Houston SX

j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
edited February 14, 2007 in Sports
I learned something at the Houston SX this weekend. 200mm is not long enough! Also.. even though the histogram was great... the stinky small lcd on the digirebxt doesn't show how blurry things are, even when zoomed in.
Shutter speeds were decent at 400 or so at F2.8, but still got plenty of blurry shots. Shoulda bumped it up to ISO 800 or 1600 I guess.

They blocked off the front 10 rows just to put up sponsor banners stinkied.

They also forgot to turn on one bank of lights until the end of the 1st practice session too, so that made it more difficult.

Anyways...there were quite a few amatuer photogs on the sidelines during practice and I'm sure some were dgrinners!

Post up what you got! Mine aren't so good. I sat in section 534 so I was far away during race time and only got practice pix to look half way decent. I've got more to look at of the more well known riders, but my main focus was on 51, 630, 14, 22, and 7. I'll post any that's fair.

Racing action was AWESOME and I woulda given anything to be on the floor to shoot the action, especially the passes between Poto and J-Law. Poto's heat and main were classics!! The kid's an animal!

Hot laps, taken from up high.

129042934-M.jpg

Intrigued by the boot....his left leg is shorter than the other, thus the boot was made this way for him.

128994282-M.jpg

Just a regular practice shot.

129042905-M.jpg

Comments

• motophotomotophoto Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 12, 2007
    Got one at 3 Palms the day after Houston supercross
  • GkasinGkasin Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    motophoto wrote:
    Got one at 3 Palms the day after Houston supercross

Nice pics. I shot a ton there and was running into some issues myself. I was running ISO 1000 and 800 shutter speed and I still got a bunch of soft images. Anybody know if bumping IS will affect it that much? That was my first time shooting a supercross under the lights. I have about 50 that I really like though. I have to finish editing and I will get some up here for some critiquing.

Agree, the racing was awesome!!!!! And shooting practice was a blast!!!!

Gk
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    Agreed racing was great. I did not try for shots from the stands this year because of the lighting from last year was not all that great. I did notice the gray lens brigrade on the floor though. My fisrt thought was that being on the floor did not seem to be an advantage by the track lay out and I only saw them on the floor and not in the track like you would think. As i paid $51.00 for a not so great seat I was thinking if the photogs on the floor might have to pay to be there too.
    xtnomad :wink
  • j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Here's a few more. After looking at what vitalmx posted, I'm happy with mine. :D

129347235-M.jpg

129344336-M.jpg

129353350-M.jpg

SLIDESHOW of 2007 Houston SX: http://motoximages.smugmug.com/photos/sspopup.mg?AlbumID=2465689
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    j-bo wrote:

I enjoyed the slide show...nothing to be ashamed of there! The red x's on the other hand have been done way too many times, no originallity there...rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Oops... get share photo's and allow external links mixed up. Sorry bout that, you can see em now?

Thanks! Btw... I think one of my local photo's is going into Cyclenews this issue or next and is in the spotlight feature. It wasn't my best photo I sent, but that's what they chose.

If I only could write up the story to go with it.
  • GkasinGkasin Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Here are some of my shots. Shooting ISO 1000 and shutter speed 800 at 2.8 and things are a little dark. Still need to do post processing. Definately need a 400mm lens for the next one as I could only shoot one lane of the race close.

129702786-L.jpg
    129704071-L.jpg
    129704415-L.jpg
    129704522-L.jpg
    129704509-L.jpg

j-bo wrote:
    Oops... get share photo's and allow external links mixed up. Sorry bout that, you can see em now?

Thanks! Btw... I think one of my local photo's is going into Cyclenews this issue or next and is in the spotlight feature. It wasn't my best photo I sent, but that's what they chose.

If I only could write up the story to go with it.