Options

first flower attempt

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited February 17, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
hmmm flowers.. what are they, all I see is snow snow snow.. shot this with my 300mm lens.. no clue what I'm doing but I'll keep trying.:dunno

Comments

• Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    hmmm flowers.. what are they, all I see is snow snow snow.. shot this with my 300mm lens.. no clue what I'm doing but I'll keep trying.ne_nau.gif
    and this one
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2004
    lynn, you have excellent lighting. The framing's a little off. You can always shoot slightly wide, then crop the image later. Better to shoot slightly loose, and give yourself options, than shoot tight and not have any choices. Same deal as the barn shots. Beautiful color and light, tho. 1drink.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    lynn, you have excellent lighting. The framing's a little off. You can always shoot slightly wide, then crop the image later. Better to shoot slightly loose, and give yourself options, than shoot tight and not have any cxhoices. Same deal as the barn shots. Beautiful color and light, tho. 1drink.gif
    thanks sid.. It was just the light coming in from outside thru the window. Found it hard to get it in the focus I wanted with 300mm lens.... most of them were blurred. The was another one which I cropped rather severely.. (need practice)
    friday.gif
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    I'm guerssing (since I don't have any experience with a 300 lens) that it has an extremely narrow depth of field if you have it opened up. Might be like shooting a macro? ne_nau.gif The color and vibrancy of your shots is wonderful. If you have an uncropped image, maybe you can post that? You know what will happen next. :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    Check out some of the composition tips in this thread. The tips apply not just to shooting, but also to cropping. They really help.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I'm guerssing (since I don't have any experience with a 300 lens) that it has an extremely narrow depth of field if you have it opened up. Might be like shooting a macro? ne_nau.gif The color and vibrancy of your shots is wonderful. If you have an uncropped image, maybe you can post that? You know what will happen next. :D
    I'm being kidnapped to go for a walk in the "real world" so I must fly. Will do as you say later and you can crop away :)
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 17, 2004
    which 300mm lens are you using. I notice a bit of lack in the sharpness department, so I'm guessing you probably have the basic EF 75-300? I've noticed fuzziness at the long end of that one.Nothing a little photoshop can't fix.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    which 300mm lens are you using. I notice a bit of lack in the sharpness department, so I'm guessing you probably have the basic EF 75-300? I've noticed fuzziness at the long end of that one.Nothing a little photoshop can't fix.
    Yeah, it is exactly that. I'm not having much luck with it so far.. I'm hoping it's just inexperience. I'm sure John Shaw would make it work....iloveyou.gif John Shaw is my hero this week. By the way... how do you fix your "fuzziness" I use the Luminous Landscape's tutorial I think it was.. choose Lab Color mode, channels, choose lightness and then unsharp mask?
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    Hi Sid, betcha can't do anything with this....rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 17, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Yeah, it is exactly that. I'm not having much luck with it so far.. I'm hoping it's just inexperience. I'm sure John Shaw would make it work....iloveyou.gif John Shaw is my hero this week. By the way... how do you fix your "fuzziness" I use the Luminous Landscape's tutorial I think it was.. choose Lab Color mode, channels, choose lightness and then unsharp mask?
    I'll say this, John Shaw is great, but keep in mind:

he has never used anything but slide film,
    has probably never used AF,
    always uses a huge ass Gitzo tripod
    and so on...

As for the sharpness, I'm not sure I'm familiar with that tutorial. I just use the Unsharp mask in photoshop. Usually crank it up to at least 150, about 1.2 pixels and a low threshold. Fun with sliders!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    lynnma wrote:

We'll just see about that!
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    Or this... mwink.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Can I play?
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited February 17, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    hmmm flowers.. what are they, all I see is snow snow snow.. shot this with my 300mm lens.. no clue what I'm doing but I'll keep trying.ne_nau.gif
    The first flower is beautiful. It shows depth of field and the water droplets
    add interest as well.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Can I play?
    rolleyes1.gif You guys! ...

nice crops.