Options

Experimenting with light..

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited January 21, 2005 in Technique
In the absence of a model I must turn to Wally the walmart teddy. I would appreciate comments on my lighting attempts (seriously, just cos he's a teddy don't laugh) shot f/4 1/50 ISO 200 using north facing late day window light and my new Lastolite reflector and bounced flash off a high white ceiling...:dunno
Don't be nice... it's not what I need... I want to take shots like Yuri..:wink

14427182-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    First let me say I am not trying to be smart. I think your lighting looks great in this shot. I would like to hear what your setup was. I like it a lot.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited January 18, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Don't be nice... it's not what I need... I want to take shots like Yuri..mwink.gif

14427182-S.jpg

If you want to take shots like Yuri, you're going to have to get a more warm-blooded photogenic model.... :D With model's like Yuris, you don't have to worry about the lighting as much. I asked him if that was natural light, but haven't received an answer yet.

Actually Lynn, I think this is a very nice B&W with good tonality and sharpeness. This must be your new lens, right?1drink.gif I think I may be buying a teddy bear too for a model. thumb.gif I can always cuddle with it at night then too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    First let me say I am not trying to be smart. I think your lighting looks great in this shot. I would like to hear what your setup was. I like it a lot.
    thanks greap..late afternoon grey light in front of my glass patio doors. Then Just a large white reflector on the oposite side of the natural light.. I used my speedlite 420 pointed at a very high white ceiling hopeing for some bounce down.. I think there may have been some on the top of his head...

cropped usm channel mixer to black and white. now If I could just find a LIVE bear or human come to that...1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    If you want to take shots like Yuri, you're going to have to get a more warm-blooded photogenic model.... :D With model's like Yuris, you don't have to worry about the lighting as much. I asked him if that was natural light, but haven't received an answer yet.

Actually Lynn, I think this is a very nice B&W with good tonality and sharpeness. This must be your new lens, right?1drink.gif I think I may be buying a teddy bear too for a model. thumb.gif I can always cuddle with it at night then too.
    thanks path.. yes it was.. did you mean to post twice by the way.. you loved the shot so much you wanted to see him twice right?? and I do not take him to bed at night to cuddle.. he's a professional path.. you can't cuddle professional models... they sue you for harassment..rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    it's hard to tell... because fur and skin are different, dontcha know? :D anyhow, i do like the lighting here, it's fairly even imo, which for a bear, in bw, isn't bad. you can't really compare to easily to a human subject, becuase of the mix in tonality the human skin has, combined with the shadows created by effeective lighting.

yuri shoots mostly with window's light. try a north facing window, with a reflector, or two, and no flash. and a human (husband of lynnma?) if you can lol3.gif

ps: cute bear, even if he is from a store that allows the sale of .357 magnums but not playboy ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    it's hard to tell... because fur and skin are different, dontcha know? :D anyhow, i do like the lighting here, it's fairly even imo, which for a bear, in bw, isn't bad. you can't really compare to easily to a human subject, becuase of the mix in tonality the human skin has, combined with the shadows created by effeective lighting.

yuri shoots mostly with window's light. try a north facing window, with a reflector, or two, and no flash. and a human (husband of lynnma?) if you can lol3.gif

ps: cute bear, even if he is from a store that allows the sale of .357 magnums but not playboy ne_nau.gif
    Hey.. don't knock wally world.. we live in da country here.. Husband of lynnma went today (he goes nearly every day.. we'd be out of business without it) and bought a load of stuff and a toaster.. put the toaster on the bottom of the cart? underneath? Loaded up the car and comes home only to find toaster still in car park on cart. So him calls Wally World and says "can you just go see if it's still there and grab if fer me please?" but alas .. t'was a gonna.. them says "just bring yer receipt in husband of lynnma and we'll give yer another one". And by the way.. I'm a crack hot shot..thumb.gif

ps thanks for comments on Wally Bear.. husband of lynnma won't sit.. him gets edgy and bored and wants go play Halflife on hims puter.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    And by the way.. I'm a crack hot shot...
    \

:yikes
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    nice b/w
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2005
    damonff wrote:
    nice b/w
    thanks Damon :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    Well, let me be the one then. I think his nose is too bright, so there. And maybe his left jowl, too. blbl.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Well, let me be the one then. I think his nose is too bright, so there. And maybe his left jowl, too. blbl.gif
    yes Sid... you are right as usual...blbl.gif back to the drawing board artist.gif:D
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    yes Sid... you are right as usual...blbl.gif back to the drawing board artist.gif:D
    You might try more diffusion, but it is really tough when the part closest to the light and closest to the lens is also the lightest part.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    another try...with a husband of lynnma.. lighting the same.. north window, one reflector, no flash. Hair is white normally so it's a problem.. No photoshop, usm and a little curvesne_nau.gif what do you think of the lighting attempt..

How about another reflector at the lower right? The extreme left side is getting blown with underexposure on the right side.

mitch
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2005
    I redid him (he's getting very grumpy now) and did'nt crop so hard..

comments welcome please .. any improvement? ne_nau.gif

14522542-L.jpg
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    I redid him (he's getting very grumpy now) and did'nt crop so hard..

comments welcome please .. any improvement? ne_nau.gif

14522542-S.jpg
    I like this a lot better than the one you showed me the other day. I like the sweater and shirt. I like the window light. I'd like to know the details of lens, exposure, aperture, iso, &etc. I can see that it has been cropped and you have lost resolution. Fine for web posts, but not so fine for prints.

His eyes aren't tack sharp. I wonder why. Could be lens open wide and focus on nose or chin. Could be long exposure and he didn't sit still. Could be too much cropping. Could be that you couldn't restrain the glam PS tools. You answer.

But that is a technicality. This is a good composition and you flirted just right so he didn't mug and looks natural. That's hard to do.

The really hard thing is to learn to shoot so you don't have to crop. I can't consistently do this, but master photographers amost always seem to. Think about Leibovit's use of negative space in the portrait of Alice Walters or Hillary Clinton. Or wait until you get the book and see Claudia Kennedy or Joni Mitchell. That's what I aspire to learn.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2005
    Yeah, curious about the softness. headscratch.gif

Nice pose and expression, Lynn, and a perfect neurtral background that works with his pale features and light hair. He looks very handsome. For my money, you still need more light on the right side. Or a change in orientation of subject and light. Or a more subtle transition from light to dark. ne_nau.gif To my eye it looks like he has this dividing line right down the center of his face. Others may disagree, though. And is his left side hair too hot?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Yeah, curious about the softness. headscratch.gif

Nice pose and expression, Lynn, and a perfect neurtral background that works with his pale features and light hair. He looks very handsome. For my money, you still need more light on the right side. Or a change in orientation of subject and light. Or a more subtle transition from light to dark. ne_nau.gif To my eye it looks like he has this dividing line right down the center of his face. Others may disagree, though. And is his left side hair too hot?
    Hey thanks guys for comments.. very good. I'm learning as I go.. the light was very very white.. bouncing off the snow in the courtyard .. he was too close to the window.. I did crop but not hugely.. I think the "softness" has to do with my settings 1/13 f4 iso 200 70mm .. I'd say it was the f4 that did it.. I wanted as much light as poss - did'nt use the flash. I was trying for a dramatic effect of dark on the right side (my right) and light shining of the light side.. it did'nt come off the way I wanted. I can't say I'm happy with it.. I'll keep at it.. I need warmer light and as you say rutt try and get it so I don't crop ... big problem with me.. you must be sick of looking at him by now but he's the only one apart from Wally the bear who will sit. Got a brand new Lastolite reflector and stand too clap.gif my living room starts to resembe a studio rolleyes1.gifps rutt.. I did'nt give in.. no glam stuff. Just usm and a bit more on his eyes.. I can see the softness to tho...headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    1/13 is slow for a portrait. I think that's probably the cause of the softness. He'd have to be very still for that not to blur and his eyes are the hardest part to keep still and when they do move they move fast.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited January 21, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Hey thanks guys for comments.. very good. I'm learning as I go.. the light was very very white.. bouncing off the snow in the courtyard .. he was too close to the window.. I did crop but not hugely.. I think the "softness" has to do with my settings 1/13 f4 iso 200 70mm .. I'd say it was the f4 that did it.. I wanted as much light as poss - did'nt use the flash. I was trying for a dramatic effect of dark on the right side (my right) and light shining of the light side.. it did'nt come off the way I wanted. I can't say I'm happy with it.. I'll keep at it.. I need warmer light and as you say rutt try and get it so I don't crop ... big problem with me.. you must be sick of looking at him by now but he's the only one apart from Wally the bear who will sit. Got a brand new Lastolite reflector and stand too clap.gif my living room starts to resembe a studio rolleyes1.gifps rutt.. I did'nt give in.. no glam stuff. Just usm and a bit more on his eyes.. I can see the softness to tho...headscratch.gif

Lynn - You can get a little warmth in the color by adding an 81a or 85 filter in photoshop in Image>Adjust>Filter> 81 or 85 and adjust the slider to taste.

I think the commands are correct I am not at my desktop right now. And I agree 1/13th is too slow, even for the more steady female hand
    :D:D

Stop down to f5.6 as before, move the background further back, increase the ISO to 200 ( image noise cost next to nil) and then shoot at 1/60 or faster if you can. I hope to join you on this quest - I have ordered a pair of lights with umbrellas to shoot with also. Can't let you and Fish have all the fun!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    1/13 is slow for a portrait. I think that's probably the cause of the softness. He'd have to be very still for that not to blur and his eyes are the hardest part to keep still and when they do move they move fast.
    yes.. indeed.. I'll work on that.. thats probably the problem.. subliminally I was focused on f4 (cos I can :D ) and trying to let in loads of light.. I'll have to get more light...and maybe up the iso.. dont wanna tho..