Options

The Scorekeeper

wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
edited February 11, 2007 in People
Tonight was my daughter's basketball game. Just before the game, the scorekeeper was killing off a bit time before tip-off. Just thought I'd share it with you all...

128784409-M-1.jpg

Regards

Will
Regards

Will

Comments

• Options
    hysonhyson Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    Bone-thug.

Hehe, j/k.

Did the florescent lights make his pants that purplish or are they really that color?
    Pentax *ist DL | Sony Cybershot DSC-S60
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    wmstumme wrote:
    Tonight was my daughter's basketball game. Just before the game, the scorekeeper was killing off a bit time before tip-off. Just thought I'd share it with you all...

Regards

Will

A Cool Dude hu thumb.gif well he looks like he's having fun :D ... Skippy
    Nice shot.
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    hyson wrote:
    Bone-thug.

Hehe, j/k.

Did the florescent lights make his pants that purplish or are they really that color?

Not sure about the color. The lighting in the gym is terrible. It is extremely yellow--really visible to the eye, not to mention a camera. (Here is a thread from the sports forum that I started about my problems with this lighting: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=50897) Well, it gave me the opportunity to learn about custom white balance, etc.

I thought I was just starting to get the hang of it until this weekend. The girls played at 4:30 pm--and there are some windows up about 20 feet which reach to the ceiling on one of the gym walls. Unlike many of the previous weeks when the sun was down, this week there was some light from these windows. Not brights streams, but it was still coming in. So, instead of getting a "pure" yellow light, I was getting a combination of yellow light in most areas of the gym, but with certain patches which had a natural light "glow" in them. The scorekeeper wandered into one of the "glow" areas. So the picture is a little bluer than some of the others.

I shot using a custom white balance taken off a white/gray card from one part of the gym--but since the light varied everywhere in the gym, and I wasn't setting up each shot like you might do with a portrait--it wasn't perfect for the spot where the scorekeeper was. I didn't mess around with the color too much actually in post processing. I really just cropped, sharpened, and ran through NeatImage (because I Shot this at ISO 800--no flash).

He's usually there each week. We've got two more weeks of the season--I hope to catch something interesting in the future weeks...

Thanks for looking

Regards

Will
    Regards

Will
    edited February 11, 2007
    What a super cool dude ;)!
    Neat shot and the pants look blue to me :)
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    as long as there's a ref in the shot, you'll always know where white and black should be :D
  • Options
    pahlpahl Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    Yeah, thats a cool shot and the WB looks so much better then your other gym photo.

I got my camera (first DSLR) just before the basketball season. Taking a look at my site you may notice how my first games are really yellow, some even blue.

Then I found sites like this and started using custom WB. I was really happy with how things were looking. Now I compare my custom WB shots to other BB photos on here posted by the pro's and I am unhappy with mine agian, lol..

Now I just started using RAW as I too was using jpg for the small file size and it was so easy to just delete out the really bad ones and download the jpg files.

I found a way with my pentax software to shoot RAW and pull the jpg files off of them to so I have both RAW and jpg, best of both worlds. :)

Just the little bit I have been using RAW I can see how you have so much more to work with. Not just WB, but cropping and sharpening too.

My plan now is to get more storage space and shoot nothing but RAW.

Is is spring yet?
    http://pahl.smugmug.com

Pentax istDL
    50mm-f/1.4
    10-17mm fish-eye
    18-55mm kit lens
    Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 11, 2007
    neat-

I think you done good considering the lighting you get in those gyms-