Options

Improvisational studio!

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited February 12, 2007 in People
Been playing around with the idea of having a simple studio setup at home, and even though what I've got is pretty jury-rigged, it was a lot of fun. I have limited experience with all things light-related so this was a big project of mine. :D

129010545-L.jpg

129010579-L.jpg

129010596-L.jpg

129010677-M.jpg

129010700-L.jpg

Skin tones OK? Backdrop too distracting? I couldn't stop the lens down enough to get it blurred, or back up further because of the length of the room. But still opinions/advice/constructive criticism is welcome!

Comments

• Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    hey schmoo - looks like you had fun on this shoot! I really like some of the creative poses. Nice job!

I can't comment on the skin tones, but the backdrop is definately noticable (in a not so good way) particularly in the last shot (and to some degree, but not as bad, on the 2nd and 3rd shots. I wonder if you could blur it in PS ne_nau.gif

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    shots look good to me, lighting looks good. Background is an easy fix, with some levels correction to make it pure white and some masking.
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 11, 2007
    love the color comp exposure pose of the first one-

the mask thing?-

well, whatever-

the backdrop in the last one, is, well----

cool
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    Looks like you had fun! I particularly like #3 and #1, in that order. Like others have said, you can polish up the backgrounds. Keep it up!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    Nice shots! Really like the lighting and tones. What type of jury rigged setupa re you using? I'm looking to set up a jury rigged studio sometime and am wondering what you use.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    Thanks! As for props (like the mask) I had no ideas in mind as this was pretty much just two good friends volunteering to help me out while I figured out the basics of studio setups and lighting. They were paid in bagels and OJ. One of them had the mask in her bag from a masquerade event the night before. As you can see wardrobe wasn't even considered as she's in a t-shirt! :D

My setup consisted of lots of soft natural light from two big windows behind me (facing south, so indirect), a backdrop stand that my husband constructed for me that worked very well, a dropcloth and a 580EX flash that I bounced off the walls to get the shadows. That's it. I wouldn't mind having real lamps perhaps, but currently I don't have any plans to do enough studio work to really justify it.

Oh and I was very inspired by gmonkeh's recent beautifully minimalized studio work. ;)

As for cleaning up the backdrop... are we talking about Andy's handy-dandy white background tutorial? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    Oh and I was very inspired by gmonkeh's recent beautifully minimalized studio work. ;)

As for cleaning up the backdrop... are we talking about Andy's handy-dandy white background tutorial? ne_nau.gif

Well thank you, that's really nice to hear :) Yeah Andy's tute is perfect. But first you have to clone out the creases and other stuff from the background. Make sure you use a soft low opacity (around 25%) clone brush. And just do a few passes. Using low opacity allows for a more subtle clone job.

Lex
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers