Before I purchase Photoshop...

jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
edited February 8, 2007 in Finishing School
I'm looking at buying Adobe's Photoshop, but not the CS3 that's coming out. I can't justify $500 for software on the budding hobby!

I've been poking around eBay and have found various versions of Photoshop, like 6 and 7 and have seen notes that I can then upgrade to CS2 for about $150. Is this true? If I can upgrade an older version to CS2, where should I purchase the upgrade?

Again, thanks guys!
Semper fi,
Brad
www.facebook.com/SwearingenTurnings -- Hand made pens by yours truly

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    You will probably need to have full ownership of the license if you are asked to provide proof for an upgrade discount. You want either a copy of Photoshop that has never been registered, or if a previous owner did register it, you want them to do an official transfer of license to you through Adobe. However, I don't know the details because I've never done it. Once you register it in your name, it's officially yours and you get the upgrade privileges for that license.

If they sell you an old copy but they keep their license and upgrade, you may find yourself ineligible because that serial number was already upgraded. It's one of those eBay risks.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    I wouldn't trust the ebay sellers to be giving you a legal copy. Good idea to e-mail sellers, raise the issues colourbox does.

Bottom line? These days, with registration required, Photoshop is tough to get into cheaply, while staying legal.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited February 7, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Photoshop is tough to get into cheaply, while staying legal.

One thing to try, is scrounge through the CDs that came with every camera, scanner, tablet, or photo-related peripheral you've ever bought. See if any of them came with any version of Photoshop, including Photoshop Elements or PhotoDeluxe. Many did, and many of those were upgradeable to Photoshop. I don't know if those offers are still in effect, but it wouldn't hurt to ask Adobe what the upgrade price is for whatever you find.
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    What do you plan on using photoshop for? What OS do you use? What editor have you been using?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    What do you plan on using photoshop for? What OS do you use? What editor have you been using?

I just started in dSLR's, and have been stumbling through the bundled software that came with my XTi (my first dSLR). I'm forcing myself to shoot in RAW at all times, to better aquaint myself with 'real photography'...

I'm running Windows XT on an HP Pavillion with a flat screen monitor (if the hardware matters).

Plans? Not quite sure yet. I shoot like madman, at just about anything, as each shot is basically no cost until I print. I'll eventually take a photog class, but that'll be some time in the future, maybe this fall if I'm fortunate.

Does this help at all?
    Semper fi,
    Brad
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Might be worth a quick look at the open source tools (free) like Gimp. I personally find that I can do everything I need without paying for any software. Picassa from google is also good if you don't need the higher end features.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    quark wrote:
    Might be worth a quick look at the open source tools (free) like Gimp. I personally find that I can do everything I need without paying for any software. Picassa from google is also good if you don't need the higher end features.

I think I'll check these out first. Thanks!
    Semper fi,
    Brad
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    In windows, I can get just about anything done with Photoshop 7 and Bibble Pro. I have stopped using the CS versions because of their use of activation.

If you are not doing much page layup with text, then GIMP is a viable alternative to Photoshop 7. As far as RAW goes for open source software, you can use ufraw with gimp, but it is still a little rough around the edges. For now, I am using bibble for raw editing.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    quark wrote:

i agree. gimp is a great tool that's even better because it's free!!! :) you may also want to consider (i know i'm going to get stoned for this) photoshop elements. it's NOT photoshop CS, but i bet it'll do the vast majority of what you're wanting to do at a much lower price point.

oh, and i don't trust ebay either for "used" software. if you're a student by chance, try looking in your campus book store or find an online retailer selling academic software licensing - much cheaper than retail! good luck!
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
    edited February 8, 2007
    The current Photoshop Elements does seem powerful for its price. Another alternative to consider is Lightroom+GIMP. Lightroom would be a cheaper and easier workflow than Photoshop, yet professional grade, and GIMP can do the rest.
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Elements is so cheap(relatively) that I would go for that now and then as you grow and improve consider upgrading.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    The current Photoshop Elements does seem powerful for its price. Another alternative to consider is Lightroom+GIMP. Lightroom would be a cheaper and easier workflow than Photoshop, yet professional grade, and GIMP can do the rest.

I would second this. And especially if you're just starting out with dSLRs + RAW, Lightroom allows you to do almost everything you need for *global* changes (white balance, exposure, black/white points, really nice cropping, nice curves etc etc). I used Lightroom for a long time while getting the hang of the camera and of basic processing, and I'm just now realising its limitations as I get into the world of Dan Margulis.
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    I would go for the PS Elements route as an entry point. I started w/ LE then 2, and then went to PS 7. Many of the weak points of 2 are now resolved in PSE 5, such as ACR support. If you get to the point you need to be doing curves or channels, then upgrade.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I would go for the PS Elements route as an entry point. I started w/ LE then 2, and then went to PS 7. Many of the weak points of 2 are now resolved in PSE 5, such as ACR support. If you get to the point you need to be doing curves or channels, then upgrade.
    I'm no PS fan. Elements is like editing in boots. It's a dogged thing to use. I bought in and now consider it a waste of cold, hard cash. Gimp is FAR more elegant than elements, which appears to be put together out of the PS scraps bin.

Ps does have some very cool tools. But considering what's available out there today, if you don't use complex workflow and plug-ins in a pro shop I say forget Adobe. Too big, too expensive and toooooo big bro for me.

Better yet, try Picture Window. Free for 30 days then cheap and powerful.

Not sure why no one here seems to want to talk about it?ne_nau.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    I am not the biggest PS fan, but having started with GIMP, then Corel Paintshop Pro, i eventually got PS2. And it wasnt because I found Corel limiting, but it was the fact that any tutorials on advanced photo editting are done for Photoshop. Translating to Paintshop or even GIMP (no LAB), was just impossible. I have become far more productive and "capable" in my photo editing because of tutorials available over the web, and here on Dgrin. I would still be doing very basic things in GIMP and Corel.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Count my vote for PSP (Corel Paint Shop Pro).