Adobe Photoshop RAW Help

R1200mikeR1200mike Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited February 15, 2007 in Finishing School
Ok First My name is Mike I work for the U.S Govt. I get to travel quite a bit and 2 years ago I bought a Digital camera(I Miss my Nikon Film Camera) I have enjoyed photography for many years, actually quite good at it:wink so I have been told. Well I bought Photoshop 4.0 I have taken quite alot of RAW +JPEG pictures and everyone of them except the JPEG have a Broken picture frame where the picture is supposesd to be. I tried calling ADOBE But After 30 min. on the phone waiting I gave up:dunno. So I sent them ALOT of Emails No Reply. I have downloaded from there site 3.3, 3.4 Raw Plug-ins. Nothing !!!!! I went to Italy last year and I have 300 + pics in RAW +JPEG and the jpeg are Ok But I want to use RAW Pleas tell me Photoshop 4.0 supports RAW. I will post some Pics soon I cant post from my Work Computer. Thanks to all that help, Mike:thumb

Comments

• RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    Hmm, unfortunatley I don't ebelieve that anything older than Photoshop 7 supports the Adobe Camera Raw plugin. What about the software you received with your camera? It should have came with a RAW converter that you can use to manipulate the RAW image, and then export or convert it into a jpeg or tiff file. What type of camera do you have?

Oh, and welcome to dgrin!! If you have any questions always feel freet oa sk, don't worry there are far more knowledgable people here than myself, I just wanted to make sure you felt welcome!! :D
  • R1200mikeR1200mike Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    Camera Type
    I have a Sony F828 (wife stole it) I have a D200
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 12, 2007
    Hey Mike,
    We'll be happy to help, but you need to slow down a bit and give us some more details:

1. what camera are you using? Different cameras have different RAW file types... Canon: .CRW, .CR2; Nikon: .NEF; etc...

2. Photoshop 4.0? Surely you mean Photoshop Elements 4.0, correct? The newest version of Elements is 5.0 and Photoshop proper is up to version 9.0 - so either way, you don't have the latest from them (which is OK, just trying to establish what you have).

3. Where are you seeing this "broken picture frame"? I'm actually not familiar with Elements at all, so I'll have some issues helping you - does Elements have an image browser feature like PS?

we'll get you squared away, don't worry thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    2. Photoshop 4.0? Surely you mean Photoshop Elements 4.0, correct? The newest version of Elements is 5.0 and Photoshop proper is up to version 9.0 - so either way, you don't have the latest from them (which is OK, just trying to establish what you have).
    Lol, I didn't even think aboiut it that he may be talking about Elements in stead of straight Photoshop!! See what I mean about others here being much more knowledgable than myself?!? mwink.gif

I'll let you take it from here DocterIT, after all you are the doctor! :D
    edited February 12, 2007
    Photoshop help
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hey Mike,
    We'll be happy to help, but you need to slow down a bit and give us some more details:

1. what camera are you using? Different cameras have different RAW file types... Canon: .CRW, .CR2; Nikon: .NEF; etc...

3. Where are you seeing this "broken picture frame"? I'm actually not familiar with Elements at all, so I'll have some issues helping you - does Elements have an image browser feature like PS?

we'll get you squared away, don't worry thumb.gif

1) I am using a D200

2) Yes you are correct.

3) When I download the group of pictures and name them, the computer downloads them from the card reader and the RAW is "Broken"
    edited February 12, 2007
    OK, Elements 4.0 definitely works with this type of file, so you're good there. And you say you have already updated the ACR to 3.3? *3.4 is for Elements 5, and therefore, may be giving you trouble.

So just to be sure, you've done everything on this page:
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3267

including follow the instructions carefully? there is some manual file manipulation required to make this plugin work correctly. I'll assume you've done this, but you never know.
    Erik

edited February 12, 2007
    RAW Help
    DoctorIt wrote:
    OK, Elements 4.0 definitely works with this type of file, so you're good there. And you say you have already updated the ACR to 3.3? *3.4 is for Elements 5, and therefore, may be giving you trouble.

So just to be sure, you've done everything on this page:
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3267

including follow the instructions carefully? there is some manual file manipulation required to make this plugin work correctly. I'll assume you've done this, but you never know.

I believe I did that a few weeks/months ago ?? I will look when I get home. Thanks, Mike
    edited February 12, 2007
    R1200mike wrote:
    I believe I did that a few weeks/months ago ?? I will look when I get home. Thanks, Mike
    Let us know. If you have followed the update in the link, there's no reason I can see that it shouldn't work ne_nau.gif
    Erik

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    Sure sounds like you don't have the right plug-in for your particular raw files, as Doc suggests.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited February 12, 2007
    Still not working Camera RAW
    I looked where I downloaded the File 3.3 form Adobe. I followed directions Exactly and the Pics (RAW) still come out as Damaged.
    edited February 12, 2007
    R1200mike wrote:
    I looked where I downloaded the File 3.3 form Adobe. I followed directions Exactly and the Pics (RAW) still come out as Damaged.
    Hmm. I can offer to look at one for you, make sure the files aren't goofy.

email one to me (just click on my name and pick the "email option")
    Erik

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    To check your camera raw install
    R1200mike wrote:

To verify that the camera raw plug-in is installed properly, do a search of the "program files" hieararchy for the file pattern "*raw.8bi". You should find one and only one occurrence of the file "Camera Raw.8bi". If you find more than one instance of this file, then you must determine which one is in the proper location and delete the others. Then, you must make sure the one remaining file is the newest version. If there is more than one version, Photoshop may be finding the wrong version first and thus end up loading the wrong version.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    I agree with the Adobe solutions and can verify that Elements 3 works with Canon raw files. Getting the corrent version installed and the wrong ones deleted is the best answer here.

For a second solution:

There is also a Microsoft raw converter that is available for free on their site.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
    edited February 13, 2007
    Mike, have you tried Nikon Capture? It actually does a very good job with RAW files (worlds better than anything that came with my Canon, btw). There's no reason Adobe shouldn't work at this point, as far we all can tell, but if you just need something to work, give Capture a try, it should have come in the box with your D200.
    Erik

edited February 14, 2007
    Raw D200
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Mike, have you tried Nikon Capture? It actually does a very good job with RAW files (worlds better than anything that came with my Canon, btw). There's no reason Adobe shouldn't work at this point, as far we all can tell, but if you just need something to work, give Capture a try, it should have come in the box with your D200.

The software that was supplied with my camera will not work with RAW It is extra software you have to buy. Where can I purchase the software? R/ Mike
    edited February 14, 2007
    R1200mike wrote:
    The software that was supplied with my camera will not work with RAW It is extra software you have to buy. Where can I purchase the software? R/ Mike
    They don't give you Capture, at least a basic version with Nikon's anymore!?!

You've given up on Elements? Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling all of Elements? If you own it, and have all the CD's this should be no problem. It should work, something is wrong with your system, not Adobe.
    Erik

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    R1200mike: even though you have Adobe, it may not fix your problem.

If you look at your photos in Adode Elements, the RAW thumbnails should show. BUT, and here I think is the confusion, if you look at the thumbnails in Windows (Explorer or IE or a simple Folder view), the RAW thumbnails will indeed NOT show. This is because Windows only knows how to show JPGs, not RAW.

However, MS does have a fix: If you download and install this MS app:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/raw.mspx

then you will see the RAW thumbnails as well as the JPGs

If you are viewing in Adobe Elements, and can not see the RAW thumbnails, I encourage you to reinstall Elements, and update the ACR within as well, as something is wrong with Adobe.
    edited February 15, 2007
    Uninstall ?
    cmason wrote:
    R1200mike: even though you have Adobe, it may not fix your problem.

If you look at your photos in Adode Elements, the RAW thumbnails should show. BUT, and here I think is the confusion, if you look at the thumbnails in Windows (Explorer or IE or a simple Folder view), the RAW thumbnails will indeed NOT show. This is because Windows only knows how to show JPGs, not RAW.

However, MS does have a fix: If you download and install this MS app:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/raw.mspx

then you will see the RAW thumbnails as well as the JPGs

If you are viewing in Adobe Elements, and can not see the RAW thumbnails, I encourage you to reinstall Elements, and update the ACR within as well, as something is wrong with Adobe.

If I uninstall Will it delete ALL of my pictures ? I have over 3000 Mike
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    R1200mike wrote:
    If I uninstall Will it delete ALL of my pictures ? I have over 3000 Mike
    Adobe? No will not affect your photos...still if you can back them up to either a CD or another harddrive, you can rest easier.