First two pics with Nikon D80! (56k = no!)

JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited February 22, 2007 in Holy Macro
I decided to just upload the pictures to my comcast ftp so you all can see them. If you want to keep them, just right click and save. They make cool desktop background pics. :)

They are the full unedited 10.2mp photos; one is 3.1mb while the other is 3.4mb, so give it time. :thumb

Taken with the Nikon D80 with 18-135mm lens on a tripod. :)

Pic 1
Pic 2
Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
Canon AE-1 Program l FD 28mm 1:2.8 l FD 50mm 1:1.8 l Sunpak Auto 821 Dedicated

Comments

• SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    WOW! Lotsa curvature on that 2nd shot.
    I like... thumb.gif but the buildings are all falling in towards the white light! ne_nau.gifeek7.gif
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Nice, I've heard good things about the D80. But there's lots of CA on that 18-135 eh? Check out that blue-green border on the bright white roof of the building behind the WDKF building.

I love night shots. You should try this again maybe when the sky isn't quite as dark. My best night shots were late dusk (or early dawn if I can get my butt out of bed). Choose appropriately for whatever direction that shot is taken from. thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    JohnC wrote:
    I decided to just upload the pictures to my comcast ftp so you all can see them. If you want to keep them, just right click and save. They make cool desktop background pics. :)

They are the full unedited 10.2mp photos; one is 3.1mb while the other is 3.4mb, so give it time. thumb.gif

Pic 1
    Pic 2

Wow nice shots John, how bout posting them as well when you've edited them, they look great, plenty of colour thumb.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Wow nice shots John, how bout posting them as well when you've edited them, they look great, plenty of colour thumb.gif .... Skippy

Thanks, all! I did attempt to resize these down to 800x5, but Adobe CS2 for some reason made them brighter and they lost some color. Is there a trick to where you can chop them down without losing color and adding brightness, or do I need different photo eding software? thumb.gif
    Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    JohnC wrote:

They are the full unedited 10.2mp photos; one is 3.1mb while the other is 3.4mb, so give it time. thumb.gif

Pic 1
    Pic 2

What were your setting on this pic...do you remember? Great shots.
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Ah, the Batman building. Sign of a truly Nashville skyline.

Great shots, I like :)
    edited February 8, 2007
    Well, I finally got in contact with the guy that just happened to walk up with a month old Nikon D70 last night. He did help me with the setup and his advice produced the best shots. He was a really cool dude and helpful. :)
    Now you guys can compare the D70 to D80 on the same night and same tripod with slightly different settings.
    This was some info he gave in email. I'm not sure what he means by a bit warmer, but...
    Mine came out a bit warmer because I had my white balance turned down. but those colors in yours are awesome.
    JoshH_Pic1 with D70

I found my old shots made with the Sony DSC-F828 8mp camera with fixed lens (thanks AOL). These are chopped down to 800x600, but not edited for color, brightness, etc. I can't seem to locate the full 8mp shots, but at least you can compare.
    Now the thing about these is I made the pics right out of the box on nothing but auto, nightshot, and on a tripod. The nikon pics are on custom settings.
    (Yes, I know my tripod was angled, but it was cold and windy, so I wanted to jump out, make shots, and go quicly.)
    51at800x600.jpg
    54at800x600.jpg
    So now you all have 3 cameras to compare here. The D80 and D70 on the same day and location, and the old Sony F828 8mp at the same location! :headspin :rockout
    edited February 8, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    What were your setting on this pic...do you remember? Great shots.

I can't recall. I can try to ask the guy that helped me (he seemed to have it down). I'll email him shortly and ask for you. thumb.gif

Yes, I can't take full credit since this guy (Josh) did help me set it up. It was my first night out with the D80 and I hadn't even read the manual yet. I've never had a film or digi SLR before now. Only the small digi cams and the F828. I only shot pics in auto before this Nikon.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    JohnC wrote:
    I can't recall. I can try to ask the guy that helped me (he seemed to have it down). I'll email him shortly and ask for you. thumb.gif

Yes, I can't take full credit since this guy (Josh) did help me set it up. It was my first night out with the D80 and I hadn't even read the manual yet. I've never had a film or digi SLR before now. Only the small digi cams and the F828. I only shot pics in auto before this Nikon.

Thanks John...just PM me the information if you have time.
    edited February 8, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    Thanks John...just PM me the information if you have time.

This is what he said when I asked him in email:
    I had it in Program mode (‘P’). from there, once you give it something to go on (i.e. press the shoot button halfway down and then let up) you can scroll through all the possible Shutter Speed and Aperture combinations with that scroll wheel next to your right hand thumb. For night shots, I generally prefer the longest shutter speed I can get (which means the smallest aperture) (assuming I have a tripod). This small aperture also gives lights a “star-like” quality rather then just brights balls.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80.htm

If you haven’t already seen this site, I highly recommend reading around on it. The guy is a photographer and a fairly normal person (meaning he’s not a crazy enthusiast; he’s actually fairly economical). He explains things very plainly and covers pretty much everything. Check out his user’s guide for your camera. It’ll help you get started.

Good luck!
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    You could of course set your D80 to aperture priority (which is the A setting on Nikons if I'm not mistaken) and stop down your aperture to f/16 or f/22. Then you always know that your aperture will remain the same and your shutter speed will adjust accordingly. But don't forget, if you're metering in a situation that is likely to throw the camera off, you'll have to compensate accordingly. So if you're shooting someone playing in the sand or snow, you'll have to go to +2EV and if you're shooting someone against a dark backdrop you'll have to go to -2EV. Say you're shooting someone lying in the grass, you'll need to go to -2/3EV to -1EV. It's called the zone system. You can find out more on dgrin (though the post I'm thinking of is absolutely eluding me) and I think this book has helped me out the most to understand it.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited February 13, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    You could of course set your D80 to aperture priority (which is the A setting on Nikons if I'm not mistaken) and stop down your aperture to f/16 or f/22. Then you always know that your aperture will remain the same and your shutter speed will adjust accordingly. But don't forget, if you're metering in a situation that is likely to throw the camera off, you'll have to compensate accordingly. So if you're shooting someone playing in the sand or snow, you'll have to go to +2EV and if you're shooting someone against a dark backdrop you'll have to go to -2EV. Say you're shooting someone lying in the grass, you'll need to go to -2/3EV to -1EV. It's called the zone system. You can find out more on dgrin (though the post I'm thinking of is absolutely eluding me) and I think this book has helped me out the most to understand it.

Thanks for the info, sir! I will try that next time out. thumb.gif
    edited February 22, 2007
    Well, I used Picture Project to get the photo info for these night shots. It said:

Exposure Mode: Programme...
    Metering Mode: Multi-pattern
    30sec F/13
    Exposure Comp: 0EV
    Sensitivity: ISO 100
    Optomize Image: Normal
    White Balance: Auto
    Color Mode: Mode la (sRGB)
    Tone Comp: Auto
    Hue Adjustment: 0
    Saturation: Auto
    Sharpening: Auto
    Long Exposure NR: Off
    VR: Off
    High ISO NR: Off

Hope this helps those who wanted to know. :D