What are RSS feeds?

KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited February 11, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I keep seeing these links on sites but am not clear what they are. One site said you need to download a RSS feed reader. ???

Comments

• BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 11, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:
    I keep seeing these links on sites but am not clear what they are. One site said you need to download a RSS feed reader. ???

Hi :)

I think our help page will answer your question better than I could:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/rss-atom-feeds

If you have questions still, let us know.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • ScalaScala Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:

One possibility is to add a feed of someone's recent photos to your Google or Windows Live start page. That way you'll see if they have posted new photos when you open your browser. Of course you'd add your email and relevant news feeds to the start page as well :)
    My smugmug site: www.majakorpi.net
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:
    Put this in your Firefox browser:

http://www.kvtphotography.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=popularNickname&Data=KVPhoto&format=rss200

thumb.gif
  • KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    Andy, I tried that but I am not sure of what i am looking at.
    This is what I get
    This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
    with the page info below.

What is an RSS used for?

(I know it is probably a novice questions but I have not encountered them before smugmug)
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:
    Andy, I tried that but I am not sure of what i am looking at.
    This is what I get
    This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
    with the page info below.

What is an RSS used for?

(I know it is probably a novice questions but I have not encountered them before smugmug)
    Read the link Barb gave you. Explore the Firefox help section, in your browser, on Feeds. Feeds are a way for people to keep up on your stuff! To be FOUND! They are so cool :)

Oh and don't browser with AOL's browser... :nono bleh that's not the best :) Use FF2, I see you recently signed on with that one...
  • KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Read the link Barb gave you. Explore the Firefox help section, in your browser, on Feeds. Feeds are a way for people to keep up on your stuff! To be FOUND! They are so cool :)

Oh and don't browser with AOL's browser... :nono bleh that's not the best :) Use FF2, I see you recently signed on with that one...

Duh, I completely missed Barbs post! Sorry. I don't use AOL for browsing anymore anyway. Mostly Firefox.