Options

Vandals destroyed my “studio” (+ introduction)

GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,766 Major grins
edited January 19, 2005 in Wildlife
First, I want to introduce myself since this is my first post here. My name’s Peter and I live in Belgium, not far from Antwerp, I try to keep myself busy with digital photography when I have the time. Sometimes I don’t take any pictures for weeks. I mainly try to combine it with one of my other hobbies: riding my motorcycle. (I’m also a member on Baldy’s other forum) For me, digital photography is more for documenting. Let’s say that I have no artistic ambition. Although, from time to time I try to take a more artistic picture which usually turns out to be somewhat disappointing (compared to some other pictures I’ve seen on this and other forums), but I keep trying. Also, I try using Photoshop as less as possible, but the 300D produces rather “soft” pictures, so some corrections on contrast and/or sharpness are usually necessary.

My equipment: a Sony MVC FD-97 which I still use from time to time. And since one year the Canon EOS 300D (or Digital Rebel) with the 18-55 kit lense, Sigma 28-300 zoom (not so happy about it), and since two months the Sigma 50-500 zoom (very happy about it). I still have two older Canon lenses from my old EOS 1000 analog camera, which work fine on the 300D, but I haven’t used them yet.

Now about the pictures:
The location where I take these is less than 500 yards from my house. When I go for a walk along the river, I always pass there and try to take almost the same picture at different times of the year.

This one was taken early in the morning with the sun slightly hidden behind some clouds:

9630065-L.jpg

Fog:

1335446-L.jpg

Sunshine:

2633718-L.jpg

Sunset (this was actually the first picture I took there)

1170526-L.jpg

When I passed there a few weeks ago, this had happened to the boat:

10985525-M.jpg

10985528-M.jpg

This boat used to be property of a former director of one of the small shipyards nearby. Since the complete yard had been dismantled, the boat just lay here to rust. And now some vandals demolished it completely.

I already read a lot of interesting things here on this forum, and hope to find some more tips and tricks to improve my pictures.

Comments

• Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    Welcome aboard GSPeP!
    It looks like you live in a beautiful area!
    Sorry about your 'studio'!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    wave.gif Hiya peter, welcome to dgrin! Nice piccies, I really look forward to more of your posts from Belgium. I lived in Brussels for 6 years when I was a child, great city. I like the fog shot. Shame the kids smashed up the boat.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    13352118-Ti.gif welcome to dgrin, thanks for sharing. i like the progression you show of your studio :D
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,766 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    Thanks everyone.

It's indeed a real shame that they smashed up the boat. :cry I had made it some kind of project for myself to take that picture during the different seasons in continous changing conditions. I only got to 4 pictures. A real shame.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    Hi peter
    wave.gif

Those are very nice shots. Love the sunset pic. Welcome.

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    GSPeP wrote:
    First, I want to introduce myself since this is my first post here. My name’s Peter and I live in Belgium, not far from Antwerp, I try to keep myself busy with digital photography when I have the time. Sometimes I don’t take any pictures for weeks. I mainly try to combine it with one of my other hobbies: riding my motorcycle. (I’m also a member on Baldy’s other forum) For me, digital photography is more for documenting. Let’s say that I have no artistic ambition. Although, from time to time I try to take a more artistic picture which usually turns out to be somewhat disappointing (compared to some other pictures I’ve seen on this and other forums), but I keep trying. Also, I try using Photoshop as less as possible, but the 300D produces rather “soft” pictures, so some corrections on contrast and/or sharpness are usually necessary.

My equipment: a Sony MVC FD-97 which I still use from time to time. And since one year the Canon EOS 300D (or Digital Rebel) with the 18-55 kit lense, Sigma 28-300 zoom (not so happy about it), and since two months the Sigma 50-500 zoom (very happy about it). I still have two older Canon lenses from my old EOS 1000 analog camera, which work fine on the 300D, but I haven’t used them yet.

Now about the pictures:
    The location where I take these is less than 500 yards from my house. When I go for a walk along the river, I always pass there and try to take almost the same picture at different times of the year.

This one was taken early in the morning with the sun slightly hidden behind some clouds:

Fog:

Sunshine:

Sunset (this was actually the first picture I took there)

When I passed there a few weeks ago, this had happened to the boat:

This boat used to be property of a former director of one of the small shipyards nearby. Since the complete yard had been dismantled, the boat just lay here to rust. And now some vandals demolished it completely.

I already read a lot of interesting things here on this forum, and hope to find some more tips and tricks to improve my pictures.
    Hi Peterwave.gif welcome to dgrin!! yep lots to learn here.. and a nice bunch of people.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    Hi, Peter,

I like all the photos, but I love the fog........always love fog, but that is a very good photo.

I like the "studio" idea, too. Love old rotting boats. Some do gooders hate them.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.