Examples of zoom distance?

DifferentSeedDifferentSeed Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
edited February 13, 2007 in Cameras
Hi folks,

I hope this is the right place for this, if not please forgive me moderators :)

Now... I got a new lens earlier (yaa!) and my husband is trying to understand what the zoom range means, and I can't explain it to him in a terms he understands. I've shown him sample photos but he doesn't seem thrilled and isn't sharing in my bouncy joy (Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX DG IF lens btw:barb)... so, my question is...

Are there any references, charts, photo examples, measurements, etc that (in plain, easy, English) show him what a 100mm range means will do (vs. normal, naked eye?) and a 300, and 450, 600, etc? There must be something out there, but my searches haven't found it yet. :scratch
Make a small loan, Make a big difference. Find out how at http://www.kiva.org

Comments

• ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • DifferentSeedDifferentSeed Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Woo! Thanks so much!!! :)
    Make a small loan, Make a big difference. Find out how at http://www.kiva.org
  • StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    It depends on the camera you are using. but as basic rule in a 35mm (full Frame) camera a 50mm lens is the same as the human eye.

Try keeping both eyes open and see the magnification on the object. So at 100mm the object appears twice as large as it should. The modern DSLR's have a crop factor which will affect the image factor but that is better left to others to explain. There are plenty of threads here on the effect of crop factor try a search.

Hope it helps some

Stan
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Wow, I love that last link with the little flash program. Really handy for us newbies to be able to visualize just how much a certain amount of zoom will help!
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:

are those on a full frame sensor? I'm speaking of the last link...

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    are those on a full frame sensor? I'm speaking of the last link...

- RE

Click the '35mm' button for full frame, and 'digital' for APS-c sensor
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • howardhoward Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    Here's a link to a low tech comparison of the same view at different focal lengths on a 1.6 crop body. At risk of stating the obvious this is not a test of image quality rolleyes1.gifand I think most if not all have not had any PP except for resizing http://www.pbase.com/howards/focal_length_examples
    Hi folks,

I hope this is the right place for this, if not please forgive me moderators :)

Now... I got a new lens earlier (yaa!) and my husband is trying to understand what the zoom range means, and I can't explain it to him in a terms he understands. I've shown him sample photos but he doesn't seem thrilled and isn't sharing in my bouncy joy (Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX DG IF lens btwwings.gif)... so, my question is...

Are there any references, charts, photo examples, measurements, etc that (in plain, easy, English) show him what a 100mm range means will do (vs. normal, naked eye?) and a 300, and 450, 600, etc? There must be something out there, but my searches haven't found it yet. headscratch.gif
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    I think Stan's description is a good rule of thumb. I'd extend it to add a 30mm lens on a 1.6x crop factor camera giving the same field of view as the human eye. As to distance from the subject, that's tricky as most folks don't really have a good perception of distance.

Here are a couple of pics taken with a Bigma at the extremes. I can't give distances either, but I'm sure everyone has a feeling for the size of a zebra. (When I'm bored I'll do some calculations to estimate the distance headscratch.gif)

50mm
    75941974-L.jpg

500mm
    75941986-L.jpg