IR Mode w/ Shutter Remote?

purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
edited February 15, 2007 in Cameras
I recently ordered a Link Delight Remote Control for my Canon 30D. When I was reading the website's FAQ on how to turn the remote on, it says that I have to have my Camera in IR Mode. That would be Infrared, but I thought that Cameras had to be specially customized to have an IR Mode? If not, I wasn't aware my camera had a special IR Mode. I'm also puzzled as to why I need IR Mode to use a Shutter Remote. *confused*

If the answer to this question is painfully obvious, I'm sorry. :scratch
Purified Photography
Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly

Comments

• pahlpahl Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    purified wrote:
    I recently ordered a Link Delight Remote Control for my Canon 30D. When I was reading the website's FAQ on how to turn the remote on, it says that I have to have my Camera in IR Mode. That would be Infrared, but I thought that Cameras had to be specially customized to have an IR Mode? If not, I wasn't aware my camera had a special IR Mode. I'm also puzzled as to why I need IR Mode to use a Shutter Remote. *confused*

If the answer to this question is painfully obvious, I'm sorry. headscratch.gif

IR photography
    IR setting so your camera so it will pick up the IR beam from your new remote. Like a TV remote uses IR.

Two different things.

Just guessing as I know nothing about the 30D
    http://pahl.smugmug.com

Pentax istDL
    50mm-f/1.4
    10-17mm fish-eye
    18-55mm kit lens
    Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    purified wrote:
    I recently ordered a Link Delight Remote Control for my Canon 30D.

The Canon 30D does NOT have an IR remote control capability. You need the wired remote (look in the back of your manual for specific ones that work with it). Certain Canon P&S models, and the Rebel models (I am unsure if all do) such as the 300 D do have remote IR capabilities.

The 30D and 20D do not have built-in IR control-abilities. Hope this helps
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Well, they lied about what cameras the remote worked with. They specifically listed Canon 20D and 30D. I hope they'll refund me!!!
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    purified wrote:
    Well, they lied about what cameras the remote worked with. They specifically listed Canon 20D and 30D. I hope they'll refund me!!!

Just a guess, but it may work in conjunction with a 580 flash?
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
    edited February 9, 2007
    purified wrote:

I use the Canon TC80N3 programmable remote (wired), a bit more expensive than the Canon RS80N3 but I needed the ability to time shots. An IR controller would be more convenient at times, but unless one goes with their EXPENSIVE wireless controller LC-5, or an off brand similar unit, you're just out of luck.
    — Henry —
    edited February 9, 2007
    xris wrote:
    Just a guess, but it may work in conjunction with a 580 flash?

No.
    — Henry —
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    I (still) use a 300D, and it does have a special mode for the IR remote. There's a small receiver "window" on the hand grip which you point the remote at. In order for the remote to be enabled, it has to be put in "self timer / IR remote" mode; the logo next to the button can be seen in the first image on this page at DPReview: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/page6.asp. I can also vouch that the remote does nothing with the 550EX.
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    purified wrote:

If the answer to this question is painfully obvious, I'm sorry. headscratch.gif

I too have ordered one and it should be here this next week. I will let you know how it turns out on a D60. I fellow that uses the screen name Kodachrome on dpreview reports it working fine. Of course, the build quality is not up to the Canon one that costs hundreds of dollars. You might want to see this thread that I participated in http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=21701282

Hope we both have good luck with ours!
    Jane
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 11, 2007
    Kelly,
    which remote, exactly, did you buy? I checked out link delight's ebay store and they sell all the Adidt remote products - I have one, corded, they work perfectly fine.

I see they do make a cordless version, here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Remote-for-Canon-EOS-20D-30D-1D-as-RS-80N3-R7B_W0QQitemZ200077124088QQihZ010QQcategoryZ43479QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

but that uses a little transmitter that has to be plugged into the camera, where the normal wired remote would go. The 30D (lets not confuse 300D and 30D) simply does not have an IR reciever (which is lame, but that's another story), the old 300D does.

FWIW, adidt makes very long corded remotes for the 30D. I have one that is over 10ft long, cost me $15, shipped.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited February 11, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Kelly,
    which remote, exactly, did you buy? I checked out link delight's ebay store and they sell all the Adidt remote products - I have one, corded, they work perfectly fine.

I see they do make a cordless version, here.

but that uses a little transmitter that has to be plugged into the camera, where the normal wired remote would go. The 30D (lets not confuse 300D and 30D) simply does not have an IR reciever (which is lame, but that's another story), the old 300D does.

FWIW, adidt makes very long corded remotes for the 30D. I have one that is over 10ft long, cost me $15, shipped.
    This is the version that I have coming. Although I can no longer find it in their listings at the price I ordered at on Feb. 3 (A US listing for $24.99 with shipping of $10.00). They e-mailed me that it was sent Feb. 5 with it probably taking 7 - 14 days to get here.

The receiver plugs into the camera where any other remote would. Then the transmitter is a seperate piece used to signal the receiver to trigger the camera.

Jane
  • pahlpahl Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Kelly,

I see they do make a cordless version, here:

I just about ordered the pentax version for my camera, but decided to wait until I make my istDL a backup camera. Would love to mount my camera behind the glass of the basketball hoop and use it with a wireless remote.
    http://pahl.smugmug.com

Pentax istDL
    50mm-f/1.4
    10-17mm fish-eye
    18-55mm kit lens
    Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
    edited February 15, 2007
    Jane B. wrote:
    This is the version that I have coming. Although I can no longer find it in their listings at the price I ordered at on Feb. 3 (A US listing for $24.99 with shipping of $10.00). They e-mailed me that it was sent Feb. 5 with it probably taking 7 - 14 days to get here.

The receiver plugs into the camera where any other remote would. Then the transmitter is a seperate piece used to signal the receiver to trigger the camera.

Jane

I think the problem is solved! I agree they have problems with their instructions and the fact that there are none in the package. But, mine arrived today and although it took a bit of experimenting it works fine. As near as I can tell from my unit which I bought for the D60, the only way to use the one with the RS-80N3 type connector is to plug the receiver into the camera, press the button on the receiver (which ONLY turns it on and does NOT function as a corded remote — pressing it again turns it off), then use the remote to fire the camera. It will focus if the lens is in the AF mode. I have not yet measured to see just how far away I can get and still fire it. The shape of the receiver seems to have been designed for it to be used as a corded remote as well; but it doesn't do that unless there is some setting that I have not found. I have e-mailed the seller, Link-Delight, to ask about that.

Hope this helps others such as Kelly.
    Jane