Dolphins Night Basketball

imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
edited February 11, 2007 in Sports
A few from the other night. I think I might be getting better at this. Still pushing to get paid for my efforts but we are still waiting to hear. ANyway, here are a few

128777791-M.jpg

128778206-M.jpg

128778647-M.jpg

Any thoughts?

Have a great night

Joe

Comments

• wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    They are nice shots--but looking at the stands it may be a little tough to collect too much cash on these shots...

Good work though.

Regards

Will
    Regards

Will
    Hi Joe,

color/white balance looks good and it looks like you're getting some decent action. What are you shooting w/? The reason I ask, is it looks like you could stand zoom in (or be closer to) the action. If you have a longer lens, shoot in portrait mode, but in any case, crop to the action. You have waay too much extra. The closer the crop, the more compelling the action usually looks.

I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of demonstrating on one of your shots (let me know if you want me to take it down - it looks more pixelated that what you would see since I was working w/ a copy of your picture). Many people would even crop more...

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    Hey Colleen, thanks for the input. I was experimenting with a new idea for shooting thses.
    I am happy with the way they came out unfortunately the way I was shooting it was difficult to zoom in. I had my 20D with a 24-105 L on a mini tripod under my chair using my remote shutter release. Here is a crop of one of them

128828959-L.jpg

I suppose I could go through all of them and crop out the best parts but before I invest all that time I am trying to convince the school that I am worth putting on the payroll. Perhaps by doing this they may see that I am. Thanks for the input.

And as far as the stands being empty, that's normal but it shouldn't put any strain on their budget. They just spent $85 million to build the sports complex. I'm only asking for chump change in comparison.........

Joe

Frog Lady wrote:
    Hi Joe,

color/white balance looks good and it looks like you're getting some decent action. What are you shooting w/? The reason I ask, is it looks like you could stand zoom in (or be closer to) the action. If you have a longer lens, shoot in portrait mode, but in any case, crop to the action. You have waay too much extra. The closer the crop, the more compelling the action usually looks.

I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of demonstrating on one of your shots (let me know if you want me to take it down - it looks more pixelated that what you would see since I was working w/ a copy of your picture). Many people would even crop more...

C.
  • pahlpahl Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    I think they look great! I wish you the best of luck getting the job with the school and would love to be updated on how it turns out with them.

Please PM me how you do if you don't want to post it hear.
    http://pahl.smugmug.com

Pentax istDL
    50mm-f/1.4
    10-17mm fish-eye
    18-55mm kit lens
    Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    imax wrote:
    Hey Colleen, thanks for the input. I was experimenting with a new idea for shooting thses.
    I am happy with the way they came out unfortunately the way I was shooting it was difficult to zoom in. I had my 20D with a 24-105 L on a mini tripod under my chair using my remote shutter release. Here is a crop of one of them

I suppose I could go through all of them and crop out the best parts but before I invest all that time I am trying to convince the school that I am worth putting on the payroll. Perhaps by doing this they may see that I am. Thanks for the input.

Joe

hi again,

yeah, the cropped version looks much better. And, it is always better to put your best foot forwards. IMHO, your initial shots look like snap shots; the cropped down version is what they might be interested in. If you are truly interested in having the school hire you, show them your best - cropped, post-processed ready to print pictures, indicating that they might only be better if you get floor access. If you don't invest the time and energy now, you won't have to worry about putting time and energy in later, b/c you probably won't be on the payroll...

just my $0.02. Good luck,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • GrampsGramps Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    I am looking into a lens for basketball. Mind if I ask what lens you used and did you use any kind of flash?

The cropped pictures look outstanding!