Vista problems ...

NewCreation517NewCreation517 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited February 20, 2007 in Finishing School
I hope this is the right forum ...

I just upgraded to Vista, and now my 20D won't show up anywhere. Vista tells me it is installing new drivers blah blah blah, and then confirms the device is installed and ready to use. But nope. The picture wizard doesn't appear, the camera doesn't show up in Explorer, nothing.

I never had problems with this in XP.

Any solutions to fix this problem? Thank you so much guys!
Not there yet, but I've passed the start ...

Comments

• photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    What did Canon say about Vista compatibility with the 20D when you checked? :D
    edited February 8, 2007
    Canon's website for Vista compatibility:

http://www.usa.canon.com/opd/controller?act=OPDSupportVistaAct

"Products or models that are not listed in the menus below are currently not supported in Windows Vista™"

No digital cameras were listed....sounds like no Vista drivers yet
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    This is correct. You'll need to get a memory card reader if you don't yet have one.

(I wonder whether people will blame Canon or MS for this...)
  • padupadu Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Have you tried looking under "administrative tools -> computer management -> disk management"? (I don't even know if it's the same on vista, but it's worthy a try)

Sometimes I had storage devices properly enumerated but not showing on explorer. I had to manually assign a driver letter to it.
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera
  • AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    This is correct. You'll need to get a memory card reader if you don't yet have one.

(I wonder whether people will blame Canon or MS for this...)

Based on most of my reading over the last few days, it is sure to be MS!

Anthony
    edited February 9, 2007
    Anthony wrote:
    Based on most of my reading over the last few days, it is sure to be MS!

Anthony

Check for compatibility BEFORE undertaking a complete OS change. Because the poster failed to do this everyone jumps all over MS...cmon!

Checking for compatibility with your hardware and software is a necessary step to perform, everyone knows that, and that drivers can be slim pickins in the early days of a new OS release. It took me all of 2 minutes to determine that on the Canon website.

The good news is that your drivers will be forthcoming...you know the pressure is on Canon to get these out. They're a market leader and will do it to maintain their dominance.

So don't bash MS (or any other technology because the mostly-bags-of-water humans didn't do the prudent research)

/rant deal.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    As was said earlier, an inexpensive USB card reader will make downloading your shots a lot easier.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    As was said earlier, an inexpensive USB card reader will make downloading your shots a lot easier.
    AND normally a whole lot FASSSSSSSTER than downloading from any camera.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    And doesn't slurp your battery. It's a no-brainer.

See also: http://blog.duncandavidson.com/2006/10/the_compact_fla.html
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
  • silvershoessilvershoes Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 9, 2007
    photodoug wrote:
    So don't bash MS (or any other technology because the mostly-bags-of-water humans didn't do the prudent research)

/rant deal.gif
    Speaking as an IS professional, that rant is emotional but inaccurate.

If Vista were beta, it would be fair to place blame on the user or Canon. But it's an official release, which means anyone purchasing it has a right to expect not to have to jump through hoops to make it work as long as they meet the minimum hardware requirements.

Canon is a reputable company and would no doubt have been ready for the release - unless something in the spec changed at the last minute. In case you haven't noticed, a lot of programs and a lot of hardware are having problems running under Vista right now.

Nobody's bashing Microsoft - but most IS professionals aren't in love with their spotty testing or business model, either. In fact this is exactly why so many companies still run older operating systems like Win2K and refuse to upgrade, and why so many IS professionals make it a rule never to upgrade until at least one service pack has been released. All the cool features promised by an upgrade are worthless if you can't do business.
  • AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    photodoug wrote:
    Check for compatibility BEFORE undertaking a complete OS change. Because the poster failed to do this everyone jumps all over MS...cmon!

Checking for compatibility with your hardware and software is a necessary step to perform, everyone knows that, and that drivers can be slim pickins in the early days of a new OS release. It took me all of 2 minutes to determine that on the Canon website.

The good news is that your drivers will be forthcoming...you know the pressure is on Canon to get these out. They're a market leader and will do it to maintain their dominance.

/rant deal.gif

Err, my comment was meant to be taken as ironic...

Anthony.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Canon is a reputable company and would no doubt have been ready for the release - unless something in the spec changed at the last minute.

Nothing that would affect this changed between the final release candidate and the version on store shelves. I'd have to look at my notes, but I'm pretty sure nothing affecting it changed in the release before that either.

The version on shelves was finalized in November - so at the very least Canon had 2 months to figure something out. FWIW
    edited February 9, 2007
    Speaking as an IS professional, that rant is emotional but inaccurate.

If Vista were beta, it would be fair to place blame on the user or Canon. But it's an official release, which means anyone purchasing it has a right to expect not to have to jump through hoops to make it work as long as they meet the minimum hardware requirements.

Canon is a reputable company and would no doubt have been ready for the release - unless something in the spec changed at the last minute. In case you haven't noticed, a lot of programs and a lot of hardware are having problems running under Vista right now.

Nobody's bashing Microsoft - but most IS professionals aren't in love with their spotty testing or business model, either. In fact this is exactly why so many companies still run older operating systems like Win2K and refuse to upgrade, and why so many IS professionals make it a rule never to upgrade until at least one service pack has been released. All the cool features promised by an upgrade are worthless if you can't do business.

I do agree in theory, but reality with MS has always been that there's a shortage of drivers at first (for some OSes it was longer than that!). We all know that and have come to expect and accept that. That's why we wait and don't upgrade right away....from one IS pro to another.
  • fdifdi Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    I am ex-computer engineer. Personally, I try to avoid a new OS for a least a year if not more. In fact, I will be replacing the last PC at my business that is running W2000 later this month and it will be with a new PC running XP. I have already verified with Dell that they will ship Optiplex with XP through the end of the year. At that time I will probably buy a couple of spare PCs just to keep the option of avoiding Vista open even longer.

I have never been a fan of Microsoft, and Canon’s software support has not exactly impressed me, but I can tell you I am surprised things work as well as they do. There are thousands of versions of PCs with different video cards, memory cards, processors, chip sets…et. There are thousands of software packages. And there are thousands of hardware devices that interface to PCs. That means there are thousands * thousands * thousands which is Billions of combinations. It is just not humanly possible let alone economically feasible to ever test and fix every combination.

In the past computer hardware use to be pretty bug free and you just had to worry about the software. Now the ICs used to make computers and many techno toys are so complicated that it is impossible to fully test them. That means they just get released with bugs and there is no such thing as software without bugs. Even if you have a small program it is being compiled with a compiler that has bugs, linking in libraries that have bugs, and running on an OS that has bugs. Frankly, it is a miracle you don’t have to power cycle everything electronic in your house more often.
    Picture Frames Destination, Inc.
    Facebook
    My Picture Framing Blog
    Rebel T2i, 100mm/2.8, 28-105mm
    100-300mm, 17-35mm
    edited February 20, 2007
    drivers, get yer drivers
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    I hope this is the right forum ...

I just upgraded to Vista, and now my 20D won't show up anywhere. Vista tells me it is installing new drivers blah blah blah, and then confirms the device is installed and ready to use. But nope. The picture wizard doesn't appear, the camera doesn't show up in Explorer, nothing.

I never had problems with this in XP.

Any solutions to fix this problem? Thank you so much guys!

I'm using VISTA, but I have never even on XP hooked my camera up to the computer, it is far easier to use a card reader..... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin