Did you know? Photo Info and Adobe Bridge

Jonathan R. WalcherJonathan R. Walcher Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited February 12, 2007 in Finishing School
I became a father on Friday of last week and have been forced to reevaluate my workflow as I have a ton of pictures that of course everyone in the family wants to see right this second. Here are two things that I discovered in the process:

Microsoft PhotoInfo

If for some silly reason your date/time gets set wrong on the camera (don't ask) Microsoft has just released a free tool that allows you to edit the exif time and much more from within the explorer window. It can be found here.
A word of caution though. I don't know if it’s a bug or not but if you do a batch date change, of the day, the time will get changed on every image to the first one of the group. I ended up opening the images as a group, and applying the date change to each image by using the small forward/back buttons on the right then hitting the apply button at the end. Anyway, this tool is now in my workflow tool box.

Adobe Bridge - The "Find" Function

I've been trying to figure out a way to better manage how I upload random images. There are times when I might have an album of say 100 images but I only want 25 of those uploaded. Marking and uploading those images in the past has meant selecting each image (ctrl+click) and then dragging the group to the smugmug uploader. This is cumbersome and prone to error. Also, being a bit obsessive, I wanted to be able to easily track which images that I've uploaded for future reference. Both of these issues are resolved with Adobe Bridge. The process works like this:
  1. Open the album and mark each image with a label (star or color) that you want to upload.
  2. Then go Edit>Find and set the criteria to match the label that you applied (e.g. Rating is equal to *).
  3. Here is the great part : Bridge opens all of your labeled images in a separate window. From here, all you have to do is select all images and drag them to the Smugmug uploader. :barb
A nice plus to this process is that Bridge, unlike Canon's DPP or Picassa, actually uses the EXIF rating so when you move or backup the image the rating sticks with the image not in the program cache. I tested this using the Msft's PhotoInfo tool; set the star in bridge and sure enough it showed up in photo info.

I'm a relative newbie so these were great finds to me. I hope they are helpful to you as well!

Jonathan R. Walcher
Focusing on Event, Portrait, and Humanitarian Work....
www.jonathanwphotography.com

Comments