Options

First wedding shoot

photographersfrontphotographersfront Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited February 17, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Let me state for the record that I am used to working on product photos so this whole thing was quite intimidating and a learning experience for me. That said I want to share the first from this series of wedding day photos!

Comments

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2004
    Let me state for the record that I am used to working on product photos so this whole thing was quite intimidating and a learning experience for me. That said I want to share the first from this series of wedding day photos!
    Well if you are going to take such sensitive and romantic shots you are going to have to do away with the tough guy avatar! icon10.gif

Very nice work! I can hardly wait to see more.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2004
    A lovely and unique image for a wedding album. Nice work.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2004
    mr. longusername, i hope you don't mind an open and honest critique of your image. if you do, then please don't read any further.

First of all, you have the wrong hand. This sort of image should clearly show the rings. If you can't get both (which is hard to do, because people don't naturally hold eachother's left hands), then get the bride's ring. I like to pose shots like this, with the B&G sitting next to eachother, left hands one on top of the other, against her dress. Men usually wear black tuxedos at weddings, and it's rare that a ring shot will look romantic with a black background. This is a good opportunity to get the bridal bouquet too...two birds with one stone, as it were.

Next, the vignette idea is cool, but you've got his black leg (or something on the left)...and a carrot (??) on the right. The lace on the right is just kinda floating in space. Too far away from the bride for a connection. Bottom line...too busy.

Lastly, an image like this rarely stands on its own. In an album, I would mount this below, or on the facing page, of a two-shot of the happy couple. Not a headshot, but a full-lenth body shot in a loving embrace, or just holding eachother's hands looking wistfully into eachother's eyes. Pose it. Don't be bashful about setting up shots. Sure, it's their happy day, but it's also your job to capture the images that they will look at for the rest of their lives. Memories fade, but images last. It's a gift and a curse to be a photographer.

Anyway, I hope you take these words as positive criticism, as that's how they were intended. I'd love to see some more of the shots you took at the wedding, and I'll glady shut my piehole if you want me to. :smooch
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    fish wrote:

Next, the vignette idea is cool, but you've got his black leg (or something on the left)...and a carrot (??) on the right. The lace on the right is just kinda floating in space. Too far away from the bride for a connection. Bottom line...too busy.
    :smooch
    I think the object to the right is the holster for the bride's father's gun.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    I think the object to the right is the holster for the bride's father's gun.
    rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    fish wrote:
    ....First of all, you have the wrong hand. This sort of image should clearly show the rings. .... :smooch
    Very useful post. It was an eye opener of ideas. I wonder if we could put together a wedding shooter's FAQ full of these kinds of pointers
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    Patch would be useful at that,since he does it for money. Perhaps a little too much like work for him though.
    Sid.
  • Options
    kometkomet Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2004
    fish is a very observant lad. I never would have noticed the carrot.rolleyes1.gif
    komet gives light so that you may find the way.
  • Options
    photographersfrontphotographersfront Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2004
    fish wrote:
    mr. longusername, i hope you don't mind an open and honest critique of your image. if you do, then please don't read any further.
    Anyway, I hope you take these words as positive criticism, as that's how they were intended. I'd love to see some more of the shots you took at the wedding, and I'll glady shut my piehole if you want me to. :smooch

Criticism is what I was after, the constructive kind that is! (The "carrot" is part of a podium) They had many podiums which was both a help and a hindrance, nice to hide behind but they were also getting in the way of shots. I was working from a list that the Bride had given me, this was one I had just improvised. I really tried to tell them that I wasn't ready for this kind of thing as soup cans and tires have been my forte for so long.

I did have alot of fun and wouldn't mind doing it again. I think a list of pointers would be an awesome idea as there really isn't alot out there to guide you. I found a few sites but for the most part they wanted money to join and since I am new to this and not sure it is a direction I want to take I don't really want to invest in memberships that I may or may not use.

Please Fish, do not shut your pie hole, I am always up for advice.

As for the list, I'll help start it!

This will be number one for me forever for wedding shoots!
    1) Two words "stretching exercises". About an hour before a wedding shoot get warmed up and limber. You are going to be squatting for anywhere from an hour to two hours and that can take it's toll on the leg muscles.

I am still sore as all get out from the shoot, now where is that ibuprofen?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 17, 2004
    fish wrote:

First of all, you have the wrong hand. This sort of image should clearly show the rings. If you can't get both (which is hard to do, because people don't naturally hold eachother's left hands), then get the bride's ring. I like to pose shots like this, with the B&G sitting next to eachother, left hands one on top of the other, against her dress. Men usually wear black tuxedos at weddings, and it's rare that a ring shot will look romantic with a black background. This is a good opportunity to get the bridal bouquet too...two birds with one stone, as it were.

Lastly, an image like this rarely stands on its own. In an album, I would mount this below, or on the facing page, of a two-shot of the happy couple. Not a headshot, but a full-lenth body shot in a loving embrace, or just holding eachother's hands looking wistfully into eachother's eyes. Pose it. Don't be bashful about setting up shots. Sure, it's their happy day, but it's also your job to capture the images that they will look at for the rest of their lives. Memories fade, but images last. It's a gift and a curse to be a photographer.

OH COME ON Fish - Tell us what you really think....don't get all soft and squishy on usLaughing.gif
    eek7.gif
    Nice image for a Hoosier Laughing.gif From one Hoosier to another lickout.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin