Lenses question

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited February 15, 2007 in Cameras
Yes another which lens should I buy, but don't click off yet, I really would like to hear your opinions.

Here are my thoughts. I am thinking of selling my 24-1054.0L, 28-135 3.5/5.6, and 17-40 4.0L. Also have a 100-300 Tamron Macro I don’t use.

I am thinking of getting a 24-70 2.8L to basically replace the 24-105 4.0L. Should be a little sharper, and faster, hopefully a good choice for small product photography. Yes with a loss of distance. :cry

All I ever use the 17-40 4.0 L for is the 17 to maybe 21mm. So I was thinking I might be able to replace it with a 20 mm prime, non L, or and I am leaning this way, pick up a 24 3.5L TS-E for use in architecture as well as landscape. I think this lens could give me many additional options. Or get both?

At some point my wish list includes the 35 1.4L, and the 135 2.0L, but they don’t seem to fit in right now. Unless of course I hit the lottery.

So all you people who have had, used, sold, re bought, every lens known to man. (I say this with complete and open envy :clap ) what are your thoughts on this?

I will spend more on a really sharp lens rather than save on a lens almost as good, so if there is non Canon glass as good or better then I am interested. Please don’t bring up Zeiss, Leica, etc, my mind and wallet aren’t ready to wrap around that subject. :D

Thanks,

Sam

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 10, 2007
    Sam,

As I am sure you know, I own both the 24-70f2.8 L and the 24-105f4 IS L. There is a significant difference in size and weight, that leads me to carry the 24-105 unless I am shooting indoors in lower light and really need the f2.8. Both are sharp, and work nicely on a full frame camera. I shoot 3 -4 times more with the 24-105 than the 24-70. The 24-70 is a great lens in a studio or at a wedding, but lousy to carry on your shoulder all day long - maybe I just need to spend more time in the gymn.:D

I would not sell the 17-40 - it is a great pice of glass if you shoot wide at all.

What size products are you needing to shoot? Do you have nice macro lens like the 60 mm EFS or the Tamron 90mm??

The 24 TSE is a highly dedicated lens - you may use it frequently or hardly at all, depending on the type of subjects you shoot.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    Vicious cycle, huh? Buy/sell/buy/trade/wonder/sell/buy..regret...rebuy rolleyes1.gif

I can simply confirm that, while heavier than most lenses in that range, the 24-70 is not unbearable. And it is very fast and very sharp. I have to leave it to Pathfinder and others who have both to say which is better. I upgraded from the 28-135, which isn't really in the same class. But I am extremely happy about buying the 24-70.

BTW - how much for the 17-40? :D:D
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 11, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Vicious cycle, huh? Buy/sell/buy/trade/wonder/sell/buy..regret...rebuy rolleyes1.gif

I tend to just hold onto everything I "ever" bought. It saves a lot of effert re-buying later. mwink.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I tend to just hold onto everything I "ever" bought. It saves a lot of effert re-buying later. mwink.gif
    I am starting to learn this....i hated my 10-22 & have longed for it from the first week i sold it. I loved that lens.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    nod.gif I have, ahem, quite a bit of stuff.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:

I can simply confirm that, while heavier than most lenses in that range, the 24-70 is not unbearable. And it is very fast and very sharp. I have to leave it to Pathfinder and others who have both to say which is better. I upgraded from the 28-135, which isn't really in the same class. But I am extremely happy about buying the 24-70.

BTW - how much for the 17-40? :D:D

I concur with the 24-70 assessment. I don't find it all that bad at all. I do carry it around all day (I use the Op/Tech Pro Loop strap--helps a LOT). I don't have any experience with the 24-105, though--my needs are definitely with the 24-70 and it's speed, it's use as a walkaround is incidental.

Of course I'm also silly enough to think a 20D/grip/70-200 2.8IS combo isn't all that bad to drag around all day either. ne_nau.gif
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Another lens to look at is the Tamron 28-75/2.8. It is both less expensive and lighter weight than the Canon 24-70/2.8L and its image quality is very well regarded. I have and like the 24-105/4L. Normally when I need faster than f/4 I go to primes but I am seriously considering supplimenting (rather than replacing) my 24-105 with the Tammy.
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Just for fun, take a peek at Canon's 17/55 f/2.8 EFS IS USM.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=27&page=2&sort=7&perpage=15&stype=

1. Fast,

2. Very sharp

3. Expensive.

Fast becoming my favourite over the 24-105L.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    I am really liking the idea of the 24-70 2.8L, so I will rent one as well as the 24 T-SE for a weekend, and see how they feel.

New concept, make an informed decission. :D

Sam
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    I am really liking the idea of the 24-70 2.8L, so I will rent one as well as the 24 T-SE for a weekend, and see how they feel.

Sam

Laughing.gif But why change now? :D

Careful with that 24-70 rental, you will likely fall in love. I like mine enough that the size & weight just don't matter. thumb.gif
  • seawolf66seawolf66 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    Sam you need to do more home work every lens you list are considered by others as good lens BUT to make a good choice, I suggest you start looking at the MTF charts and good reference for them would be luminios web site: Good luckthumb.gif

Sam wrote:

Sam
    seawolf66-

“the farther back we look the farther forward we see.”—A. Theodore Kachel
    http://www.lauren-macintosh.com