Options

Google Listing

Marc SMarc S Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited February 10, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi all,

Still not understanding how to get my site recognized by search engines. I registered it about 6 months ago. However, it's not recognizing it in a way I would like it to.:dunno

A friend of mine created a website (not Smugmug) and his is recognized right off the bat in large bold print on a Google search. He said he didn't do anything that he knows of to get it to appear that way.

A search of my site...even with the website name....points me toward the site but not specifically to the site.

Is there a secret I'm not aware of?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Marc S wrote:
    Is there a secret I'm not aware of?

Thanks

1. Keywords. Here are yours:

http://www.inframepictures.com/keyword/
    Not many, and not very google friendly.

2. get linked by other sites

3. start a blog

4. post links to your site in other places (like here!) and other forums.
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/Pros
    see my pro tips, and the search results piece on our wiki. Holler with any questions.
  • Options
    Marc SMarc S Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Ahh... Thanks.

I had always heard about having keywords to make the searches work. So I added them to my pictures. Now I see that I needed to put them in other places.

Thanks Andy. BTW, love the hat.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Marc S wrote:
    Ahh... Thanks.

I had always heard about having keywords to make the searches work. So I added them to my pictures. Now I see that I needed to put them in other places.

Thanks Andy. BTW, love the hat.

Another decent trick is a myspace page. Yeah, yeah-- myspace, yuck. But it's free. Link to your SM site and use the networking at myspace to your advantage. Get 'friends' to link to your site, etc, etc. It all helps.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    ashsimmondsashsimmonds Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    wow, i've been with smugmug less than a week, there's a classic car rally here in Adelaide (australia) called the "Classic Adelaide". well, last year i took some pics, and a few days ago uploaded them to my gallery.

now, search Classic Adelaide 2006 and my gallery is the first result after the official page! :ivar

that's way cool, but i'm also wondering... i've switched over to using my own domain, just wondering if it will be more likely to index my domain or my smugmug subdomain?

edit: adding pic of result.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    that's way cool, but i'm also wondering... i've switched over to using my own domain, just wondering if it will be more likely to index my domain or my smugmug subdomain?
    Over time, your custom domain.