Options

New Gateway Monitor

pauly632pauly632 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited February 9, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Well I must admit I am new to all of this I was wondering if any one had advice for getting my new monitor calibrated. :dunno The software it came with is crap and I was wondering if there are any programs out there I could get.

Thanks in advance,

Pauly
No matter where you go there you are!

Canon Rebel XTI
Tamron 28-75mm 2.8
Tamron 17-35mm 2.8

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited February 8, 2007
    You can do a search of this forum from above for these words... huey and calibration

There is also a review of the Huey in the Dgrin Review section. Many other calibration tools exist. Most all of them are decent.

Does your new monitor have a sRGB mode? That usually provides a decent first start.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    How much are you willing to spend, Pauly?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    TirzahTirzah Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 9, 2007
    My Gateway Monitor...
    I have the Gateway FPD2185W, which has proven to be an awesome monitor. I calibrate with the Spyder2 Suite.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Thanks abunch
    David_S85 wrote:
    You can do a search of this forum from above for these words... huey and calibration

There is also a review of the Huey in the Dgrin Review section. Many other calibration tools exist. Most all of them are decent.

Does your new monitor have a sRGB mode? That usually provides a decent first start.

Yes is it has the sRGB mode but that when I set it up was not looking right to me. :D Thanks for the search tips I was searching on monitor calibration and came up with a few threads.

Thanks again,

Pauly

Canon Rebel XTI
    Tamron 28-75mm 2.8
    Tamron 17-35mm 2.8
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Thanks
    Tirzah wrote:
    I have the Gateway FPD2185W, which has proven to be an awesome monitor. I calibrate with the Spyder2 Suite.

I have the step down fpd1975w. I am glad to hear positive feedback on the model line. I will check into the Spyder2 as I am finding that in a bunch of search threads. Thanks all for the point in the right direction......

Pauly

As far as money for software not to much of a object for a piece of sanity.

Canon Rebel XTI
    Tamron 28-75mm 2.8
    Tamron 17-35mm 2.8
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    In that case, I recommend Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display 2. A highly respected company that makes a first class product. But it's not cheap.

As I noted in the Huey thread, my Huey experience was not good. The Eye-One, on the other hand, has consistently given me excellent monitor calibrations.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Great info
    Thanks so much for the info. I just heard the same thing from a buddy of mine, he swears by it. I am checking out my options and will go with one soon. I have learned the hard way about rushing into things.

Thanks again,

Pauly

Canon Rebel XTI
    Tamron 28-75mm 2.8
    Tamron 17-35mm 2.8