Options

At the Park

DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
edited February 10, 2007 in People
A few of my wife and kids at the park. C&C welcome.

125771317-M.jpg

125774829-M.jpg

125775181-M.jpg

125776503-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 8, 2007
    I like 'em-

particularly the first one-

maybe shoulda used fillin flash for the last one?-

(if you're like me, you never think of it til after the fact)-
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    I like 'em-

particularly the first one-

(if you're like me, you never think of it til after the fact)-
    Thanks for the feedback George. I usually do use fill flash. It may not have recycled or it wasn't enough to overcome the bright sun. I see what you mean.
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:

hrm... personally, i disagree. that last shot is actually my favorite one. it's a very warm, happy, and inviting shot. i like shadows and feel that "flash is fake." more often than not (about 99.999% of the time), i simply will not take the shot if i can't get it without the use of flash.

i know opinions vary greatly on that subject... but i think the last one, as is, is fantastic. looks like a great kid. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    com3 wrote:
    hrm... personally, i disagree. that last shot is actually my favorite one. it's a very warm, happy, and inviting shot. i like shadows and feel that "flash is fake." more often than not (about 99.999% of the time), i simply will not take the shot if i can't get it without the use of flash.

i know opinions vary greatly on that subject... but i think the last one, as is, is fantastic. looks like a great kid. thumb.gif

Thanks for the comments.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    I also like the last the best - I think it's very good. I also think -2/3 to -1 FEC fill would have softened the shadows on her face just enough to make the image really good (and it would have opened up her eyes just a bit as well).
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    I also like the last the best - I think it's very good. I also think -2/3 to -1 FEC fill would have softened the shadows on her face just enough to make the image really good (and it would have opened up her eyes just a bit as well).

Thanks Scott.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007

hrm...not to thread jack or anything... but i'm unfamiliar with those terms (-2/3 to -1 FEC). what's FEC?
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    I'm guessing FEC = Flash Exposure Compensation and the number is the flash strength in f stops below optimum exposure for midtones? Canon uses this term. Nikon uses "Flash output level compensation" and I think it means the same thing. I googled it and found this explanation so I guess I'm not guessing anymore:
    http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index3.html

Scroll down about a quarter of the page.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    salazar wrote:
    I'm guessing FEC = Flash Exposure Compensation and the number is the flash strength in f stops below optimum exposure for midtones? Canon uses this term. Nikon uses "Flash output level compensation" and I think it means the same thing. I googled it and found this explanation so I guess I'm not guessing anymore:
    http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index3.html

Scroll down about a quarter of the page.

ah, got it. no wonder why i didn't know. i dislike, very much, flash. :D thanks!
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    com3 wrote:
    ah, got it. no wonder why i didn't know. i dislike, very much, flash. :D thanks!

Flash sure can turn a nice photo into a horrible one. But fill flash used carefully and not overdone can really help out on a bright sunny day. Done right, you can't tell it was used at all unless you can compare identical images with and without.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    salazar wrote:
    Flash sure can turn a nice photo into a horrible one. But fill flash used carefully and not overdone can really help out on a bright sunny day. Done right, you can't tell it was used at all unless you can compare identical images with and without.

i'm quite positive you're right about that, but i'm sucha "purist" (whatever that means) when it comes to that... plus, i don't have flash skills. haha! even if i wanted to, i wouldn't even begin to know how.
  • Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    the last photo is very sweet. A snapshot bordering on art. Good composition and interesting surrounds. I'f be happy with shot like that of my kids any time.
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    I agree, the last one is my favorite. The sun must not be as behind her as I thought it was, because I actually was impressed with how little shadow there was on her face! I thought you must have used a little fill flash to help it out. Shows how much I know! rolleyes1.gif Lol, Nice work!!
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    I'm chiming in on the last on as my favourite, very nice. Definately framing material.

Malte
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    Thank you for the kind comments Ted, Rhuarc and Malte.

Rhuarc, you may be correct in assuming there was fill flash. I was using it that day at -2/3 FEC, if I remember correctly. It probably would have been worse with no fill flash. Then again, maybe my flash did not recycle.