Options

20D Question

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited January 19, 2005 in Cameras
So, my new baby came today. Very, very, very nice.

Now I just gotta learn how to use it's power.

I have one question, the remote I had with the DigiRebel, the Canon RC-5 doesn't seem to work with the 20D. What are my options? I looked online, but must have looked at the wrong thing, because it was over $300.
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    OlgaJOlgaJ Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    Unfortunately the remote for the 20D is over $400. There is no simple remote control like there is for the Rebel.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=164268&is=USA

You can always get a wired remote, but keep in mind that the cords are quite short and you need an extension if you want them longer.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=164276&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=164271&is=REG

Olga
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    OUCH! That is real expensive.

I was just complaining to my friend about the price of a good D2H remote @ $150. I guess I was spoiled by the $20 remote for the D70 :D

Dave
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    So, my new baby came today. Very, very, very nice.

Now I just gotta learn how to use it's power.

I have one question, the remote I had with the DigiRebel, the Canon RC-5 doesn't seem to work with the 20D. What are my options? I looked online, but must have looked at the wrong thing, because it was over $300.
    David;
    You might enjoy Canon's online tutorial for the 20D et al.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2005
    OK, so I'm gonna hijack my own thread.

I've been reading about RAW/JPEG on the 20D. I've been an avid RAW user on the DigiRebel, but I'm wavering now with the 20D. On the DigiRebel, I never shot JPEG. On the 20D I'll still shoot RAW, but may shoot more JPEG.

This is due in part to reading this thread on Rob Galbraith's site.

It seems like the reliability of the 20D being so much better as far as exposure and AWB (I'm too lazy to set custome white balance) may mean that I can shoot JPEG without having the problems I had on the Rebel.

Any thoughts? RAW+JPEG? Throw away the RAW on the files that are snaps?

I don't really want to start a whole RAW vs. JPEG debate, each has it's own merits. I do want to better understand what I've got in my hands with the 20D, and I don't want to bypass something based on biases I had with the Rebel.

Thoughts?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

Thoughts?
    I've always shot Raw. But I bought my 20D in September and my raw converter of choice, Capture One, did not support it till after four months later.

So I started shooting RAW+large JPG.

I was very surprised at the JPGs I was getting. Three days after I first received my 20D I went to the rodeo and came home with what I thought were fantastic shots. I had taken them at ISO3200 and merely resized them and posted them. No noise reduction, no adjustments except probably whatever Breezebrowser basic sharpening went on when I resized. I was shocked! The shots were excellent. I even printed one of the shots at 10x13 with minimum post processing and I couldn't believe how good it looked.

http://yiayia.smugmug.com/gallery/225159

It doesn't matter which raw converter I tried to use, I couldn't get a conversion that looked better than the jpg. :)

But not all my shots have been that way. That's why I will continue to take Raw + JPG. :)

Olga
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

I've been reading about RAW/JPEG on the 20D. I've been an avid RAW user on the DigiRebel, but I'm wavering now with the 20D. On the DigiRebel, I never shot JPEG. On the 20D I'll still shoot RAW, but may shoot more JPEG.

It seems like the reliability of the 20D being so much better as far as exposure and AWB (I'm too lazy to set custome white balance) may mean that I can shoot JPEG without having the problems I had on the Rebel.

I don't really want to start a whole RAW vs. JPEG debate, each has it's own merits. I do want to better understand what I've got in my hands with the 20D, and I don't want to bypass something based on biases I had with the Rebel.

Thoughts?

the jpgs on the 20d are much better than on the rebel. exposure is nearly flawless (though i'd recommend -1/3 to -2/3s ec at all times).... awb is, imo, 99% good for most shots.

but i have to ask, with the price of memory so low, why not shoot the raw anyhow, you don't have to use it once you have your jpg parms set the way you like, but the *one* time you'll want it, it's nice to know that you've got it.

fwiw
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

I've been involved with that thread, if it is the one I think it is. The 20D does a fantastic job with AWB. About the only time you have worry is incandescent lights. If you have those, shoot RAW. And the exposure is usually spot-on as well. Unless you like to really alter your photos, shoot JPG. If you have a difficult situation, shoot RAW. Like Noel Carboni on the RG forums I'm a JPG shooter as well. I find only sporadic use of RAW for the types of shots I take.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2005
    Thanks, it's as I suspected. JPEG much improved, and my chances of using are improved, as well.

Here's another question.

I shot the sunset last night RAW+JPEG Fine, large, and imported into iView Media Pro. iVMP shows the dimensions of the JPEG to be 3504x2336 as expected, but the RAW shows as being 1536x1024. WTF? Why is that, am I doing something to cause that?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Thanks, it's as I suspected. JPEG much improved, and my chances of using are improved, as well.

Here's another question.

I shot the sunset last night RAW+JPEG Fine, large, and imported into iView Media Pro. iVMP shows the dimensions of the JPEG to be 3504x2336 as expected, but the RAW shows as being 1536x1024. WTF? Why is that, am I doing something to cause that?
    Sounds like that program is reading the embedded jpg of the raw file. There is always a 1536x1024 embedded jpg in the raw file although Canon does not tell you that.

Olga
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited January 19, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

Thoughts?

Dave, I think you know the answer to your own question. Most of my shooting is landscapes, macros, or low light candids and I prefer RAW for these because of the ability to correct color balance and the finer detail they permit with Adobe Raw converter. If I were shooting high speed sports or family snapshots I might shoot jpgs. If I am running low on my CF I may switch to jpgs rather thatn switch chips in the field. Depends on what your final goals for your images are, I think.
    One of the posters on the thread you submitted sugested that 20D RAW files weren't as detailed as incamera jpgs - This has not been my experience at all. I did post some incamera B&W jpgs from the 20D. I think the 20D does a really good job with incamera B&W conversion.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin