue?

AZsnapperAZsnapper Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
edited February 7, 2007 in Finishing School
OK, this is a really wierd prob I'm having. I'm on a Dell 6000 laptop.

OK, CS2 is set to sRGB color space. I should clarify I'm woring with web graphics, but have noticed this also with photos. I create the html, preview on a browser (I have IE7 and Netscape) The color is now shifted, particularly in the yellow range. However, I can screen scape the browser window, paste in PS, and the colors match exactly the psd file. I can even run the eyedropper tool over on the browser window, and the color itself is correct to the psd file, but visualy, it is really off. I've had 3 other people here confirm this.

Just how is this possible? It's not even just images saved from the sliced psd, it's direct hex values from the style sheet. Somehow, some way, my browsers are shifting the color they're displaying

I've gone through all the control panel settings. I've run Adobe Gamma. I've tried it with my Huey color correction on and of. I've loaded different color profiles. I just don't know how really this is even possible...:cry
Visit my web site
www.shadowlakes.com

Comments

• PixoulPixoul Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    AZsnapper wrote:
    Just how is this possible? It's not even just images saved from the sliced psd, it's direct hex values from the style sheet. Somehow, some way, my browsers are shifting the color they're displaying

Welcome to the wonderful world of color profile Voodoo. Please read this thread to get started:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52770

And then read the following help entry:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/great-prints/2005/06/27/mac-browsers-can-you-believe-your-eyes/

Basically, Photoshop uses color profiles to accurately render color in sRGB images. Most browsers ignore that color profile so what you're seeing is the raw uncorrected pixels.

There's really nothing you can do and there are dozens of threads where people are squabbling about this issue (myself included). :D What you're seeing is basically "just how it is" when exporting images for the Web. ne_nau.gif

Edit: I see you're on a PC; even though the second link I gave is written for Mac users the same issue applies for IE and Firefox users on the PC.
  • AZsnapperAZsnapper Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Color
    Yeah, color thing is wierd, but also I forgot to mention, it is only happening on my PC. Everybody else here that views the pages on thier machines view it fine, just the same as my psd file on my computer. That's what making it strange - it only happens on the browsers on my computer and nowhere else

Pixoul wrote:
    Welcome to the wonderful world of color profile Voodoo. Please read this thread to get started:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52770

And then read the following help entry:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/great-prints/2005/06/27/mac-browsers-can-you-believe-your-eyes/

Basically, Photoshop uses color profiles to accurately render color in sRGB images. Most browsers ignore that color profile so what you're seeing is the raw uncorrected pixels.

There's really nothing you can do and there are dozens of threads where people are squabbling about this issue (myself included). :D What you're seeing is basically "just how it is" when exporting images for the Web. ne_nau.gif

Edit: I see you're on a PC; even though the second link I gave is written for Mac users the same issue applies for IE and Firefox users on the PC.
    Visit my web site
    www.shadowlakes.com
  • PixoulPixoul Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    AZsnapper wrote:
    Yeah, color thing is wierd, but also I forgot to mention, it is only happening on my PC.

Again, welcome to the world of color calibration. ;) Go over to a computer where you think it isn't happening, calibrate their system with the Huey, and then try again. Chances are that their monitor has a consumer "wicked vivid" calibration out of the box and is showing images more saturated than they should be. Once calibrated properly the images will probably now look washed-out. :D

I've got the same deal here...all the Macs I've tried with calibrated Cinema Displays and Powerbook LCD screens are displaying washed-out images in browsers but my wife's Mac mini with an uncalibrated consumer-grade $120 19" HANNS-G LCD is displaying images nice and vivid like they "should" look. But if I look at an sRGB image with the color profile attached on her monitor it looks way too saturated.

Another comparison is my Pepper Pad vs. my Pepper Pad 3 (my company makes these handheld Web computers). Both the Pepper Pad and the Pepper Pad 3 are running Linux and the browser is based on the Firefox browser. But, since they have different screens, the Pepper Pad displays images more washed-out (like my calibrated Apple displays) and the Pepper Pad 3 displays images all nice and saturated (like my wife's uncalibrated LCD).

Dozens of people have reported in the Digital Grin Forums the exact same problem you're experiencing and the answer in every single thread has been "that's just how it is".

To get an accurate proof in Photoshop on how an image will show up in a browser, go to View -> Proof Setup -> Monitor RGB. At least that's what I use on a Mac in CS1.