Lightroom + i2e = Happiness

wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
edited April 16, 2007 in Finishing School
Does SmugMug have any pull with the folks over at Colour Science (makers of i2e)? I sent an email asking if they would create an i2e plugin for Lightroom. Frank Grossman was kind enough to reply, saying they weren't aware that Adobe would be releasing an SDK for Lightroom. I replied with a link to Adobe's Lightroom FAQ - page 2 has SDK info.

So, beyond me telling Colour Science that I would purchase said plugin, is there anything else we/you can do to encourage Colour Science to create it?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    wellman wrote:
    Does SmugMug have any pull with the folks over at Colour Science (makers of i2e)? I sent an email asking if they would create an i2e plugin for Lightroom. Frank Grossman was kind enough to reply, saying they weren't aware that Adobe would be releasing an SDK for Lightroom. I replied with a link to Adobe's Lightroom FAQ - page 2 has SDK info.

So, beyond me telling Colour Science that I would purchase said plugin, is there anything else we/you can do to encourage Colour Science to create it?
    No, no added pull. But I'll be meeting with Frank at PMA in Vegas, so I'll bring it up deal.gif
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    No, no added pull. But I'll be meeting with Frank at PMA in Vegas, so I'll bring it up deal.gif

Excellent! thumb.gif Someday I'll make it to a PMA show. Higher priority is an eventual DGrin shootout, however. mwink.gif
  • BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Second
    wellman wrote:

I was just thinking about how nice this would be the other day. I'll send an inquiry to Color Science to at least double the percieved demand :D
    edited February 8, 2007
    BenA2 wrote:
    I was just thinking about how nice this would be the other day. I'll send an inquiry to Color Science to at least double the percieved demand :D

Andy in Vegas + an army of two = surefire success! lol3.gif I'm hoping the Lightroom SDK will be somewhat similar to the PhotoShop line's SDK. I think we'll stand a better chance at getting our wish if this is the case.
  • El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    It will be interesting to see how such a plugin would work with Lightroom. Lightroom uses a fundamentally different architecture to Photoshop since it's non-destructive. CS3 now has "smart filters" which apply filters non-destructively, I haven't tried them but apparently the interface is slightly strange. See http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2006/12/the_secret_life_of_sf.html for some details if you're technically minded, it's an interesting read. They make an interesting distinction between filters that work pixel by pixel (i.e. require no knowledge of the neighbouring pixels, like curves) and ones that actually modify pixels (anything that isn't currently available on an adjustment layer, like USM or Shadow/Highlight).
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
    edited April 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Hey Andy, any insight from Frank?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    wellman wrote:
    Hey Andy, any insight from Frank?
    Glad you bumped this. I discussed it, he's busy, etc etc. But he's aware.

I'll ping him again.
    edited April 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Glad you bumped this. I discussed it, he's busy, etc etc. But he's aware.

I'll ping him again.

Thanks. Adobe hasn't even released the SDK yet (I don't think), so no huge rush. Good to know he's aware.