Options

Low-key lighting for video. (How'd I do?)

TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
edited February 14, 2007 in People
This thread could be titled "how dgrin.com is helping me with my day job." Had to do an interview setup last friday in a fairly minimalist setting, so I decideds to go for a low key lighting setup. How did I do? Any crits greatly appreciated.

cliffb.jpg

(edit: this probably best belongs under technique, not people. If any mods agree, please move)
http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L

Comments

• Options
    OneWayMuleOneWayMule Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    TylerW wrote:
    This thread could be titled "how dgrin.com is helping me with my day job." Had to do an interview setup last friday in a fairly minimalist setting, so I decideds to go for a low key lighting setup. How did I do? Any crits greatly appreciated.

cliffb.jpg

(edit: this probably best belongs under technique, not people. If any mods agree, please move)

Its pretty good for dramatic lighting assuming the topic was suited for it.
    But maybe diffusing the one hitting his face would have been better.

A depth to the scene with a background light would have been cool.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    I think your light needs to come around I bit more to the front so you get more light in his right eye. Some diffusion on the light would help too. Generally I think video need to be a bit more generous on the light (compared to stills) because it should look good as people move around.
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    I think a touch more contrast would help, since the background isn't quite black and makes the photo look a little dull because of it. Try adjusting so the background is pure black and see how you like the change. thumb.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Nevermind the lighting, that's CliffyB right?! :D

Malte
  • Options
    CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Perhaps a reflector or a small muted light would brighten the right side of his face a bit. It just seems a little dark to me.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com