please explain mirror lock

KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited February 7, 2007 in Cameras
I was trying to take some pictures of the moon last night, unsuccesful of course. I had read about mirror lock but am not sure how to go about executing it. I realize it is supposed to prevent camera shake when taking the shot.

Comments

• KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    well, just discovered that the 300d canon does not have mirror lock-up capability.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:
    I was trying to take some pictures of the moon last night, unsuccesful of course. I had read about mirror lock but am not sure how to go about executing it. I realize it is supposed to prevent camera shake when taking the shot.

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2319310

It's a setting on your camera. Tell us what you have and we can try and help.
    thumb.gif
  • KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    I have the canon digital rebel
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    If you're feeling brave, there's a software hack that enables mirror lock up on the 300D.

Either that, or hold it upside down and shake it until the mirror flops out of the way, then caaaarefullly bring it right side up and take you shot.

Or not. lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Kristina,
    You don't really need to use MLU feature.

Moon is a fairly brightly lit object. You can safely apply "Cloudy Eight" rule and set your camera for ISO100, f/8 and 1/100s (or whatever shutter speed is around, like 1/90 or 1/125). If tyou weak any of those parameters simply adjut others accordingly.
    Also, if you shoot RAW you'd be able to safely correct minor exposure mistakes later.

I shot moon handheld and with tripod, with ISO ranging from 100 to 3200... Trust me, you very rarely need mirror lockup...deal.gif

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"