Am I an Idiot or What...

druhldruhl Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited February 24, 2007 in Cameras
Never thought I'd come out of the lurker shadows like this. It was supposed to be the best day of my life (in recent history anyway). I've made the move from a Dimage Z6 to the Rebel XTi. I've lusted for this camera and it's predecessors for a very long time. My XTi arrived via UPS from B&H today (the psjan** code was still good for $20 savings). With every intention of doing 'this' right I charged the battery while I ran some errands. I watched the XTi JumpStart guide I'd purchased before doing anything. I still couldn't get past step 4 of the Canon Quick Start guide! I put a CF card in and got a message telling me something was wrong with the (brand new) card. I tried a few more times before giving up and trying another (brand new) CF card. A wave of nausea washed over me as I got the 'something is wrong with the CF card' message again.

Peering into the slot with a flashlight I realized one of the pins was bent. You'd think I'd have had the sense to stop right there. I didn't.

The pins all still seem to be connected. A part of me wants to get a good nights sleep, a better light source and a magnifying glass and try it again tomorrow. The other part of me says stop while you're ahead and return it to B&H for some professional help.

That I even have to ask for advice concerning this probably isn't a good sign. Anyone have any experience in this area? I hate to send my new camera off for a potentially expensive / time consuming repair when I haven't shot picture one yet. On the other hand if I'm only going to make it a more expensive / time consuming repair by 'monkeying' around I need to know that.

Advice, consolation, berating and humiliation all anxiously sought.

Thank to all.

Donn
"The following statement is true. The preceding statement was false." George Carlin

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    Welcome o Dgrin Donn. wave.gif

When I got my brand new D2X from B&H a short while ago I had problems with the camera's metering. I called B&H and returned the defective camera to them and upon receipt of the defective camera they shipped a repalcement camera to me the whole process took about a week.

Call B&H and explain the problem to them. They will get the situation corrected. Don't try any "self-help" solutions. You waited this long for the camera so a few more days won't kill ya.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    I agree with Harry. Just contact B&H. They will make it right.
  • silicasilica Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    Even if you manage to get it working, there will always be a nagging fear that something is not right. You might even wonder if the camera is dependable, and you should not have to do that. So return it to B&H as already suggested.
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    silica wrote:
    Even if you manage to get it working, there will always be a nagging fear that something is not right. You might even wonder if the camera is dependable, and you should not have to do that. So return it to B&H as already suggested.

I fourth that.

I guess your decision is made! haha. now go get a good night's rest.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • druhldruhl Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    Thanks Guys for telling me what I think I already knew. I'll call B&H tomorrow and keep you posted.

Donn
    "The following statement is true. The preceding statement was false." George Carlin
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    dealing with B&H has been painless for me regarding returns and exchanges. I'm talking about returning a $1600 lens the last possible day.
    Exchanging a 70-200 2.8IS for a 70-200 2.8.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited February 14, 2007
    Following your advice I discovered exactly what you (all) suggested I would - the B&H customer service rep seemed more concerned I was satisfied with my purchase than anything else. I had the RMA # in just a few minutes and a prepaid UPS label by the end of the day. My camera is on it's way back to New York.

In retrospect the whole idea of trying to fix it myself is more than a little embarrassing. What was I thinking? Thanks for the rational advice (and a gently nudge back toward reality!)

Donn
    edited February 24, 2007
    All's Well That Ends Well
    Awkward as it is returning to this thread (the whole affair remains somewhat humbling) I want to assure anyone interested that my experience with B&H was exactly what everyone commenting above said it would be.

The customer service rep, Richie, didn't question my intelligence or abilities and made it clear B&H's first concern was my complete satisfaction with the purchase and keeping me as a customer. I was provided a prepaid UPS label via email and off my XTi went. I can't imagine it having been any easier.

Yesterday my new XTi arrived. The card slotted as expected and I've begun a new chapter in my photographic journey.

Thanks folks for sensible advice. Oh, and Harry, you were right. A few more days didn't kill me.

yelrotflmao.gif Donn
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2007
    Great news Donn. I'm glad you're still alive. We all look forward to walking with you through the next chapter of your photography with posts here.

Welcome aboard!

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 24, 2007
    druhl wrote:
    Awkward as it is returning to this thread (the whole affair remains somewhat humbling) I want to assure anyone interested that my experience with B&H was exactly what everyone commenting above said it would be.

The customer service rep, Richie, didn't question my intelligence or abilities and made it clear B&H's first concern was my complete satisfaction with the purchase and keeping me as a customer. I was provided a prepaid UPS label via email and off my XTi went. I can't imagine it having been any easier.

Yesterday my new XTi arrived. The card slotted as expected and I've begun a new chapter in my photographic journey.

Thanks folks for sensible advice. Oh, and Harry, you were right. A few more days didn't kill me.

yelrotflmao.gif Donn

I love a happy ending. Hooray for B&H!
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums