Bulk Conversion to PSD

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited February 12, 2007 in Finishing School
I am a PC user (Windows XP for the moment) in the process of switching from Corel PhotoPaint 12 to PhotoShop and am looking for a reliable program that will allow me to do bulk conversions of my Corel lossless format files (CPT) to PSD. Although I have all of my original digital files (in recent years in RAW), many of my photos have been worked up for printing and were saved as CPTs. (Boy do I wish I had had the storage space to save everything in TIFF!)

I'd like to continue to have access to the files once I abandon PP, which will probably happen when I buy a new computer this spring. I can do it in PP one at a time but that is impractical at best. And of course, PhotoShop does not read CPT files.

Has anyone done this? Does anyone have experience with AB Picture Converter 3.01? Any other possible software solutions?

Thanks!

Virginia

Email

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    One idea
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I am a PC user (Windows XP for the moment) in the process of switching from Corel PhotoPaint 12 to PhotoShop and am looking for a reliable program that will allow me to do bulk conversions of my Corel lossless format files (CPT) to PSD. Although I have all of my original digital files (in recent years in RAW), many of my photos have been worked up for printing and were saved as CPTs. (Boy do I wish I had had the storage space to save everything in TIFF!)

I'd like to continue to have access to the files once I abandon PP, which will probably happen when I buy a new computer this spring. I can do it in PP one at a time but that is impractical at best. And of course, PhotoShop does not read CPT files.

Has anyone done this? Does anyone have experience with AB Picture Converter 3.01? Any other possible software solutions?

Thanks!

Virginia

A google turned up this: Batch conversion to TIFF in photopaint: http://graphicssoft.about.com/library/extra/blcpp_batch.htm
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    Thank you, John. bowdown.gifI feel stupid that I didn't think to make the same search, but am grateful that you did!! I'll give it a try tomorrow, though I don't see why it won't work, at least as long as I have PP on my computer.

I still need a dedicated third party solution, though, because I don't want to install PP when I move to a new computer and there is no way given travel plans and other committments, that even with batch processing, that I am going to be able to get all of my files converted over the next month or two. Having both PP and PS on my computer results in some pesky computer problems, which I would like to leave behind. :D Of course, third party software can bring its own grief. rolleyes1.gif

Virginia

Email
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited February 12, 2007
    Hi Virginia,

You might want to check out XnView. I have no way of trying .cpt files, but according to the program specs, it can read .cpt and write .psd. It's freeware, BTW. I use it all the time for simple utility tasks (like renaming a large batch of files) as it is much faster than Adobe Bridge.

Good luck.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Hi Virginia,

You might want to check out XnView. I have no way of trying .cpt files, but according to the program specs, it can read .cpt and write .psd. It's freeware, BTW. I use it all the time for simple utility tasks (like renaming a large batch of files) as it is much faster than Adobe Bridge.

Good luck.

Thanks, Richard!! That sounds like just what I need in my arsenal. I will look into it.

Virginia

Email