Options

Balloons

Gregory OngGregory Ong Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited February 9, 2007 in People
Hi Dgrinners,

Took these inpromptu shots after 'acquiring' some balloons from an event. Translucent yellow against black balloons seems to make a good contrast that's great for black and white shots too.

These were taken under flourescent lighting with white balance set to auto.

Would love to have some constructive criticisms on these. Pray tell your thoughts.

128338770-M.jpg

128338768-M.jpg

128338773-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    I like 1 and 2 (as a series) a lot. I'm not a big fan of 3. Maybe if 3 was also just a head shot, but with the balloons behind I would feel like it fit more.

Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Cropping
    Thanks for the feedback... I can see what you mean.

128470927-S.jpg

Yup, it's definitely more sensual, although I can see that some flashfill would have helped.
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    i think they're cute. :D i'm a big fan of portrait oriented shots, so, naturally, i like the 2nd shot best.

they're such simple pictures, that there's no right or wrong about them. methinks either a person will fancy them, or they won't. i do.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Props
    Thanks for the encouragement and kind comments.

I find that having props when taking portraits (especially playful portraits) helps a lot. And the simplest, most common props work well, ranging from balloons to play mobil figurines to even a simple glass of water http://gregoryong.smugmug.com/photos/128182527-M.jpg.

Does anybody know of any good links to exposure techniques? That's an area I need A LOT of work on.