Butterfly Pavillion (7 shots)

CharlaCharla Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
edited February 16, 2007 in Holy Macro
My boys and I headed up to the Butterfly Pavillion yesterday so that I could do a little shooting. Luckily they are old enough now that I don't have to keep an eagle eye on 'em and I kind of let them do their thing so I could do mine :D

After about an hour my little one says "Mooooom can we go now????" I said to him "Can't we stay a little longer???" I promised him we'd stop for Happy Meals if we stayed so we had a deal!

All shot w/ KM5D & Tokina 100mm Macro in manual focus, external flash diffused with a couple layers of a white sheet. I'm having a heck of a time getting my autofocus to lock on the eyes of anything so I pretty much gave up on it.

C&C welcome and much appreciated. :D

PICT0421_edited-1.jpg

PICT0413_edited-1.jpg

PICT0387_edited-1.jpg

PICT0350_edited-1.jpg

PICT0379_edited-1.jpg

PICT0357_edited-1.jpg

PICT0355_edited-1.jpg

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    I like 1,2,4 and the last one. Great shots, beautiful butterflies!!thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Wonderful series- beautiful butterflies extremely well captured. From a composition POV prefer 1,2,4&5
    Brian v.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Charla wrote:
    My boys and I headed up to the Butterfly Pavillion yesterday so that I could do a little shooting. Luckily they are old enough now that I don't have to keep an eagle eye on 'em and I kind of let them do their thing so I could do mine :D

After about an hour my little one says "Mooooom can we go now????" I said to him "Can't we stay a little longer???" I promised him we'd stop for Happy Meals if we stayed so we had a deal!

All shot w/ KM5D & Tokina 100mm Macro in manual focus, external flash diffused with a couple layers of a white sheet. I'm having a heck of a time getting my autofocus to lock on the eyes of anything so I pretty much gave up on it.

C&C welcome and much appreciated. :D

Ahhh thats what I like .... a mother who knows how to make a deal rolleyes1.gif
    When you get that close the Auto Focus will often not lock on, and usually you have to revert to Manual Focus.

You did very well indeed........ I really love that first shot iloveyou.gif

Great Series Charla clap.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    I really like the first image -beautiful composition! thumb.gif

I manually focus all the time when shooting macro -the camera just doesn't put the point of sharp focus where I want it.
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • CharlaCharla Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Thanks so much for the comments everyone! :D

Well I'm glad to hear that it's not user error with my focus issues. Or as my husband the mechanic likes to say "I think you have a loose nut behind the wheel" mwink.gif
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    That first one is my favorite. Nice set.

Focus is tough on macro work like this, even when you have it where you want it, the slightest movent forward or back will move the focus point. It is tough shooting. You did well.
  • CharlaCharla Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    GREAPER wrote:
    That first one is my favorite. Nice set.

Focus is tough on macro work like this, even when you have it where you want it, the slightest movent forward or back will move the focus point. It is tough shooting. You did well.

Appreciate the comments :D

Focus really is tough and it's especially hard when you have a 5 year old tugging on your pockets! My little guy doesn't understand why I ask him not to touch me when I'm shooting. Maybe someday I'll teach him how to shoot macros and then proceed to poke and prod him while he's trying it. :D
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    Beautiful
    i loved them
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    Very nice series! I especially like 1, 2, 4, 5...lovely composition, DOF and colors! Great job!

It sounds like we have a couple things in common...KM 5D and a 5 yo boy who doesn't understand that when I'm squatting down low to photograph something, that's not an invitation to lean on me!! :D

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography